Notices
Social Groups Social Chatty type threads

Old 5 Dec 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Really like Craig Cash but I do think this concept is now outdated, particularly the police...but did enjoy the live show
Even the stage show seemed old-fashioned and nostalgic in many ways. How many of these type of pubs are even around now? So I see your point, although I feel he could have made a couple more series of it before it ended in 2004.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
As much as I love going to the theatre it’s very rare that I go and see national tours at our local theatre (Birmingham Hippodrome). It’s so expensive as the tickets don’t get discounted like London or Broadway shows. We saw Billy Elliott last year and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang before that as we bought MIL tickets for her Christmas present.

I prefer upbeat shows and always get emotional at the end! I haven’t seen many of the traditional shows (i.e. Phantom, Les Mis, 42nd Street etc) I saw Cats at the Palladium and didn’t enjoy it so I tend to stick to the newer shows. The most recent shows I’ve seen are Aladdin, Frozen, Harry Potter, Book of Mormon and Chicago (disappointing).

I think my favourite show was Hairspray, I loved the music in Rock of Ages and Jersey Boys, Book of Mormon was hilarious and Viva Forever was absolute rubbish!
You make a good point about not getting so many opportunities to get discounted tickets for the big touring productions as opposed to West End tickets.

Billy Elliott is one of the most emotional ones for me, as my father was a miner and I was a teenager during the Miner’s strike so it affected our family and community greatly. My father didn’t live long enough to see the film or the musical but he would have loved it.

I also find Chicago disappointing, I know it’s popular but it just fell flat for me. I haven’t seen Hairspray but really should as everyone seems to love it, I want to see Book of Mormon too 😀
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Went to see rock of ages does that count?
Only bit if theatre I’ve seen for a long long time. Went last week and before that when I was pregnant with my first.
Last week was good.
First one was better 4.5yrs ago. Dunno if that’s coz my little one was having a party in my tummy the whole time.
Loved that night. Dunno why but it’s a night I remember very fondly
I saw rock of ages a fair few years ago when justin lee collins (remember him!?) And shane ward (think thats his name? X factor?) Were in it. It was such a good show! Were you given fake cigarette lighters which were torches to wave during the slow songs? I kept mine and used it for years! My dh insists he only enjoyed it so much because of the soundtracks they used... im still certain it was the ladies and a few of their costumes and choreography!
Old 6 Dec 18, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
You make a good point about not getting so many opportunities to get discounted tickets for the big touring productions as opposed to West End tickets.

Billy Elliott is one of the most emotional ones for me, as my father was a miner and I was a teenager during the Miner’s strike so it affected our family and community greatly. My father didn’t live long enough to see the film or the musical but he would have loved it.

I also find Chicago disappointing, I know it’s popular but it just fell flat for me. I haven’t seen Hairspray but really should as everyone seems to love it, I want to see Book of Mormon too 😀
I haven't seen Chicago live I went to see the film three times, taking various different folk who turned thier noses up at the thought of a musical... and then also loved it! So ive never booked to see it live as I dont think.id enjoy it so.much and theres so much to choose from.

We went on honeymoon (17years ago now) for a couple of nights in london, we asked for travel agent vouchers as gifts if folk felt they had to buy something, and didn't want to leave the kids for more than a few days, so had a lovely hotel and two theatre nights. We saw woman in black and mama mia. We were going to see Chicago, but couldn't get tickets for some reason, which when we saw the film I thought probably worked out for the best. Mama mia about planning weddings and finding the love of your life... Chicago about ladies killing thier men! 😂😂😂
Old 6 Dec 18, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Hairspray tour came to Malvern a few years ago, and I took my dd (all grown up and in 20's) and ds (then about 13) and we had a great time. My son thinks its the best musical ever. My dd is torn between it and blood brothers.

Saw ghost there too couple of years back, didnt think much of it at all.

Edited at 07:49 AM.
littlelish0544 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 18, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by littlelish0544 View Post
I haven't seen Chicago live I went to see the film three times, taking various different folk who turned thier noses up at the thought of a musical... and then also loved it! So ive never booked to see it live as I dont think.id enjoy it so.much and theres so much to choose from.

We went on honeymoon (17years ago now) for a couple of nights in london, we asked for travel agent vouchers as gifts if folk felt they had to buy something, and didn't want to leave the kids for more than a few days, so had a lovely hotel and two theatre nights. We saw woman in black and mama mia. We were going to see Chicago, but couldn't get tickets for some reason, which when we saw the film I thought probably worked out for the best. Mama mia about planning weddings and finding the love of your life... Chicago about ladies killing thier men! 😂😂😂
Yes Mama Mia was definitely the better choice on your honeymoon 😂😂
Old 6 Dec 18, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Hairspray tour came to Malvern a few years ago, and I took my dd (all grown up and in 20's) and ds (then about 13) and we had a great time. My son thinks its the best musical ever. My dd is torn between it and blood brothers.

Saw ghost there too couple of years back, didnt think much of it at all.
My DD says Blood Brothers is definitely her favourite. I cannot choose one alone, it would be like picking my favourite child 😀

I love the film of Ghost, but haven’t seen the stage show. Possibly with Ghost the film was better than the stage show.
Old 6 Dec 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

My DD says Blood Brothers is definitely her favourite. I cannot choose one alone, it would be like picking my favourite child 😀

I love the film of Ghost, but haven’t seen the stage show. Possibly with Ghost the film was better than the stage show.
Id say so... maybe the cast were a bit to blame, the leading lady was too wishy washy and I didn't care she had been left alone! Harsh I know... the lady who took whoopi's part was excellent and very funny, but next to the limp lettuce, made her seem panto almost at times. But she held the show together, was the best thing about it. Stick to Mr Swayze's version. 👻 x
Old 6 Dec 18, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Id say so... maybe the cast were a bit to blame, the leading lady was too wishy washy and I didn't care she had been left alone! Harsh I know... the lady who took whoopi's part was excellent and very funny, but next to the limp lettuce, made her seem panto almost at times. But she held the show together, was the best thing about it. Stick to Mr Swayze's version. 👻 x
We had a poor lead actor in Singing in the Rain last week. His singing voice was poor and he really wasn’t a good dancer. Such a shame as the rest of the performances were good, and it is a wonderful musical. It shows what one bad performance can do to the whole experience though
Old 7 Dec 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We had a poor lead actor in Singing in the Rain last week. His singing voice was poor and he really wasn’t a good dancer. Such a shame as the rest of the performances were good, and it is a wonderful musical. It shows what one bad performance can do to the whole experience though
Totally agree, we had the understudies for Anna and Elsa when we saw Frozen on Broadway. Let It Go was really flat and her voice just wasn't powerful enough, I've seen it sung better on shows like X Factor!

I've got my lottery application in for Hamilton tomorrow. Fingers crossed but I have got a plan b as I doubt we'll get tickets for either show.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List