Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Jul 14, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
batleyboy26
Imagineer

Alamo Savetime? Think it depends who you get!

We booked Alamo Savetime a couple of months or so ago as it's advertised as 'turn up at the desk, collect your keys and go'.

We landed at MCO at 7.30pm last night, getting to the Alamo desk at about 7.45pm (left the boys getting the cases whilst we went for the car). There was quite a queue so it was after 8.00pm before we got our representative who tried to get us to upgrade the car -

'you won't fit 4 adults and 4 cases in the mid-size SUV' - reply - yes we will, we've had one for the last 3 years

'well what about a luxury car with leather seats and GPS?' - reply - thanks but don't need leather seats and certainly don't need GPS, we've been coming to Orlando for over 20 years, think we know our way around'

'roadside assistance? You've only got the basic roadside assistance, you really need the more comprehensive package' - reply 'we've never needed it in over 20 years, we'll chance it as the money we've saved over the years will cover anything'

'different car hire companies have different sized mid-size SUV's, even though you say you've hired mid-size before, ours is a RAV4 or equivalent, you REALLY won't get 4 adults an 4 cases in the car' - reply - 'that will be our problem and I am very sure that we will manage'

'gas - do you want to bring it back empty, we have a very competetive price of $3.32 a gallon which you won't find cheaper anywhere else' - reply - 'we will fill it up at the gas station next door to the airport which we've been using for years and check the prices online - always cheaper'

After 15 minutes of his trying not to accept no for an answer (he did say you can't have been coming for over 20 years as I don't have you on my system as a previous hirer and we keep records for 10 years - reply was that last time we used Alamo they were offsite about 14 years or so ago and since then we've used other companies who have been cheaper than you)

We were not happy bunnies last night and really don't think we'll be using Alamo any time in the future either unless their prices are massively cheaper than their competitors.
1991 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa;1992 - Hawaiian Econolodge; 1993 - DLP, Sequoia Lodge; 1998 - DLP - Cheyenne; 2000 - Buenaventura Lakes Villa; 2004 - Oak Plantation Resort; 2006 - Holiday Inn Sunspree; 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 - Bahama Bay
batleyboy26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
w3dal
Imagineer

the whole point of doing savetime and or OLCI is to miss the desk - or am i missing something and you did the desk anyways and you dont mention which desk - the one in the airport or the one at the carpark?
Old 24 Jul 14, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by batleyboy26 View Post
After 15 minutes of his trying not to accept no for an answer (he did say you can't have been coming for over 20 years as I don't have you on my system as a previous hirer and we keep records for 10 years - reply was that last time we used Alamo they were offsite about 14 years or so ago and since then we've used other companies who have been cheaper than you)
Seriously? Was he checking up on you to see if you lying? How rude
Be it you were a first time customer or one who has rented 50 times..he should have been a bit nicer. Catch more bees with honey than vinegar!

I tell ya though..this is exactly why we try to avoid the desk at all costs. Some of those people who work in the car hire industry are sneaky and or rude although, I have to say we have ecountered some really nice people over the yrs so it can be hit and miss.

Good thing is...that part is over now. Enjoy your holiday!
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by w3dal View Post
the whole point of doing savetime and or OLCI is to miss the desk - or am i missing something and you did the desk anyways and you dont mention which desk - the one in the airport or the one at the carpark?
100% agree. I must be missing something too.

We book savetime (or Dollars Express system)...walk out to garage, paperwork is waiting for us ...they hand over the paperwork and normally go back to the conversation they were having with a colleague when we walked up lol No sale or anything as I've already chosen all my options online.

No need at all to go to the desk.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

We had Savetime with Alamo and had the same experience. It didn't work at all - tried to check in at the computer kiosk and it said we were staying too long. Lady gave me the same spiel about a standard SUV not fitting everything in.

I agree with above the Dollar system is much more effective.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Sorry, just to clarify as my post above didn't make it clear. We've used Savetime and Express and both have always worked the same for us at MCO. Simply walk out to the garage, grab your paperwork and go pick a car. Its that simple.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
jimboy2
Apprentice Imagineer

Yeah your not supposed to go to the desk if you have done save time. That's where you went wrong
jimboy2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Emma & Lloyd
Apprentice Imagineer

When we completed save time it still told us on the paperwork to go to the desk. Only when we completed online check in, did the paperwork now instruct us to 'go direct to garage '.
Emma & Lloyd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I understood that the SaveTime paperwork specifically says to go to the desk. All it does is save time as you have already provided the details up front.
At least that is what mine said last week at MCO.
However most people ignore this and go straight to the garage and this seems to work for most people - hence bypassing the desk.
I think the Alamo official position is still going to the desk?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 14, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Save time with Alamo u do go to desk OLCI with Alamo u don't
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread