Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

Wow that is a huge candy haul!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill247 View Post
We walked to the Boardwalk this morning for breakfast from the Bakery. It was a lovely walk around the lake which only takes about 10 minutes.

DH picked one of their hot sandwiches; Butter Butter Sandwich (Brioche Bread, Shaved Ham, Scrambled Eggs and Buttery Fontina Cheese Spread). He really enjoyed this although said he could have eaten two of them as it was quite small!

We had our refillable mugs with us so he swapped out the drink that comes with the QS sandwich for a croissant for DD. DD also picked a Chocolate Chip Cookie for later. I picked a Cinnamon Roll, this was served warm and really tasty.

DDs croissant wasn’t very nice, it tasted like a stale croissant that you would buy in a pack from a supermarket, not a bakery type if that makes sense. The cookie was also quite stale. I think she had picked wrong here, their cupcakes looked lovely.

This was around $20 but we used a QS credit and 2 snack credits.

We had a look in the shops at the Boardwalk. The candy counter in one of them looked lovely. I planned on coming back here to pick something but again ran out of time. While on holiday I would Whatsapp some photos back to my Mum and sister, their favourite was when I sent photos of the sweet counters so they could imaginary pick what they would choose if there

After a few hours at the pool we cooled down with take-out ice creams from Beaches and Cream. DD picked a Waffle Cone with two scoops of Strawberry Ice Cream

DH picked an Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich with Butter Pecan Ice Cream and Hot Fudge Sauce.

I picked a Coke Float with Diet Coke and Vanilla Ice Cream

These were delicious! These were all $7.50 but qualified for a snack credit.

Tonight we were going to MNSSHP, we got to MK before the party started to use some FPs and I had booked a 4pm ADR for The Plaza Restaurant on Main Street.

The restaurant is quite small, the Ice Cream Parlour is next door and they share a kitchen. It’s a lovely location, and has some lovely details and décor, but its looking a little grubby and I think in need of a refurb. Our table had a lovely view of the castle.

To drink DH ordered a Sangria which he said was lovely.

I ordered a Strawberry Milkshake, this was ‘all you care to drink’ but I didn’t manage more than one. It was lovely though.

DD ordered a lemonade and to eat the Grilled Chicken Strips. We didn’t have the option to add any vegetables and it looked rather beige. The chicken was coated in what was like ruskoline and really quite dry so she didn't eat much.

DH ordered Home-style Meatloaf (Hearty slices of Meatloaf served with Red Skinned Garlic-Mashed Potatoes and Seasonal Vegetables). He enjoyed this but said it wasn’t the nicest meatloaf he has and prefers my step Mums that she makes for him!

I ordered the Baked Honey-Barbecued Brisket Mac & Cheese (Baked Pasta in Cheddar Cheese Sauce sprinkled with Crispy-fried Onions and Scallions topped with a Barbequed Beef Brisket). This was ok, the Mac & Cheese was very stodgy and not very cheesy, it stuck together in one big lump. The Brisket was nice though so I ate this.

For dessert DD ordered the Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies and Milk which she enjoyed.

DH and I both ordered the Butterscotch Bread Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream (Warm Butterscotch Bread Pudding topped with Caramel Sauce, Butterscotch Morsels and Vanilla Ice Cream)

On the menu this sounded delicious but we both only ate a couple of bites. It was extremely heavy / clangy, it was quite hard to put a spoon through it. The top had a burnt taste and was really dry even with the caramel sauce and ice cream. So disappointing and I wish one of us had ordered something different to try.

I had booked this as the menu looked lovely and I thought it was a good idea to have a sit down meal before a long night at the party, but if I was doing again I would have just had a QS somewhere or snacked around the party and kept our table service credits for another meal. It wasn’t an awful meal, but definitely the bottom of all the meals we had this holiday and I wouldn’t return.

The bill was $97.72 and we used 3 TS credits.

I braved the long line in Starbucks to get us a Very Berry Hibiscus drink using a SC. These are sooo refreshing!

During the party DH and DD snacked on some of the candy we collected at the trick or treat stops. We stopped to watch the parade and got a spot outside the Christmas Shop. While we waited I popped over to Sleepy Hollow and got us a Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich to share. This came with house-made chips (crisps) and I got a diet coke. $14.50 but I used a QS credit.

I had been sooooo looking forward to trying this after seeing it on many food blogs and Disney foodie forums. Unfortunately the waffle was really soggy, not sure if it just hadn’t been given the time to go crispy or if the coleslaw made it like this. The chicken was really tasty though, it has quite a spicy kick, and the coleslaw was delicious so we ate this and binned the waffle.

