Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 26 Sep 16, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Phone as a Sat Nav

I've always carried a Sat Nav, but I'm thinking of ditching it and going with the phone.

Any suggestions/thoughts welcome.

Three options I've tried so far:

- HERE We Go
- Maps.Me
- Google Maps

HERE We Go is the most impressive in terms of navigation. Works offline so no unnecessary data usage and therefore works even in places that have no signal. However getting POIs/Favs in is a pain. No import of KML/KMZ as far as I can tell. Audi, BMW and Daimler backing, so probably here to stay for a while.

Maps.Me has good import facilities (e.g. works with KML), not quite as good as HWG in terms of the navigation though. Also works offline flawlessly.

Google Maps online consumed about 1MB per minute, or just under, in a test I did at the w/e. Data consumption not a biggie, but online annoying if you go to areas with no signal. At one point it drained the battery faster than the charger could put it back. Navigation is pretty good, but I cannot work out how to get my Google My Maps to work with it?!? Offline use is clunky.

Anybody have any difficulty finding satellites in the US with these products? I had this issue in California last year. I tried many times but in the end I just gave up and used a Sat Nav instead. Seems odd, you'd think the GPS tech would be the same?!?

Car Phone Mount
What mounts do you use, and how good were they?
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MOONCHESTER
Very Serious Dibber

MOONCHESTER's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Used navigator it was fine free from play store, create poi, favs etc whilst on WiFi and then you can use offline, finding satellites is more to do with how good your phone is than the software, I used it on a Samsung 8 inch tablet with no data simm and it was great.
MOONCHESTER is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Eureka
Excited about Disney

Eureka's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
By far the best app we use is Waze.

This works in the US just as well as the UK and as it has live updates from people travelling it is always up to date.

Nav is great on it. We use it all the time when we are over there and have never got lost.
Old 26 Sep 16, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
djy
Getting Excited

Another vote for WAZE. Great app. Use it all time in the UK
Old 26 Sep 16, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Used NavMii last two trips without issue, uses offline maps so no data usage issues
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mercator
Proud to wear my Ears

I'm using Google maps at the moment and would definitely use it again. It's very accurate and you can do searches for all the Walmarts in the vicinity for example. You can download an area for offline use if you're worried about data. It shares the same live traffic as Waze. I use it with a standard windscreen mount and satellite pickup is pretty much instantaneous.
Mercator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 03:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Im using here maps offline atm.
Staying in kissimee as i right this

Works perfectly and offline maps includes points of interest by the looks of it. All i have had to input is my hotel first word and found it.
Same with universal and sea world. No need to know the address.

Without a doubt i recomend here maps

Edited at 03:24 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by Coupedummy View Post
Im using here maps offline atm.
Staying in kissimee as i right this

Works perfectly and offline maps includes points of interest by the looks of it. All i have had to input is my hotel first word and found it.
Same with universal and sea world. No need to know the address.

Without a doubt i recomend here maps
Does that cover as far as Busch gardens and Daytona Beach/Speedway when offline?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Essex Benjy's!
Imagineer

Just back and used Navmii for three weeks and it's brilliant.
If you have an I phone it has a built in GPS so you're just downloading the maps before you leave.
We visited Busch Gardens too, you just need the Florida maps.
Essex Benjy's! is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 16, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
This year I took 3 I had my TomTom which I bought Canadian maps in the sale for. Then my "old" phone which was replaced earlier this year that I could use purely as a sat nav and then my new phone with satnav on too Nothing like being prepared

I used the Tom Tom in Vancouver and it was great, but when we were driving down to Seattle it wouldnt let me plot the route as US maps and Canadian maps are different map groups you have to load. I could plot to the border but would have to plot again and start the process all over again the other side. So I plotted it with Google maps on my new phone with data. I had downloaded the areas offline and it was so good I stopped using the tom tom. It knew the road works and bridge closure which the Tom Tom didnt and would always offer the fastest route.

If you have data then use Google Nav. Download the maps first to save on the amount it needs to download and speed of response and then away you go.

I bought a phone mount from ebay before we went. It did the job but my new phone was too heavy for it so I stuck it just high enough on the screen so it touched the dash to keep it up
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Edited at 09:57 AM.
Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List