Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 27 Nov 16, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Great thread.

I'd read on other sites how easy this was, but from reading here it seems to be a bit hit and miss

I'd read they just subtract the cost of your current ticket from the AP and that's that. The tricky bit sounds like them not knowing about the UK tickets and/or currency conversion.

We intend to do the same thing, either earlier this year if we squeeze in another visit or when we are next scheduled to go in Sep/Oct.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 16, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post

It also depends which annual pass you upgrade to. The very basic one has blackout dates for most English half terms and certainly all summer.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 16, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
It also depends which annual pass you upgrade to. The very basic one has blackout dates for most English half terms and certainly all summer.
No blackout dates with Disney annual pass. You may have been thinking about universal
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 16, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Reply from Disney

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Walt Disney World Ticketing.

All multi day Magic Your Way ticket upgrades must be done in person at
Walt Disney World Resort, within 14 days of first use or until there's
one day left on the ticket, whichever comes first. Any one day Magic
Your Way ticket must be upgraded in person on the date of use. Florida
Residents also have the option of upgrading in person their one day
Magic Your Way ticket within 14 days of first use.

An upgrade applies the current value of the ticket towards the purchase
of a new ticket of equal or greater value. Remember, tickets are
non-transferable and must be used by the same person for all days the
ticket is valid.

In addition, as you are upgrading your ticket to a Passholder product,
we will need to see a valid government-issued photo ID for each adult 18
years of age or older. Proof of Florida Residency may be required.

You may visit any Ticket Window or Guest Relations location at our Theme
Parks or Disney Springs. Our Cast Members will be happy to assist you
with determining the best upgrade option for your needs.

As prices are subject to change without notice, for specific upgrade
information, please visit us online at disneyworld or by calling
407-W-DISNEY (407-934-7639) for current information regarding ticket
prices and options.

Thank you again for contacting us, and we look forward to seeing you
soon.

Sincerely,

Grant
Ticketing Guest Services
Walt Disney World Resort
2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 16, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
No blackout dates with Disney annual pass. You may have been thinking about universal
No I'm not. I live here, I buy annual passes most years and I have to buy gold to get the days I want. I don't buy universal passes, it doesn't interest me.
Old 27 Nov 16, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
No I'm not. I live here, I buy annual passes most years and I have to buy gold to get the days I want. I don't buy universal passes, it doesn't interest me.
I think only Florida residents can buy the APs with black out dates. The lowest AP we can buy via DVC discount is Gold.
Old 27 Nov 16, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I think only Florida residents can buy the APs with black out dates. The lowest AP we can buy via DVC discount is Gold.
OK. Didn't realize that it only applied to residents.. I could see someone upgrading and then not bring able to use them.
Old 9 Dec 16, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sydneymj
Disney Imagineer

Im August 2016 I puchased a 21 day Ultimate Ticket for WDW from Supertrips.net even though we was only staying for 14 days, went to Disney Springs Welcome Center and upgraded to a AP Platinum Pass originally they wanted to charge me £366.66 including tax but said I was aware that other DIBB members had got it much cheaper recently, the CM then came back to me as said they could do it for £262.00 including tax which I purchased, great value, we are going back soon for the holidays and are going to do the same again for my wife plus they are giving 13 months for the price over 12 months on AP.

Oct92 Quality Inn Plaza, Jun96 Robbins Rest-Villa Kissimmee,Sep98 Westgate Villas Kissimmee,Apr01 Royal Palm Bay Villas,Jan04 Indian Ridge Oaks Aug05 Indian Ridge Oaks, Aug08 Indian Ridge Oaks, Jul14 Windsor Hills, Disney Dream Cruise & Indian Creek Villa.Aug16 Windsor Hills,Xmas Dec16 Windsor Hills.August 18, Aug 22 BLT, Windsor Hills, Disney Fantasy & OKW, Aug 23 Disneyland California, LA, San Francisco, Windsor Hills & Disney Fantasy.

Edited at 03:18 PM.
sydneymj is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 16, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Disney seem to make the prices up as they go along
$380 with no water parks
$331 with water parks
The $380 was the price to upgrade the 14 day Ultimate to the Platinum pass.

Whereas the $331 was the price to upgrade the 21 day Ultimate to the Platinum Plus pass.

The prices of the tickets were different in August to what they are now (or back on 27th Nov).

The exchange rate was different back in August compared to what it is now (or back on 27th Nov).

So you're not comparing like-for-like. Hence why the prices are different. People can only tell you what the price to upgrade will be now or in the past. They can't say for certain what the price will be in the future.

Originally Posted by Spencerfamily View Post
I don't know the answer definitely as we didn't actually do it last year but asked at Epcot (int gateway) and were told $440 as we had used water parks etc.
As Spencerfamily had visited the waterparks then they had to upgrade to the Platinum Plus pass. This costs $883. Subtracting $440 from this results in a price of $443. Last year, the exchange rate was around $1.5 to the £ and so $443 would have been equivalent to £295. That sounds about right for the cost of a 14 day Ultimate ticket back then.

Assuming Disney use today's price on their UK website for a 14 day Ultimate (£419) and an exchange rate of $1.26 to the £ then I'd expect to pay approximately $355 (about £280) to upgrade to a Platinum Plus pass or $270 (about £215) to upgrade to a Platinum pass. If there is any change in the price of their Ultimate tickets, Annual passes, or the exchange rate then I'd expect the price to upgrade will change too.

(BTW, Disney increased the price of the annual passes back in Feb. There's a reasonable chance they will do the same thing this coming Feb).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:17 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 16, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

I agree with Nimbus' breakdown. It appears this is rather like those threads where one group of folks say a park is busy on a particular day and another group says it's not. What they forget is the former went at midday and the latter at rope-drop

I wrote to Disney over a week ago about this, just to get an official response and to have them confirm they understood we would have UK tickets purchased in sterling and would therefore need to be currency converted.

This was their response:

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort. The price you paid in pounds should have been equal to the cost in US currency. When you are here, you will be paying the difference in cost (In US Currency) from the 14 day ticket and the annual pass.

You may also wish to call 0870 24 24 901 in advance to see if you can upgrade your tickets now to the annual pass.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Athena Vogt
eCommerce Sales and Service Team
This ties in with exchange rates being rather pathetic and a gloomy outlook next year. Buying APs next year and subtracting the 14 day price, including free parking, has to be compared with potential exchange rate hikes/drops in future months heading into 2018.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List