Notices
Social Groups Social Chatty type threads

Old 10 Oct 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Oh! My family are a right lot! I suffer with depression, my DD depression, anxiety and OCD and their late father had bipolar disorder. The biggest issue I face, day to day, is that our MD doesn't believe depression exists and is made up by doctors who don't have time to figure out what's actually wrong. He says people just need to pull themselves together and get on with it! That lack of understanding and level of ignorance is my biggest bugbear! I decided, a few months ago, to stop dying my hair, I'm grey, that's all. I'm so tired of the pressure on people to look a certain way, I'm rebelling. I actually fiund it quite liberating. This is me, take it or leave it! I'm very, a bit overweight and not overly blessed in the looks department. At 57, it's the first time in my life, I don't care. I'm me.
Old 10 Oct 17, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

Thanks for this thread. I have anxiety and depression. My wife has anxiety, depression and PTSD. Life can be hard but it's easier when you can talk openly at least.

I'm about to have a conversation with my manager's manager about the way my disability was treated when I was recruited for my current job. That meeting is Friday and I asked her for it today as a tribute to it being WMHD. I need to flag it so that no one else is treated the same... weforgotthesperm/2017/05...talk-about-it/
laurac1988 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
dibdob59
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by scottishmum View Post
There are so many degrees of mental illness too.
It’s also tough on families caring and living with people with mental illness who don’t actually know they are ill. That’s the cruellest thing ever.
This ^^^ absolutely.

I would not wish having to live with family members like this on anyone. It is overwhelming and exhausting.

Love and strength to everyone in this situation

Dibdob
dibdob59 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
I'm currently going through the second bout of mental health issues in my life. The first in my 20's, this one in my 40's.

The first time I was very secretive. I didn't want anyone to know I was taking anti-depressants or struggling with day-to-day life in a way that they appeared not to.

I now work in health and this time I felt a responsibility to be completely open with everyone I know including my colleagues at work. They know the cause and severity of my anxiety and depression, the medication that I'm on, the symptoms of my illness and the side-effects of the medication (mainly sedation and a bit of woolly mindedness). I have been pleasantly surprised at just how helpful, supportive, kind and open about their own issues everyone has been. I've had absolutely nothing negative and lots of positives happen due to this openness.

It's really helped and, I suspect, has been the difference between me being able to carry on working (a protective factor) and being off on long-term sick.

Sometimes I think the stigma only exists in our own heads.
I agree with this almost completely. About a year ago, I was really struggling with things. I have always worked " too hard" in my own mind, and felt my employers just took me for granted. I was open with my employers when my daughters eating disorder started as I needed time off for appointments etc , but when I started having problems myself in dealing with that, along with a couple of other home issues, and the overwhelming pressure of work, they were brilliant. It's fairly obvious you are at a low ebb when you are sat in your office crying your eyes out in the middle of the day , but the support I got from everyone, local manager, regional manager, the directors etc was phenomenal and helped me no end.
I have not found one person who has reacted badly when discussing my daughter , or my own problems , a few don't understand , but whilst they have no empathy , they still have bags of sympathy .

I would thoroughly recommend anyone who is struggling but bottling it all up, to open up to family, friends, employers . A huge weight will be lifted off your shoulders and you can begin the recovery from there
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
beautybutterfly
Imagineer

beautybutterfly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
'Mental Awareness Health Day' is quite ironic really given that I had a full on melt down/panic attack at the dinner table this evening - I made everyone in my family very well aware of some of the effects!

A divorce and buying a house at the same time are not the most conducive with good mental health!
Westridge North May 2014 | DLP The Kyriad March 2015 | Southern Dunes May 2015 | New York and Toronto October 2015 | Highlands Reserve DIBB villa May 2016 | LA & Vegas October 2016 | New York December 2016 | The Keys & Orlando Lake Berkley Dibb Villa April 2017 | Las Vegas MGM Grand May 2018 | Wyndham Resort iDrive April 2022 | Rosen Inn LBV Aug 2022
beautybutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

I am proud to say I have suffered with mental health issues, apparently I am high risk as a diabetic... but back in 2010 my world was slowly being turned upside down, made redundant, getting in contact with my mum again and my father in law passing away sent me west.

