Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Sep 18, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Driving in Florida

I have been driving for over 20 years and very confident, I have no issues with driving through the likes of London or M25.
We have been to Orlando 7 times now, but I have never wanted to drive. Am I being stupid and is there anything to really worry about.
Im not sure if its down to:
- watching crime programs when I was younger and people taking the wrong exit off the freeway and being shot.
- watching to many movies where people take a wrong turn and find an abandoned village with murdering hill billies in.
- just wanting to relax and not drive.
- driving on the wrong side of the road and car.
- strange rules of the road, like being allowed to turn right on a red light.
- The Florida driving test is insainly easy and their driving is mad.

If I was to drive, should I worry about any of these things. We have friends that have been out there and i wouldnt call them a good driver in the UK and have no issues.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 18, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamsOfOrlando
Excited about Disney

My husband does the driving and he was really anxious about it before we went, but he said it’s super easy! He actually prefers driving in Orlando to home! You’ll be fine honestly
DreamsOfOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
kat90
VIP Dibber

Driving in the US is really really easy, I actually prefer it to driving at home!

I've only driven in Orlando once, but a few years ago I drove from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon then to Phoenix. I think in total it was 6 hours. I always felt perfectly safe and except for the weather, I didn't have any issues.

Turning right on a red light is actually a great rule, so is overtaking in any lane on a freeway and you don't really notice that you're driving on the other side of the road.

Crimes shows and movies are never a good comparison to what it's really like, they only ever show you the bad stuff.

You also have so much more freedom with a car. Honestly, there's nothing to worry about

Edited at 01:40 PM.
kat90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 18, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I would suggest you look at where you want to go and work out how you are going to get there. Sometimes the 'back roads' are the best.

Two Dibb Royals will be on hand to help and advise, Tom M and Mick.

Both have excellent knowledge of the roads in Orlando

Disney332
Old 27 Sep 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

honestly it is really easy. the cars are all automatic so drive themselves pretty much. I have driven over there from being a young girl in early 20's going with just a friend and no parents and it was really daunting but give yourself about a day and it becomes second nature you stop thinking about it. I've been lost over there A LOT! especially trying to get from Universal to international drive ended up on vineland - don't ask. been no problems and everything was fine. there are no roundabouts and you get used to whether you are going east or west very quickly from your hotel. Try it you will wonder what all the fuss was about and it makes things a lot easier over there. I like to stay on site now but still like to have a car.
skstorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. If you are confident and take care it's fine. I have been driving out there for 42 years and although the roads are now busier the cars are better.
The only thing to watch out for is their use of mobile phones whilst texting is horrendous so keep a decent distance and watch your rear view mirror.

The M25 and the I4 are broadly similar namely full of idiotic drivers
Get away from that road and it's similar to a City here.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
From one who's hired a car maybe 35 times and driven around 45,000 miles I guess you won't be surprised if I say it's easy.

Seriously there is a good DIBB guide to driving over there. Recently updated by Mr Tom Morrow with a little input from me.

Yes - I have to be honest. There is some bad driving over there but cavalier rather than aggressive. The I-4 is very busy in parts but no worse than the M25 in parts. You rarely see headlights flashed or horns beeped in anger.

Mick
Old 27 Sep 18, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

What I find interesting…..is how often it is just one of the party that drives. My wife drives over hear all the time, but never over there. Ok, apart from the time I parked at the far end of Port Orleans car park and got out and she drove to out apartment. That didn't make her change her mind.

It's not easy if you have never done it before, getting in a car you have never driven before, with steering wheel on wrong side, automatic, everyone driving on wrong side, in a storm, not sure where you are going sat nav not working…………but we have all done it.

Very individual thing to how easy it is, and how long before you find easy. I would say about my third trip. But even on our 8th this year we got lost going MCO to Seaward on arrival (sat nav signal up the creak) and had the usual er, cross words….

Never found the murdering hillbillies….my fear was finding the village from the Howling….
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 18, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
What I find interesting…..is how often it is just one of the party that drives. My wife drives over hear all the time, but never over there. Ok, apart from the time I parked at the far end of Port Orleans car park and got out and she drove to out apartment. That didn't make her change her mind.

It's not easy if you have never done it before, getting in a car you have never driven before, with steering wheel on wrong side, automatic, everyone driving on wrong side, in a storm, not sure where you are going sat nav not working…………but we have all done it.

Very individual thing to how easy it is, and how long before you find easy. I would say about my third trip. But even on our 8th this year we got lost going MCO to Seaward on arrival (sat nav signal up the creak) and had the usual er, cross words….

Never found the murdering hillbillies….my fear was finding the village from the Howling….
Joan has driven a total of about one mile in Florida. Around the block at Regal Palms about 10 years ago. But I have to say that I really enjoy it so I never put any pressure on her to have a go.

Mick
Old 27 Sep 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

If you can navigate the M25 confidently and around the idiot drivers, Im sure Florida will be fine. My hubby loves driving in Florida but hates the M25. He was nervous on his first time driving there, but now he loves it. Just take your time, make sure you familiarise yourself with wipers, lights and everything before you leave the rental place. Says she who leaves it all to hubby