We also used a snack credit to get a juice at Cosmic Rays while DD napped in buggy and we rested our feet for a bit. After an hours nap DD got a second wind and finished the last of the trick or treat stations – the CMs got very very generous with the candy as the night got later. We managed to get round all the stations before midnight. DD was excited to get back to our room to count her candy haul!

We brought most of this home (in hand luggage as it was too heavy for hold allowance). Despite giving lots away, and eating quite a lot, we still have so much. I suspect we will still be eating till Christmas!

Day total – 3 TS, 2 QS, 7 SC - $166.00

DDP Trip Overview
9 TS Used
11 QS Used
18 SC Used
3 Mugs Activated
Total Value Used - $668.00
How have I not yet had a takeout ice cream from Beaches & Cream?! We haven't really explored that area much but think I need to rectify that next year!
Gutted about that butterscotch bread pudding, it sounded so good 😭😭
Never tried a waffle sandwich, is this the only place you saw them?
Just showed my DD (she is 6) the picture of your DD's Halloween haul - her eyes nearly popped out her head! 😂😂😂 we go August but am considering booking the first MNSSHP date so she gets to experience it, just a bit unsure given how early in the year it is?
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill247
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow that is a huge candy haul!
It was, and we saw lots of people leaving with a lot more than us!

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
How have I not yet had a takeout ice cream from Beaches & Cream?! We haven't really explored that area much but think I need to rectify that next year!
Gutted about that butterscotch bread pudding, it sounded so good 😭😭
Never tried a waffle sandwich, is this the only place you saw them?
Just showed my DD (she is 6) the picture of your DD's Halloween haul - her eyes nearly popped out her head! 😂😂😂 we go August but am considering booking the first MNSSHP date so she gets to experience it, just a bit unsure given how early in the year it is?
We made use of the take out counter at Beaches & Cream a few times over our stay, its so lovely and amazing use of a snack credit if on DDP! They also do 'hard' shakes and floats but I never had the chance to try although they looked amazing.

Yep the spicy chicken waffle was only available from Sleepy Hollow in MK, they do other waffles, including nutella and strawberries too.

You should definitely book MNSSHP for next year, everyone should experience it at least once, its so much fun! We did all the treat stations, lots of rides which were walk on, met Moana (the only character we wanted to queue for), saw the parade, fireworks and hocus pocus show. It goes by so quickly and you can't fit everything in, but was one of our holiday highlights!
Gill247 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

So much delicious looking food!

The shakes in Toothsome look amazing, we are definitely going to go there just for dessert.

Shame that The Plaza wasn't great, still it looks like you had a fab time at the halloween party and that is one very impressive candy haul!
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill247
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by GALE88 View Post
So much delicious looking food!

The shakes in Toothsome look amazing, we are definitely going to go there just for dessert.

Shame that The Plaza wasn't great, still it looks like you had a fab time at the halloween party and that is one very impressive candy haul!
Toothsome desserts were gorgeous, and the restaurant has such a great atmosphere!

Thanks for reading!
Gill247 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 18, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill247
Excited about Disney

Day 6 - Hurricane Hannahs Pool Lunch and Yak and Yeti

After our late night at MNSSHP we had a lazy morning by the pool and decided to have lunch here.

At Beach Club (and Yacht Club) you can get Quick Service food at Hurricane Hannahs which is beside Stormalong Bay.

We ordered;
Me - Pulled Pork Sandwich (served with BBQ sauce and Coconut-Apple Slaw and French Fries). This was delicious, the pork was juicy and had a lovely BBQ sauce. The apple coconut coleslaw was really tasty and the fries were hot and crispy. I really enjoyed this.

To drink I had a Pina CoLAVA (Bacardi Raspberry Rum blended wth Pina Colada Mix and Raspberry Puree). These are so refreshing and yummy!

DD ordered a Kids Cheeseburger (served in a Sand Pail with sides and choice of drink). She loved that it came with a bucket and spade, so much so she didn’t want to finish her lunch as was too excited to get back in the pool / sand area. She enjoyed this and the chocolate milk and cookie were snacked on later.

DH – Wasn’t feeling particularly hungry, but after DD and I sat down with our food he changed his mind and went to order! He asked for an adults Chicken Tenders and fries – this isn’t on the menu but it’s on the kids menu so asked if they would do a larger portion. He didn’t fancy a beer or cocktail and as he refilled his mug at the drinks station he kindly ordered me another Pina CoLAVA, mmm mmm!