Best thing I ever did, breaking down in front of the dr

Don't be afraid to talk peeps
Stew_the_red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 17, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

I have suffered with depression and anxiety for over twenty years and undiagnosed post natal depression - I am now happily back on track - I do still suffer from social anxiety but have fought it enough to travel to Florida in 2014 and am planning our next trip in 2019 - the best thing that I ever did was break down in the doctors office and get the support I needed - counselling didn't help me but finding myself again did - I brought a horse (have ridden for years but never owned) - that little guy helped me through my depression. I'm not suggesting everyone buy a horse 😂 but find time for you - get exercise or take up a hobby you once had that makes you happy

It's been a tough few years but I can now see the light and have stepped in to it - my recovery started by talking - and I am amazed by how many of those around me have felt or feel the same way. You are not alone x
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
I have suffered with depression and anxiety for over twenty years and undiagnosed post natal depression - I am now happily back on track - I do still suffer from social anxiety but have fought it enough to travel to Florida in 2014 and am planning our next trip in 2019 - the best thing that I ever did was break down in the doctors office and get the support I needed - counselling didn't help me but finding myself again did - I brought a horse (have ridden for years but never owned) - that little guy helped me through my depression. I'm not suggesting everyone buy a horse 😂 but find time for you - get exercise or take up a hobby you once had that makes you happy

It's been a tough few years but I can now see the light and have stepped in to it - my recovery started by talking - and I am amazed by how many of those around me have felt or feel the same way. You are not alone x
Your last sentence is key here, isn't it? How many of us think we're the only ones who ever felt this way? Everyone else is happy, right? Why aren't we? Why can't we be strong like them? That feeling of isolation then makes us back off even more from others because we don't fit in their happy, successful life. Mental health is still not talked about enough. It's still not understood but enough people. I was talking to a lady at work yesterday, who said her consultant and actually told her it was stress that caused her cancer. Stress lowers the resistance and makes us vulnerable. No one would ever have told her, while she was fighting cancer, to pull herself together. It was an interesting conversation.
Old 11 Oct 17, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Moleymole
Imagineer

My problems with depression and anxiety have prevented me from reaching my full potential in life. It has robbed me of all my confidence and motivation, I fought it for many years but feel too exhausted to fight it anymore. My heart goes out to anyone suffering and waking up with that awful sinking sensation this morning.
OKW again 2015 and Anna Maria
2017 Contemporary Resort & Anna Maria
ALWAYS AUGUST!

August 2022 my 50th! - Universal Hardrock Hotel, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk villas, Polynesian, Anna Maria Island.

Moleymole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 17, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
Your last sentence is key here, isn't it? How many of us think we're the only ones who ever felt this way? Everyone else is happy, right? Why aren't we? Why can't we be strong like them? That feeling of isolation then makes us back off even more from others because we don't fit in their happy, successful life. Mental health is still not talked about enough. It's still not understood but enough people. I was talking to a lady at work yesterday, who said her consultant and actually told her it was stress that caused her cancer. Stress lowers the resistance and makes us vulnerable. No one would ever have told her, while she was fighting cancer, to pull herself together. It was an interesting conversation.
I do think times are changing. I think most people now understand that it isn't as simple as "pull yourself together " .
The Princes are doing a great job in raising awareness but there is still a need for further investment in facilities / help availability

The comparison to cancer though is still an interesting one.
On another forum, someone made a " joke" about another person, comparing them to someone who had just escaped from the local mental health establishment.
I took offence, and explained how my daughter was in such a place. He was still " get you Mr sensitive, we all have our troubles in life " . Only when I challenged him to make a joke about someone with cancer, did he really think about it and apologise .

One more converted hopefully
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List