Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Aug 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I personally would never leave cash for a tip. Years ago a large group of us went out to dinner and left a good amount of cash on the table for the meal and tip. Someone removed the money from the table and out waiter came running after us accusing us of stealing the meal.

Since that time, I decided unless I am tipping change for a coffee, I will add the tip to my credit card slip. While I'd love to think we are a country of hones, upstanding citizens and visitors, we are not. It's so much easier to steal cash, especially that left on a table.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
munchie63
Getting Excited

love these threads, they always bring a smile.

As has been said...when in Rome.

Its widely known that staff are taxed on expected tips so thats kind of why they expect the recommended amount. And tbf why service in Florida is usually very good - and different to a lot of places in the UK where its often just a 'was everything ok' 5mins before they bring you the bill.

I've always accepted tipping as part of the florida experience and just go with the flow. Unless service ahs been bad, which in 4 trips it never has.

the example above of $1250... you have to remember tax, and that its usually split between front and back of house staff.
munchie63 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

TBH I just see it in the cost of the food. Just as I don't complain when a buffet breakfast is $38 (I would NEVER pay £30 in the UK for breakfast) I also don't complain about the tip. To me it is part of the cost of the holiday and I just put it in the budget. If I didn't like it I would eat elsewhere.
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

I always tip the 18% suggested amount for normal service, more for good service where they go the extra mile. If the service is truly bad (very rare) then 15%.

Edited at 08:01 PM.
YLL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Can anyone remember what you write on the receipt so that the server keeps 100% of the tip so that the tax man doesn’t take a cut? I saw it years ago but I have forgotten now.

Also the top servers in Disney made 6 figures a long time ago, I wonder how much that has increased now.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pinball View Post
Can anyone remember what you write on the receipt so that the server keeps 100% of the tip so that the tax man doesn’t take a cut? I saw it years ago but I have forgotten now.

Also the top servers in Disney made 6 figures a long time ago, I wonder how much that has increased now.
I work in tax, and I really can't think there would be anything you can write on a tip that means it won't be taxed (although not everyone declares them!). You may be able to write something that means the restaurant can't take a cut, though.
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by munchie63 View Post
Its widely known that staff are taxed on expected tips so thats kind of why they expect the recommended amount. And tbf why service in Florida is usually very good - and different to a lot of places in the UK where its often just a 'was everything ok' 5mins before they bring you the bill.

It is widely thought, however one quick glance over US tax law will demonstrate that this is simply not true.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
It is widely thought, however one quick glance over US tax law will demonstrate that this is simply not true.
Agreed. I can think that what might be true though is that staff might be taxed on expected tips in the year & then given a refund at the end of the year if actual is less than expected. This would be consistent with the fact that many Americans overpay tax and look forward to their end of year refund.
Old 6 Aug 18, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumsy554
Gone all Goofy

Tipping

Does anyone think that the "suggested" amount to be tipped in restaurants should be changed or even scrapped altogether.I am certainly not against tipping for good service ,but I don't want to feel guilty about not giving a suggested amount and don't think someone should expect a certain amount ,surely something is better than nothing,and with the current dollar exchange rate we are getting less and less for our money so less spending money on a holiday that has probably taken quite a while to save for
Mumsy554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 18, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mumsy that's our problem not theirs. Doesn't matter if you leave 1% or 18% the server will still be taxed as assuming they got 18%.
The "suggested" amounts, in theory, are there to help all those guests that are sitting with their calculators & working it out
It just is something that you have always had to factor into your holiday, in 1992 it was 10% & gradually increased to where it is now.
It is a foreign concept to us because it's not normal in our country but in the US it's normal practice to tip someone that does you a service.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread