Notices

Old 22 Apr 18, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So let’s update again no.2 for those who are counting!

I was musing on what I and other Dibbers no doubt hear often which is variations on the “what America again? ” when I tell them our holiday plans.
I respond accordingly as in we’ll you like Greece or Canaries or whatever but I wonder is it they are wondering how we afford it (lots of savings and canny hotel and flight booking) or they have no interest in going and wonder why we keep returning or is it they have no idea of the different kinds of holidays you can have in just one country.
We have been 9 times out of the past 11 family holidays with additional long weekends in Europe and in UK. 7/9 have been to Florida with the other 2 to California and NYC, Washington etc.
I am clearly a fan as are our 3 boys, DH less so but gets dragged along and has a good time there.

The trouble is the other holidays we have had in France and Greece have just not lived up to our US trips. Yes they’ve been cheaper but if we can afford to go to America but probably not get a new car then I know which I’d rather be doing.

Our 2 youngest have only really known American style road trips, even in Florida we travel round and only usually have 4or 5 Days in Orlando (sorry Dibbers ) because there’s so much to see.

Yes we love theme parks (who doesn’t! ) but we love the beach too and have fallen in love with AMI. For me I can’t think of many more perfect memories than walking along that beach at sunset after an evening at the Rod n Reel.

I know lots of people just want the Disney bubble and I get that, or they just want to stay in Orlando and god knows there’s more than enough to do there for 3 weeks!

But America is more than Florida for us as Florida is more than Orlando but that’s not to say we won’t be back in the RPR for our Universal fix and Int Drive for the mini golf, Bahama Breeze and just general buzz in August.

And this is what keeps bringing us back but also pushes us to visit new places and explore more of this amazing country. I don’t think we will or I will ever be done. This year will be about having a little more NY time, but also exploring the Shenandoah NP, Virginia and Smokey Mountains as well.

This maybe our last trip for a while if DH has his way and we get on with the house extension we’ve been talking about for the past few years. But I’m still sneakily hoping for a reprieve and an Easter 2019 trip if the prices are right before DS goes to high school in the September. We will see.
If this is the last for a while then we are going out in style!
Plans are in place now and all hotels are booked, tickets sorted and I’m hunting down Groupon bargains like a woman posssessed!

I’ll update properly next time with hotels all 10 of them

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
less than 5 weeks to go!

Clearly I had more time to update my pretripee last year, new job and the time of year has impacted on trip planning this time around.

Anyway let me take you through my itinerary.

Day 1 Travel Day

We plan on setting off to Manchester about 1.30 am to get there for 3 to give us 3hrs booking in time for a 5.55 am flight.
We’ve booked Meet & Greet for £59 for the 24 days which I was happy with.
We did discuss staying overnight in Manchester the night before but not many rooms for 5 and what there was was dear. Otherwise it was 2 rooms and because we would still have to get up at silly o clock decided to stay put and just get up and drive.
Right then flights!
We are flying with KLM to Amsterdam where we plan on having breakfast in the 3 hrs we have there.
Then onto a Delta codeshare flight at 11.15 to Boston. Not been with Delta before but been able to book seats free of charge so already a winner for me! Due to get to Boston just after 1 hoping that’s the case as we then are driving to NYC!

We have booked a full size SUV which I think we’re going to need for this epic trip.

As we should be suitably fed and watered we expect to drive straight through although possibly via a Walmart for road trip supplies!
Then onto New York hopefully arrive around 7pm. We are staying here in LIC

Rooms for 5 again tend to be less available and we don’t mind budget as long as it’s safe and clean. We will barely be there apart from to sleep and there is car parking too which is helpful a lot of Manhattan hotels don’t. This looks ok but I guess we will see.
The idea is to head into Times Square area for a quick look and for food but will have to see if we’re all done by then.

So that’s day 1 - day 2 to follow shortly

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Cont.. less than 5 weeks to go!

Day 2 and 3
We only have 2 full days in New York on this trip but we had 4 nights last October so did see quite a lot then.
However our eldest son wasn’t able to join us in October so this trip has been about trying to do the things he most wanted to. He isn’t bothered about going up the SOL which is good as we did that last time and does eat into the time. He wants to do most of the usual sights though so we are planning on 9/11, ESB, Brooklyn Bridge, Staten Island ferry to see SOL, Grand Central etc with bike booked to cycle Central Park on the 2nd day. We loved this last time so that was a must the other things we’ve done but happy to revisit.

Other than that our youngest is desperate to see the Ghostbusters Firehouse 😂 and I’d like to visit Greenwich Village and Madison Sq Gardens. The rest is up for grabs.

Day 4
Drive to Washington for a night. I’m planning on an early departure from NYC to hopefully get there with time to see the White House and some of the Memorials. I think the circulator bus might be an option to help get around the sights. This does feel like a rerun of last year as we are even staying at the same hotel! Holiday Inn in Arlington.

Last year we had free parking but not now sadly but it’s a nice location and a good sized room with metro nearby.

Day 5
Drive to Chincoteague island in Virginia for 1 night. Staying at Americas Best Value Inn. This is my indulgence, we should have had 2 nights in Washington but Misty of Chincoteague was one of my favourite books growing up and to be so near (relatively) and not go seemed crazy so we have 1 night on the island. Basically for those not in the know Assateague is a National Park where wild horses roam.

Every year they round up a number of the horses to sell to keep the herd numbers under control and swim the ponies across the channel between Assateague and Chincoteague. This takes place just before we arrive but I’m not too bothered we miss it as the island is packed then.

Day 6,7,8
We then travel to the Shenandoah National Park for 3 nights staying at the Skyland resort. We stayed in Yosemite in a cabin but this is a little less primitive, bathroom and a tv so the youngsters will be happy!

We plan on chilling and hiking and celebrating DHs birthday here.

Day 9,10
We have our biggest travel day down to Pigeon Forge in Tennessee.
Staying at the Norma Dan Motel for 2 nights.

It’s going to be an all dayer so we will need plenty of supplies and an early start. We hopefully get there late afternoon for a swim and relax. Possibly moonshine tasting at the Sugarlands Distillery if we’re up to it.

Other than that we are planning a hike and possibly some mini golf. I’ve spotted some outlets so may have to indulge in a spot of retail therapy 😉.

And that’s it for the first part of the trip I’ll complete the rest soon.

Old 23 Jun 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
** latest update!

Well whilst on a bit of a roll thought I might as well complete the itinerary.

Day 11 Pigeon Forge to Savannah
Another looooong Drive today - the last of them though DH will be pleased to hear. I am again hoping for an early start and be on our way to get to Savannah in reasonable time to have a swim and wander out for food. Any recommendations?

We are staying at the Hampton Inn in the Historic District. It looks nice and gets good reviews as well as being near restaurants and in the centre. Not sure what time we will have to see anything in Savannah and I propbably need to do some research to see if there’s any must sees. Surely there are for such an historic southern city?

I read somewhere that the further south you go the further north you are in Florida. A reflection on how Florida doesn’t have the same personality as Georgia and the other southern states. I’m hoping the further north we are the further south we will get to get that ‘southern’ vibe.

Day 12 Savannah to Orlando
Finally we get there back to Florida for the last part of our trip which really constitutes the 2nd half of it. This day is still under discussion whether to head straight to Orlando after breakfast, explore a bit more in Savannah before heading off or stop en route, St Augustine has been suggested. We’ve been once before and really liked it but not sure it’s worth just going for a couple of hours. I think after all our long drives it might be good to get ‘home’ and chill even if we can’t check in immediately we can go for a swim at the hotel or even head to Volcano Bay for a few hours of it’s a bit quieter late afternoon.
We are staying at Homewood Suites, IDrive.

We’ve stayed all over in different years but this was our choice last time and we all liked it’s situation, the rooms, the pool and free evening reception was nice too!

Day 13 Seaworld
Fairly self explanatory. The youngest 2 were desperate to go back and despite reservations we caved. We have got a deal for 2 parks (BG will be the other) with all day dining which we haven’t done before. Will let you know how that goes.

Day 14 Volcano Bay
Like it says. Never been before so excited about trying this out. Not really done water parks, only been to Aquatica once as didn’t feel it was worth it when the youngest 2 were small.

Day 15 Universal
We check out of IDrive and head to the very lovely RPR in club level this time for the first time which were all quite giddy about. Thank you to Scottishnellie for the recent updates! We’re all big Universal fans so it will be a general round up of our favourites I guess. Hoping to check in early and straight in for the day, back to the hotel for a swim in the afternoon, club level refresh and then back out.

Day 16 Universal and onto AMI
Early park entry and onto any other rides we missed or want to do again. Back to the hotel for a swim and chill before heading off to my favourite place AMI. I’ll say no more other than paradise.

Day 17 - 19 AMI
We will have a trip to BG one day yet to be confirmed the rest of the time will be lots of this

And this

And this ❤️

Day 20 AMI to Miami
We leave paradise and head off for our final final bit of our epic trip. May call in at the Everglades on our way through. We are for the first time in many trips to Miami staying on SoBe at the Washington Park Hotel

Day 21 -23 Miami and home.
I imagine this will involve more beach time, possibly Miami Zoo and if we haven’t managed a visit to the Cheesecake Factory that wil have to happen before the long trek home. We return on the 15th August landing back in the uk on the 16th.
Many of those of you with 18 year olds you will recognise the significance of this date A LEVEL RESULTS DAY. Eldest son will no doubt be in a state of some sort hopefully joyful but I guess we will see!
So that’s the trip I plan on doing a report like last year but I make no promises

Old 23 Jul 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
sue97
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Bookmarking so myself and a glass of wine can follow you later
sue97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyKim416
Trying for More Ears

Cannot wait to read along with this!
DisneyKim416 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Have a fabulous trip!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
* Final update.
So here we are last few hours before setting off. Departure is at 1.30 am dear me I need to sleep but as I’m not a good sleeper at the best of times, never mind this hot weather and all the excitement I’m not holding out much hope 😂.
I love this time everything packed, everyone in bed and the holiday stretches out before us. So it begins...

Old 24 Jul 18, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

I hope you have a fab trip.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
sounds like a fabulous trip, look forward to reading all your reports
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List