Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Apr 24, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

Toll Road Question

Hi

I am going to drive from Miami Beach to Vero Beach to Orlando.
Up to Winter Gardens and Back and then Back to Miami Airport

I know that Miami area is mainly Cashless

I was wondering if i can use my Debit card on these toll Roads
or would it be more cost effective to get Avis toll Pass.

I find using a card i can keep account of the spend.

In the past with Avis it seemed that toll charges took ages and were popping up on my bank account for weeks afterwards

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 7 Apr 24, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just drive through. You’ll be billed toll by plate. Never, ever take a toll package.
I did exactly this trip with Avis Xmas 2022 and the bill came to about £50.
Toll by plate it’s called, no need to do anything but just drive through all toll Sunpass, EZ Pass etc and you will be billed when home.
Car hire toll packages are an unnecessary rip off.
Old 7 Apr 24, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Just drive through. You’ll be billed toll by plate. Never, ever take a toll package.
I did exactly this trip with Avis Xmas 2022 and the bill came to about £50.
Toll by plate it’s called, no need to do anything but just drive through all toll Sunpass, EZ Pass etc and you will be billed when home.
Car hire toll packages are an unnecessary rip off.
You keep giving this same basic advice (which is valid) but you don’t point out there are fees involved by doing it and what they are, which are different for each supplier. Reading your post as a newbie, I’d assume there are no extra fees involved in doing what you suggest.

Edited at 05:05 PM.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 24, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Avis:
“ If you use the e-Toll service at any time during your rental, you agree to pay a convenience fee of $5.95 for each day on which you incur a toll up to a maximum amount of $29.75 per rental period (not to exceed 30 days). In addition, you will pay all tolls incurred at the maximum prevailing non-discounted or cash rates posted by the toll authority. ”
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 24, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

OP you can’t use your cards on these roads. There’s no where to stop, no booths. The cameras are above the lanes taking the number plates.
Old 8 Apr 24, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
timnlaura
slightly serious Dibber

We bought a sunpass pro from cvs and topped it up with $25. I’ve just checked our account online and we have about $5 dollars left. We flew into Miami, drove to Orlando, down to Vero and back to Miami in that trip.
timnlaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 24, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Levjohn
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by timnlaura View Post
We bought a sunpass pro from cvs and topped it up with $25. I’ve just checked our account online and we have about $5 dollars left. We flew into Miami, drove to Orlando, down to Vero and back to Miami in that trip.
How much was the sunpass pro ?
Levjohn is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 24, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
milesb
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by Levjohn View Post
How much was the sunpass pro ?
$14.95 plus tax and you can get them from a few places sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Also worth noting that you will need to use a US mailing address to be able to register an account.
September 2019 Jensen Beach
September 2023 Bradenton

Edited at 02:19 PM.
milesb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 24, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
You keep giving this same basic advice (which is valid) but you don’t point out there are fees involved by doing it and what they are, which are different for each supplier. Reading your post as a newbie, I’d assume there are no extra fees involved in doing what you suggest.
In the scheme of thing, the fees are so minor it is not worth stressing over them. Even Avis as you point out has a fees cap under $30.
I don’t know about anyone else, but when driving from Miami Beach to Vero then Orlando and on holiday, I couldn’t be bothered stressing over buying passes etc, for a few quid, and time is money.
Of course being from Yorkshire I can’t fault it if people do go out if their way to save a bit though.

Edited at 09:35 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Apr 24, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by milesb View Post
$14.95 plus tax and you can get them from a few places sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Also worth noting that you will need to use a US mailing address to be able to register an account.
We also bought a sunpass and couldn't register due to our address being UK I emailed Sunpass and they came back to say just to use first night hotel address. When it came to adding credit using a UK credit card, it did accept a UK address for cardholder so everything was fine.

Some tolls were as low as 23c with Sunpass. That would be doubled plus the convenience fee if using toll-by-plate.

Another good thing is that you can backdate any tolls you passed in the few days prior to buying the sunpass. All in all, we wont go back to Toll-by-plate - too expensive.