Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Mar 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It’s been several years since I’ve been but back then you had to put any bags you had through an x-ray machine whenever you entered the Disney village. We had to do it every day when staying onsite. Also any cars or buses arriving at the onsite hotels had to scan their luggage.

Have things changed in the last 5 years?
As I said in my two posts, when I was there a couple of years ago bags were x rayed on arrival at the hotel and every day at the entrance to the Disney Village.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post

It’s been several years since I’ve been but back then you had to put any bags you had through an x-ray machine whenever you entered the Disney village. We had to do it every day when staying onsite. Also any cars or buses arriving at the onsite hotels had to scan their luggage.

Have things changed in the last 5 years?
We Drove in to the car park of DLH, pulled up outside was directed to park, got our bags out of the boot, carried them over to the check in desk, checked in, took them to the room, then i popped back to the car to grab a box with our drinks and snacks in, took that straight to the room

after the 3rd day i popped back to the car and grabbed the 2nd box with drinks and snacks in and carried them to the room

our stuff wasnt even looked at, none of it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

I was eating dinner in Annette's on Saturday night. We saw a few people running back from the station and thought that looked a bit weird, then a minute or so later this massive crowd of people just rushed the restaurant screaming and crying and shouting for us to run. Ended up outside some backstage office where the CMs were telling us to stay down and be quiet. 5 mins or so later my other friends confirmed it was a false alarm and we headed out onto the main road and back round to Val D'Europe. The whole thing must've only lasted about 5 mins or so but it was a very scary 5 mins, I've never seen terror in people's eyes like the people that were running towards me in the restaurant. So many poor people were incredibly shook up and crying. I have to say though Disney dealt with it really well. The security CMs jumped straight into action and tons of police were onsite in a matter of minutes.

Fwiw I've stayed at DLH and our bags always got scanned before entering the lobby. Same with the other onsite hotels.
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
It's a bit worrying to think that people must be so wound up nowadays that a faulty escalator making loud banging noises can cause so much terror and panic.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

It's a bit worrying to think that people must be so wound up nowadays that a faulty escalator making loud banging noises can cause so much terror and panic.
my thoughts exactly...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
dav220588
Imagineer

Most people didn't know what was going on though, we just had people running and screaming telling us to run. As someone who lives in London the scene running through my mind immediately was a Westminster or London Bridge style incident.

Also how many people would hear a loud bang and then think it was a faulty escalator in the first place?

Edited at 11:53 AM.
dav220588 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
FindingMerida
Apprentice Imagineer

FindingMerida's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bigkitty266 View Post
The express is saying a controlled explosive is being carried out x

This makes me so mad. So irresponsible for a news outlet to report things that are blatantly not true and just add to the panic.

My husband and I have discussed this over the years, if we are anywhere we we don't feel safe we'll grab the kids and run for it. Mass panic, or lives saved? I'll take the chance and run anyway.

Also, it sounds like the CMs handled things extremely well - this gives me confidence that in a real emergency, they'd know what to do.

Thank goodness it turned out to be nothing, hope everyone caught up in it is ok xxx
May 2016 - DLP Newport Bay Club Oct 2016 - DIBB Villa, BLT
Jun 2017 - DIBB Villa, HRH, AKV
Mar 2018 - DLP Magic Circus Jun 2018 - DCL Magic 7 Day Med
Sep 2018 - DLP 36K Challenge Nov 2018 - DLP Sequoia Lodge at Christmas
Apr 2019 - DIBB Villa, AKV, BLT
Sep 2019 - DLP 36K Challenge
Oct 2019 - DCL Fantasy 7 day Western Caribbean
Sep 2020 - DLP 36K Challenge
FindingMerida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by dav220588 View Post
Most people didn't know what was going on though,
Yes, that's my point. They didn't know what was going on and yet automatically assumed the very worst and panicked.

Originally Posted by dav220588 View Post
Also how many people would hear a loud bang and then think it was a faulty escalator in the first place?
Again, that's my point. It's more likely to be a something fairly innocuous, like an escalator, than something more serious. In the past, we would have been worried, concerned and wondered what all the noise was about. However, we wouldn't have run in terror automatically assuming it was a terrorist (or similar).

Many of the people running in panic hadn't even heard the bangs and were nowhere near the train station. They just panicked because people around them were panicking, which in turn led to more panic.

It's worrying that many of us are in that state of near panic.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 05:42 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Adcro
Serious Dibber

The end of the story is that there was a malfunctioning escalator in the train station which made some clanking and banging noises which some thought were firecrackers and some thought was gunfire. People panicked and ran because in this day and age you never know.

However cast members and security were on it straight away and had everyone safe and sound and evacuated, and security were there and ready. Brilliant. THAT'S what I want to hear, not fake news from outlets like The Express trying to sensationalise things and whip people up into more of a panic.

They're the equivalent of the person at the fire drill who says "I can smell smoke..."
Adcro is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I just missed the tube that was caught by the 7 July bombs.

I worked round the corner from Westminster Bridge on the day of the incident.

Neither event stopped me going to work the following day.

You can’t live your life in ‘panic mode’.

Be sensible, yes, of course, but no more than that.

And this is not a new thing. When I was in school we were convinced a nuclear attack was imminent. When I first moved to London there were 14 IRA bomb scares in the first month. Heck, even as a kid in the 70s I came home from school early because of a bomb threat to my school - in a sleepy Welsh village. It turned out to be teenagers messing about.

Edited at 02:23 PM.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List