Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Mar 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
ilovetigger
Earning More Ears

BA flydrive - Avis car hire

Can anyone help please I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

We are collecting the hire car from the Hilton at Disney Springs. Will we be able to use a debit card (we do not have credit cards) for the pre authorisation fee/security deposit? If so, does anyone know how much is put on hold? Has anyone done this recently?

The more I am reading into this, the more conflicting information I am finding.

Many thanks
ilovetigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

i used my Debit last time and I don't think they took anything. Might have took a $ but that was all.
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ilovetigger
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Thank you. Did you hire from this location too?
ilovetigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

If you have a VISA debit card yes you can use it
My last 2 booking $100 was taken on a hold it dropped off after car was returned.
This is from my own experience and not from what I have read or heard.
Avis reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to seek a Debit Card authorization hold in excess of the estimated rental charges. When using a debit card at Avis there will be a hold of $200 plus the estimated rental charges placed on your account.
Hired from Miami Airport and from Park inn hotel Kissimmee

Debit Card Policies

Most U.S. locations accept bank debit cards with the Visa or MasterCard logo as credit identification at the time of rental if you are at least 25 years of age. In most cases, U.S. locations will perform a credit check for debit card renters to determine credit worthiness at the time of rental. The renter must meet Avis' minimum criteria in order to rent. Currently, at all U.S. and Canada locations, debit cards are not acceptable as credit identification at the time of rental for all makes and models identified in the Avis Signature Series and for certain other premium vehicles. Debit cards are also not acceptable as credit identification at the time of rental at locations in the Metropolitan NY Tri-State area, Hartford, CT, Philadelphia area, Mississippi or Louisiana locations as well as other locations across the country. Canada locations do not accept bank debit cards as a form of credit identification. Debit Cards are acceptable for payment at the completion of your rental.

Also be advised that some Avis locations do not accept debit cards as a form of payment. Upon paying your rental with a Debit Card, Avis will generally request an authorization hold against your account for the estimated charges of the rental but reserves the right in its sole discretion to request extra value based on certain factors as we deem appropriate. Some exceptions may apply. THESE FUNDS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR USE. When the rental is over we will process the reversal but the bank may take time to post it back to the account.
There terms show you can use a debit
avis/car-rental/html...R1_4.20.16.pdf

avis/about-avis/pre-authorisation

Edited at 01:02 PM.
TEL N KEL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ilovetigger
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Thank you for this. Yes we have a VISA Debit so should be good to go.
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ilovetigger View Post
Thank you for this. Yes we have a VISA Debit so should be good to go.
You should be fine then, I think the hold on the card is kind of hit and miss but I would advise budget for them putting a hold on it, especially as it is a debit card.

In my case I rented a car and a hold of $100 was put on I returned that car and collected a new rental same time and a second hold of $100 was put on 2 days later the first hold fell off. On returning the second car got home and the hold had fell off when I checked.
Old 19 Mar 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ilovetigger
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Thanks. Not worried about the hold as such, but good to have an idea of approximately how much. Was more concerned that they would not accept a debit card! Then we would have a problem.
Old 19 Mar 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

You will be fine to use a debit card aslong as there is enough money in the account to cover the hold charge
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
ilovetigger
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlandoguy View Post
You will be fine to use a debit card aslong as there is enough money in the account to cover the hold charge
Thank you