Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scousepete37
Trainee Dibber

Agree on comments about being careful on what you say. I guess like most things it depends largely on the individual you are dealing with. Last year going through I asked about teabags and did I need to declare them He smiled and joked that us Brits love our tea and he was fine.
scousepete37 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo50
I have Ears

In December 2018, we did not have to complete the immigration form usually handed out on the plane. Don't dawdle off the plane and get in the queue as soon as you can. We were asked if we had any food with us, how long and where we were staying and much cash we had. I said what food we had (teabags, chocolate and concentrated squash) and double checked my understanding of 'cash'. He wasn't interested in the amount on our pre-paid card, just physical money. Just said where and for how long we were staying and that was it. All very friendly, professional and speedy. We were asked as a couple, but I did all the talking!
jojo50 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by jojo50 View Post
In December 2018, we did not have to complete the immigration form usually handed out on the plane. Don't dawdle off the plane and get in the queue as soon as you can. We were asked if we had any food with us, how long and where we were staying and much cash we had. I said what food we had (teabags, chocolate and concentrated squash) and double checked my understanding of 'cash'. He wasn't interested in the amount on our pre-paid card, just physical money. Just said where and for how long we were staying and that was it. All very friendly, professional and speedy. We were asked as a couple, but I did all the talking!
Thanks for the reply- I vaguely remember the forms on the plane over- how do you know whether or not you have to fill them out?
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

thanks for all the responses! I definitely won't worry, I've already told my friend it may take two hours so we'd be happy with anything under that really! Hopefully it'll be the longest queue of the holiday
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Sorry to jump on your post OP.

My parents are currently living with my husband and I. Can we all go up together even if we have different surnames? My husband and I used to go up separately before we were married even though we lived together as that's what the form used to say.
Old 20 Jan 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
To add to all of the above... anything we should know? Yes just follow instructions, and park any temptation for silliness or sense of humour until you're out the other side.

As for going up together, I would if you live together. In fact I would unless other wise instructed... presume to go together, but if told otherwise just go separate, and don't argue about it.
Yep, I'm pretty sure not messing with immigration officers is rule no.1 of getting into any country

I'm always too worried about making sure I have all my paperwork together, and ready to answer any questions to make any jokes, but I know this is good advice for some!
Old 20 Jan 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Sorry to jump on your post OP.

My parents are currently living with my husband and I. Can we all go up together even if we have different surnames? My husband and I used to go up separately before we were married even though we lived together as that's what the form used to say.
no problem, hope someone can answer your question for you!
Old 20 Jan 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
no problem, hope someone can answer your question for you!
Thank you!
Old 20 Jan 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

If you haven't been for many years, they will probably do the fingerprint scan. We go every year, and we didn't have to do it this time, but my daughter did as she had hit 14.
Old 20 Jan 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Indeed. In all the times we've gone through US immigration I've never encountered a rude or aggressive officer. OK so they're not auditioning for a comedy role on "America's Got Talent" but they are doing a difficult job and, as you say, don't appreciate any smart Alec contributions from us.

Just be polite and confident in your responses and you should expect the same back.

Mick
Ohhhh but I met one that was auditioning Mick!

Last visit in 2016... immigration officer asked where I was staying and I told him Disney’s Polynesian Resort...he asked what for? So I said..’Family holiday...’

He said...’Are you sure? Because they have convention centres at Disney and are you sure you’re not attending a bomb convention?’ Then he bursts out laughing... and I’m just in shock... like do I laugh or deny it or laugh?

I went for a nervous giggle and was waved through
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List