Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 19, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I agree with the portable units being noisy. We put ours on in the bedroom a couple of hours or more before we go to bed. The exhaust hangs out of the window but then I pull the curtains across the open window to try and keep some heat out. I have noticed that the air in the bedroom is a lot fresher and drier. When it is time for bed, the unit is switched off and we use a fan to blow cool air over us. So far that has worked. I dread the day we might have to get the air con unit downstairs. It is so heavy.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Spooky
Getting Excited

great info... thanks all...
just need to get on with moving house now
Spooky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

Hope you don't mind me joining the conversation but with a different question re air con ….. …. with built in units, what are the running costs approx.? I know all dependant on size and how long on etc but a rough idea would help? Thanks
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrochetFreak View Post
Hope you don't mind me joining the conversation but with a different question re air con ….. …. with built in units, what are the running costs approx.? I know all dependant on size and how long on etc but a rough idea would help? Thanks
I don't know for sure, but say a 2.5kw unit on full power would cost almost 50p an hour to run, but you wouldn't have it on my maximum power all the time, so I reckon it wouldn't cost more than about 18p an hour once the room is up to the desired temperature and then it's just maintaining it, and it might even be less. I have economy 7 so it's even cheaper than that.

The proper units are inverter condensor run (unlike the cheap ebay units), so they are more economical to run.

To us it's worth every penny to get a comfortable nights sleep and block out the outside noise when leaving windows open.

Temperature looks like it's going up to 28 degrees next week (West London), so ours will get used a lot.

Edited at 08:10 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We bought one for my son’s room last year that also is a dormer roof. It is an Inventor Cool 8.000 btu/h and was £292 although I don’t know if still available.
Dh made a fitting for the window so the vent is sealed and it works quite well although is noisy but was invaluable last Summer as it was so hot. If it was like that every year we’d invest in fixed a/c but not sure it’s worth it for the few hot days we normally get
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List