I made a bit of a silly mistake here as I paid for DDs meal OOP, believing it wasn’t a great use of a QS credit, but forgetting that we weren’t exactly short of these (and in the end gave some away). So lunch was 2 QS ($44 value) and $9.49 oop.

Oh it was a bit complicated ordering too, as the food counter won’t serve cocktails / beer, so I had to wait and order at the bar, then they sent the order over to the food counter, but DDs kids meal had to be ordered at the food counter, so there was a bit of tooing and frowing to order and collect. The bar had a couple of food options which sounded lovely, but were not included on DDP / QS.

Before leaving the pool DH fancied an ice cream so popped to Beaches and Cream and ordered a 2 scoop tub of vanilla and butter pecan. He loved this. 1 Snack Credit used ($7.50 value).

We headed out to Animal Kingdom later this afternoon and after getting absolutely soaked on Kali River Rapids (the ride brokedown and our boat stopped at exactly the spot where people on the bridge can press the button to spray water at the boats, for the 5 minutes that the ride didn’t move I had water continuously spray me, much to the hilarity to everyone else in the boat who was completely dry! It was like sitting in a shower) we had to check in for our ADR at Yak and Yeti. I had tried to dry off, which was utterly useless as my clothes were drenched, under a hand drier, so unfortunately my memories of Yak and Yeti aren’t the nicest as I was absolutely freezing sitting under the ice cold air con in wet clothes. However, the food was delicious!

We ordered;
To drink I had a Yak Attack (Mango Daiquiri, Don Q Cristal Rum with Wildberry Flavours), this was lovely, not very strong, like a frozen fruity drink. DH ordered a South Seas Traveler (Myer’s Original Dark Rum and Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, Monin Lychee Syrup and citrus juices). DD ordered an apple juice and this came in a souvenir cup to take home.

DH – Korean BBQ Ribs (Half Rack of slow roasted St. Louis pork ribs, zesty BBQ sauce, crispy shoestring fries, kimchi slaw). Our server had explained that the sauce on the ribs was very spicy and recommended getting this on the side as a lot of people liked to try it first. However DH didn’t think it was spicy in the slightest and would have preferred it over the ribs as no sauce made them quite dry. He tucked in never the less.

I had the Honey Chicken (Tempura Chicken, fresh vegetables tossed in honey sauce served with jasmine rice). This was really good. Nice crispy chicken, lovely sauce and well cooked rice. I really enjoyed this.

DD had the Mac n Cheese, this came with grapes and a yogurt. DD said it was the nicest so far this holiday.

We also ordered 2 extra sides to share, Coconut Shrimp and Chicken Fried Rice. The rice was nice and had lots of flavour but the winner here was the shrimp and I wish we had ordered 2 portions of this as it was so good.

For dessert DD had an ice cream cookie sandwich. This was a generic desert from a packet but she liked it. I did find that most restaurants don’t make much effort with the kids desserts?

DH had Pineapple Upside-Down Cake (served warm with Vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce) which he loved.

I had the Mango Pie (Shortbread cookie crust whipped topping, raspberry sauce). This was gorgeous. I loved the buttery biscuit base and it had a lovely mango flavour, really creamy.

The bill was $123.99 – 3TS covered this plus we paid $15.00 OOP for the 2 sides.

We did rush through this meal though as I was so cold, so would like to go back on our next trip and enjoy it more.

On the way out of the park DD picked some candy floss for a snack credit and ate some of this on the bus back to hotel.

And that was it for food today! I felt really unwell when we got back to hotel, I had been in cold damp clothes for hours and felt so shivery. So I made a lemsip in my refillable mug and sat in the hot tub to warm up and had an early night. Thankfully back to full appetite tomorrow!...

Day Total - 3 TS, 2 QS, 2 SC and $25 OOP for DD lunch and extras at Yak and Yeti

DDP Trip Overview
12 TS Used
13 QS Used
20 SC Used
3 Mugs Activated
Total Value Used - $825.00

Edited at 01:11 PM.
Old 16 Nov 18, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

The pineapple upside down cake looks delicious - I am seriously thinking yak and yeti next trip, such a shame you couldn't fully enjoy it 🙁
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Mobile

Some lovely looking meals and your daughter is adorable.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
OllieT
Imagineer

OllieT's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Wow Wow Wow, your Halloween treat haul 😳😳
Great trippie 👍🏻
Old 21 Nov 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great day! Yak & Yeti is one of my favourite TS restaurants at Disney. I think the fact that it isn't Disney owned and operated really shows. I only wish we were going back here next week but not enough time to fit in all the places we want to eat.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List