Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 20 Mar 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

DAS pass and shows / parades

Hi all,

My OH plans to ask for a DAS pass when we go in Sept due to a condition he has (not a mobility condition, so I hope we do get a pass).

How does it work re shows / parades? The nature of his condition makes it difficult for him to for example sit in a show theatre 30 mins prior to performance and also he might need urgent access out of wherever we are (queue, show, etc).

Do you get access into the FP area with the DAS pass or do you have to go in the disabled area, or is there no provision at all?

I know he would rather miss a show than stand in the disabled area, his is a hidden disability and it causes him great anxiety/embarrassment which would be tenfold worse if he was told he had to stand in the disabled area.

Thanks for any help

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mylittleminion
Helping Minnie

when we used the das pass you used the fastpass lane/section
and as far as I know the only disabled sections they have are those allocated for wheelchairs so there is no way for anyone to know he has any kind of disability based on where you sit.
For shows I picked seats as close to the back/exit as possible so that if we needed to leave in a hurry we would disturb as few people as possible.
The only thing I would mention is even using the fast pass section seating still starts as early as 30 mins before show starts and while you do not need to be there that early as you have a space allocated the later you enter the less choice there will be available. It does depend a little on when you travel as some times of year are quieter and so the shows are less busy and it shouldn't be too much of a problem if you happy to be nearer the back but worth knowing esp if your travelling with someone who has anxiety issues or who might struggle with limited seating choices.
Mylittleminion is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mylittleminion View Post
when we used the das pass you used the fastpass lane/section
and as far as I know the only disabled sections they have are those allocated for wheelchairs so there is no way for anyone to know he has any kind of disability based on where you sit.
For shows I picked seats as close to the back/exit as possible so that if we needed to leave in a hurry we would disturb as few people as possible.
The only thing I would mention is even using the fast pass section seating still starts as early as 30 mins before show starts and while you do not need to be there that early as you have a space allocated the later you enter the less choice there will be available. It does depend a little on when you travel as some times of year are quieter and so the shows are less busy and it shouldn't be too much of a problem if you happy to be nearer the back but worth knowing esp if your travelling with someone who has anxiety issues or who might struggle with limited seating choices.
Thank you so much for your reply

That makes me feel better, thanks. It all depends if he is having a good or bad day, but the not knowing and uncertainty regarding how long he will have to wait / being confined with no exit can turn a good day into a bad one very quickly.

Dare I ask if there are any provisions for the fireworks at MK (I guess not as there are no FP for this)? Epcot fireworks not so much of an issue as it's more spread out around the lake and we will position ourselves near some toilets

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
Thank you so much for your reply

That makes me feel better, thanks. It all depends if he is having a good or bad day, but the not knowing and uncertainty regarding how long he will have to wait / being confined with no exit can turn a good day into a bad one very quickly.

Dare I ask if there are any provisions for the fireworks at MK (I guess not as there are no FP for this)? Epcot fireworks not so much of an issue as it's more spread out around the lake and we will position ourselves near some toilets
I don't believe there is one other then an area for wheelchair users. I believe this is near the centre of the hub as well, probably not idea for you.

I was going to add that I'm sure when entering the line for shows, etc, you can ask a CM where the nearest exit/toilets are or asked to be seated near them. When we did shows in Feb some of the people waiting to get into the theatre first weren't in wheelchairs or with anyone in wheelchairs, so probably had other accessibility issues and had certain seats they needed. I think they would definitely try and help you!

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So show wise I only ever utilise the disabled access in certain ones due to the light levels and not being able to negotiate steps. In Lion King they sit anyone with a disability need in the front 3 rows (they have them signed off so that you shouldn't sit in them if not disabled). Finding Nemo is the worse as this is dark and doesn't really allow any provision for getting people with additional needs in first. Frozen Sing-a-long have a seperate entrance area they let in first and again will then direct you to the first two rows to sit in.

What I've found is that most CMs will accomadate your needs as long as you explain them to them. And you should be able to get a DAS with no issues so this will help as it will flag up to them as well. Its hard when you don't have a visible sign of a disability so the DAS works well for this.

Edited at 08:36 AM.
gismo1554 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List