Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Sep 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner I wouldn't dream of going anywhere except Hatton Garden for proper jewellery.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I would do it in Dubai. Though you have to barter. We have bought diamond rings a couple of times and when valued back at home that were valued at over twice what we paid.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

I have bought diamonds in Dubai and had them made into rings. I have also bought 'off the shelf' in Dubai.

You must haggle and be prepared to walk away. I research to see how much a diamond would cost on a site like Blue Nile in the UK. Look for the colour, cut and clarity as well as the carat.

Don't buy an uncertified diamond and go for the best quality you can.

My jewelry has been valued at two and a half to three times purchase price, but I bought when the exchange rate was better. Also when valued back in the UK it will be for insurance not resale value.
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsB87
Imagineer

Mobile

Definitely recommend Dubai. We got my engagement ring over there and it’s so much cheaper! We got to pick the diamond individually and had a really good look at them and the certificate etc. Then I designed my setting. We had it valued for home insurance purposes when we got home and it was valued at 4x what we paid. Feel free to private message me for any info. Can recommend a shop/area as we get all our jewellery there now.
MrsB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsB87 View Post
Definitely recommend Dubai. We got my engagement ring over there and it’s so much cheaper! We got to pick the diamond individually and had a really good look at them and the certificate etc. Then I designed my setting. We had it valued for home insurance purposes when we got home and it was valued at 4x what we paid. Feel free to private message me for any info. Can recommend a shop/area as we get all our jewellery there now.
Just being nosy - do you go to the Gold and Diamond Park?
Does the shop begin with C?
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsB87
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by srh View Post
Just being nosy - do you go to the Gold and Diamond Park?
Does the shop begin with C?
Maybe 😂😉
MrsB87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

Ha!
Me too!
Old 11 Sep 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsB87
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by srh View Post
Ha!
Me too!
Not meant to be making a visit this trip but I don’t think I can cope without 😫
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
srh
slightly serious Dibber

I love it there!
I love looking at the photos on the wall, all the sparkle, counters strewn with jewelry.

Last time I was there I bought my eternity ring and they let me loose on the rings in the shop. Told me to try on anything I liked while they sorted everything out. So I tried on the two most expensive rings in the shop. They were enormous diamonds but just looked like glass - not real.

Then they took me round the workshop and finally drove husband and I back to our hotel.

That just wouldn't happen here in the UK and I didn't spend millions!
Old 11 Sep 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I had a diamond a pink sapphire ring made earlier this year, I used a jeweller at Hatton garden, really pleased with the diamond, it is GIA certified so I feel confident with the stone I bought. I went for the best quality I could afford rather than biggest, but we spent a lot of time going through the stones available and went back for repeat visits until I was certain with what I’d picked.

Photo doesn’t do it justice, but I’ll show it off anyway

Beautiful

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List