Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 4 Aug 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Hevfev View Post
It's the 23rd.
I'm not sure the difference between them they all look the same lol small, medium, large :/
Yes it does seem like a really good price actually. I'll go for the intermediate- is it bigger or something?
Also do I pay via the site but pick up from Alamo still at the airport?
Thank you Mr Morrow

OK. Some cars are tiny and you will be dominated on the roads out there. I would go Intermediate for the room and a better 'feeling' on the road. probably be a Toyota or similar.

You will pay Andy via debit card in your case so fully protected. Then he will e mail you a contract like all suppliers do. He will help you do online check in if you wish. You can e mail him to help you or wait until he is online and do live chat.
On arrival you just rock up to the Alamo desk and they will show you where to go. Nice and easy.

Edit. What a saving as well! I cannot believe what Tui charge for insurances, pure profiteering. Sad.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 05:48 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hevfev

I know I've contributed a lot to this thread but I may have missed how big your party size is and where you're staying.

If it's anywhere in the WDW I guess you'll use 417 from SFB (first time driver - best in my opinion ) but don't forget you only want a biggish car for luggage so that only impacts on two journeys per holiday.

We are only a couple and often have a full size car but going back to the airport with 4 cases often have two on the back seat.

Mick
Old 4 Aug 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Hevfev

I know I've contributed a lot to this thread but I may have missed how big your party size is and where you're staying.

If it's anywhere in the WDW I guess you'll use 417 from SFB (first time driver - best in my opinion ) but don't forget you only want a biggish car for luggage so that only impacts on two journeys per holiday.

We are only a couple and often have a full size car but going back to the airport with 4 cases often have two on the back seat.

Mick
It's just 2 adults and 2 young children. I'm trying keep the luggage on the low because of Carrying it all and having the kiddies.
We are staying at the Wyndham on I-drive and flying with Tui into Sanford.
Is Sanford okay to drive from I thought it was a little further away than MCO? TY

Edited at 08:28 PM. Reason: Typo
Hevfev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We stayed in the Wyndham albeit it was back in early 2002 and it was twice the size it is now. Sadly they sold off a load of it to build shops etc.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
It's just 2 adults and 2 young children. I'm trying keep the luggage on the low because of Carrying it all and having the kiddies.
We are staying at the Wyndham on I-drive and flying with Tui into Sanford.
Is Sanford okay to drive from I thought it was a little further away than MCO? TY
Have you booked the car yet?

SFB to your hotel is 36 miles. MCO to hotel is 14. We haven't driven from SFB since 2008 but regular Dibbers who use both frequently say you usually get through immigration far quicker at SFB so the slightly longer drive is worth it.

Now that you've hopefully sorted the car hire perhaps we should talk about tolls. before you see any threads on here that might worry you. We regular contributors on the car forum are 99% a helpful bunch and try to contribute objective and factual advice.

First of all there aren't many of them and secondly with Alamo you've chosen the best Sunpass scheme. You will certainly get around I-Drive, WDW, Universal and the malls without worrying about tolls. However as I suggested earlier I would propose the 417 from SFB. It is a toll but no reason to worry.

The Sunpass is self-activating but unfortunately I'm not sure how a DC works instead of a CC. We know that the DC is enough to drive the car away - maybe someone who has only used a DC can positively confirm whether they can pay Sunpass out of it.

So let's assume you will pay cash. All tolls on the main carriageway of 417 are manned. Go through the "pay cash" lane and pay the attendant no more than a $20 bill and ask for change. You might need some quarters to pay cash at unmanned plazas on off-ramps.

The main tolls around WDW are the 408, 417, 429 and 528. You might use the 528 if going to Kennedy but apart from the SFB trip you can avoid the others.

Not having done SFB for 10 years I can't remember exactly but I guess about five toll plazas and maybe $8 or $9 each way. Traffic on 417 maybe 10% of I-4 and the Interstate has serious roadworks in the Downtown area.

Any other queries please come back.

Mick
Old 4 Aug 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Hevfev
slightly serious Dibber

Hevfev's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Have you booked the car yet?

SFB to your hotel is 36 miles. MCO to hotel is 14. We haven't driven from SFB since 2008 but regular Dibbers who use both frequently say you usually get through immigration far quicker at SFB so the slightly longer drive is worth it.

Now that you've hopefully sorted the car hire perhaps we should talk about tolls. before you see any threads on here that might worry you. We regular contributors on the car forum are 99% a helpful bunch and try to contribute objective and factual advice.

First of all there aren't many of them and secondly with Alamo you've chosen the best Sunpass scheme. You will certainly get around I-Drive, WDW, Universal and the malls without worrying about tolls. However as I suggested earlier I would propose the 417 from SFB. It is a toll but no reason to worry.

The Sunpass is self-activating but unfortunately I'm not sure how a DC works instead of a CC. We know that the DC is enough to drive the car away - maybe someone who has only used a DC can positively confirm whether they can pay Sunpass out of it.

So let's assume you will pay cash. All tolls on the main carriageway of 417 are manned. Go through the "pay cash" lane and pay the attendant no more than a $20 bill and ask for change. You might need some quarters to pay cash at unmanned plazas on off-ramps.

The main tolls around WDW are the 408, 417, 429 and 528. You might use the 528 if going to Kennedy but apart from the SFB trip you can avoid the others.

Not having done SFB for 10 years I can't remember exactly but I guess about five toll plazas and maybe $8 or $9 each way. Traffic on 417 maybe 10% of I-4 and the Interstate has serious roadworks in the Downtown area.

Any other queries please come back.

Mick
36 miles you say 😳😨 oh my. I may have stained my pants already 😂🙈
Are the roads pretty straight through?
I haven't yet paid for the car but will do in the next few days. I've definitely made my mind up about that.
Tolls- I was going wing it and just pay cash I thought they were only about 70c (I think I've wrote that right) each time?
Would the sunpass be a good price and do you just drive through if you have one?
I know planning a Disney holiday is hard work but I think I've met my match with organising the driving over there 😅
Thank you
Hevfev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
36 miles you say 😳😨 oh my. I may have stained my pants already 😂🙈
Are the roads pretty straight through?
I haven't yet paid for the car but will do in the next few days. I've definitely made my mind up about that.
Tolls- I was going wing it and just pay cash I thought they were only about 70c (I think I've wrote that right) each time?
Would the sunpass be a good price and do you just drive through if you have one?
I know planning a Disney holiday is hard work but I think I've met my match with organising the driving over there 😅
Thank you
First of all the toll roads (and most roads) are wide, mostly straight and lanes a bit wider than ours. Have you read the driving guide yet? The roads are also well signposted.

Tolls on the main carriageways are around $1.50 to $2.00 mainly. On/Off-ramps 75 cents or $1.

If you can use DC to pay Sunpass it's very easy. I'm sure that Andy at DFCH can confirm. You need do nothing except drive through the Sunpass lane. A camera will take a photo of your plate and Alamo will charge you about 4-6 weeks later. Alamo charge you an admin fee of $3.95 per day that you use the Sunpass plus the actual toll fees. So when I said your journey may cost about $8 with Sunpass it will be $11.95. Alamo do cap the admin fee at $19.50 (plus tolls). Use it four days it will be $15.80. Use it 12 days it's capped at $19.50

Mick
Old 4 Aug 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
……….. and dare I mention satnav?
Old 4 Aug 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

……….. and dare I mention satnav?
Dont Andy's cars come with free Satnav
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Dont Andy's cars come with free Satnav
I believe they can but we never have one.

Mick