Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 13 Jan 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylady
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Is discovery cove ok for poor swimmer

I am a very nervous swimmer, would I get a good experience and would I get value for money.
disneylady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Hels80
VIP Dibber

They have life jackets and pool noodles that you can use around the lazy river which is very very deep in places.
The reef is very shallow in parts, but if you want to go out to the sharks, you need to swim as it's much deeper.
If you do the dolphin swim, you can opt to let the dolphin pull you across the shallows rather than out in to the deeper water. When you meet the dolphin, you're stood waist high in water for most of it.
I would watch one of the many You Tubers- like Tim Tracker you tube videos on Discovery Cove to see what you think.
Best Western I drive 1997, Regal Palms 2009, Wedding at Beuna Vista Palace 04/08/09, Coco Key 2010, Art of Animation, RPR Universal, Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014, RPR & Disney's Swan 2017, Rosen Inn @ Pointe, Hard Rock Hotel, Port Orleans French 2018.

DLP: :
Best Western MLV 2007, Hotel Cheyenne 2008, Sequoia Lodge 2010, Dream Castle 2011, Kyriad MLV Torcy 2012, Hotel El'ysee 2012, Hotel Cheyenne 2013, Sequoia Lodge 2015.
Hels80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylady
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I would love to go but I'm worried that I would miss out on doing things, great idea to watch Tim Tracker thank you
disneylady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

If you’re nervous at all and not a great swimmer opt for the shorty wetsuit rather than the vest. The wetsuits give you buoyancy so you won’t sink. The dolphin swim would be fine as it only takes place in waist deep water. The only part I’d say to take care in would be the ‘lazy’ river. In places the water level can become deep very quickly and if you’re not expecting it it could give you a bit of a fright. The grand reef is fine and mostly shallow and after a few minutes swimming after the fish you’ll soon relax and begin to enjoy the experience. Do it, it’s a great day out.

Edited at 12:31 PM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I can’t swim and I’ve been twice - loved it both times! Pick up a life vest when you go in. I used that in all the different areas and had a noodle in the lazy river too. I wouldn’t hesitate to go again!
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DLP-in-Sept
Helping Minnie

Mobile

I'm a non-swimmer, in fact I'm afraid of being out of my depth in water, and I enjoyed discovery cove. I did the shallow dolphin swim and wore a buoyancy aid when I went around the lazy river. I didn't go into the reef because of the fish. I'm also a bit larger than average and felt safe with the buoyancy aid and as there were so many other adults wearing them, I didn't really look out of place!
DLP-in-Sept is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelE
Excited about Disney

I'm not a strong swimmer at all and I had a fabulous day at DC. I wore a buoyancy vest for my dolphin swim (and just did the shallows pull along), in the lazy river and in the grand reef. Once I got over my initial panic (and the cold!), I absolutely loved the grand reef. I was fascinated by all the fish and swam way out of my depth. I felt so safe with the buoyancy vest and am so glad I didn't let my fear hold me back.
RachelE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
disneylady
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you all you have really reassured me I'm going to take a look xxxx
Old 13 Jan 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

another rubbish swimmer here - loved DC... did the dolphin swim and the grand reef and the lazy river and just wore the buoyancy vest ... it was such a fun day with some great memories. I did do the dolphin swim in the deep end too as they do put you at ease .. I can swim a bit though - just not very strong.

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
As everyone else said, they have swimming aids to use if you're a non-swimmer, did it when I was 12 and couldn't swim and still had a great time.
Holidaylover19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List