Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Apr 15, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Thanks for sharing. This will be interesting as we are hiring a car for the day from Port Canaveral after our cruise. I'm sure we will get wifi out at sea to get th code the day before!

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jimmymc
Apprentice Imagineer

Neither my husband or myself have a photo driving license we both only have the old paper license and have never had a problem when hiring and picking cars up in the US. Does this new rule mean we have to get a photo id license?

Maureen
jimmymc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ginger ninja
Imagineer

ginger ninja's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
What a palavar! can see it going terribly wrong

ginger ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jimmymc View Post
Neither my husband or myself have a photo driving license we both only have the old paper license and have never had a problem when hiring and picking cars up in the US. Does this new rule mean we have to get a photo id license?

Maureen
No Maureen - your original paper driving licence remains valid until such time as a name or address change, then you will only be issued with a photo dl.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
ilathi
Excited about Disney

just as my 'to do' list gets shorter some government whiz kid adds something else to remember to do on it -.-
ilathi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jules_ni1
Very Serious Dibber

Thank goodness for the Dibb... but how the heck does this work for people in Northern Ireland. We cant use the share my licence thing and our licences look the same!
Old 25 Apr 15, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

When any carhire changes my terms and conditions I will take into consideration not a journo story.
Old 25 Apr 15, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Jamiesnanny
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for the info would never have thought to check that thank god for the dibb
Grande Villas Resort
Enclave Suite 2013
Jamiesnanny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
When any carhire changes my terms and conditions I will take into consideration not a journo story.
It isn't just a "journo story" though. As of June the 8th this year, the paper counterpart of photocard driving licenses ceases to be a legal document. If a car hire company chooses to allow a rental to go ahead without accessing the new online record, that will be up to them (and since hardly anyone in the UK is aware of this change, I expect many foreign hire companies won't be either!) But legally, the paper counterpart will no longer be a valid part of your driving license after this date and this won't just affect newly issued or renewed photocard licenses, but ALL photocard licenses.

Personally if going in the next few months I'd still take the old counterpart (despite the DVLA advice to destroy it) to allow for a hire company not knowing the new regulations, but also take the new code as well.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 15, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Nothing is ever simple anymore! Thanks for the info.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread