Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 7 Jan 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AnnieB View Post
We went to see it this afternoon and we're a little underwhelmed. My nine year old son gave it a seven and we gave it a five out of ten.

The musical numbers felt a little hollow ... the lamplighters dancing in the street seemed like it was trying a little too much to recreate the original. The same at the end with the balloons.

*SPOILERS*

What I really thought was bizarre was the whole nightmare scene. Why did Mary Poppins allow them all to wander off into danger like that? All while she showed off on stage doing some sort of cancan/rap about books? Why was it so dark and chaotic? I assumed there was some lesson to be learned from it but it came to nothing as far as I could tell.

I also felt slightly uncomfortable when she shoved that small boy into the bath. Even in the film his sister was quite concerned.

The children were introduced as being quite strong, missing their mother but looking after their father and each other. That was it - no more focus on them at all for the rest of the film. They became extras for the most part after that, except from the scene at the bank.

The father was a hapless wimp, who went from crying in the attic to snapping at his children. He seemed utterly useless at handling life and could not even find that certificate despite the fact that it was among the papers he looked through with Jane (wonderfully cast btw). He was nothing like the Mr. Banks/father in the original film, who had a very likeable albeit flawed personality.

Why does Mary Poppins watch the lamplighters risk their lives struggling to the top of Big Ben, only to smuggly fly up there herself in the end?

Discussing the film afterwards, we thought it would be better if the dad had absent-mindedly written on the back of the certificate to create that pretend ten pound note for his son ('still early and I have already made ten pounds').
Then the son could have produced the pretend money at a desperate moment, saying his dad needs it back ... revealing it was worth something after all and was of real worth, not just pretend (like Mary Poppins herself).

MaryPoppins (the original) is my favourite film, and I tried to be open-minded when I went to see this. But honestly, Christopher Robin had far more depth to it than this nonsense, and I really think this was a misfire by Disney, sorry to say it.
Yes funny how everyone sees differently... I would have given it 5 stars like the daily mail...
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
taylaboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Saw this at the weekend and loved it, especially the nods to the original. The music was good and the casting too. Can't wait for the dvd to come out.
Villa at Champions Gate -2019
Rosen Hotel May 2023
taylaboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 19, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Adcro
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Replying to AnnieB...

Why did Mary Poppins allow them all to wander off into danger like that?

She didn’t see them. She was on stage.

All while she showed off on stage doing some sort of cancan/rap about books?

It was a music hall number, nothing like a can can. The ‘rap’ is a patter number, similar to what Bert sang in Jolly Holiday (in that number Mary also let the kids go off and play looking for a merry go round while she and Bert went for tea)

Why was it so dark and chaotic?

It was a nightmare.

ialso felt slightly uncomfortable when she shoved that small boy into the bath. Even in the film his sister was quite concerned.

Because she knew he’d be fine, if it ever happened at all (or if it was make believe)

The father was a hapless wimp, who went from crying in the attic to snapping at his children. He seemed utterly useless at handling life and could not even find that certificate despite the fact that it was among the papers he looked through with Jane.

He was in prolonged mourning and deeply seated grief. He had signs of depression too, which can make you react in anger or anguish. Calling him a wimp is just unkind. People have different personalities.

He was nothing like the Mr. Banks/father in the original film, who had a very likeable albeit flawed personality.

So? They’re different people. Michael is not George.

But honestly, Christopher Robin had far more depth to it than this nonsense, and I really think this was a misfire by Disney, sorry to say it.

I couldn’t disagree with you more. I am a huge Mary Poppins fan and I adored the film, and smiled all the way through. The performers and songs were wonderful, and the costumes, sets, and fabulous 2D animation were beautiful. I loved it.

Edited at 08:08 PM.
Adcro is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
lorrie36
VIP Dibber

Everyone has their own opinion. I’m one of the ones that didn’t enjoy it. Yes I’m a mega fan of the original. But I think it’s a marmite film. Great effects, my favourite character was the lady seeking balloons at the end

lorrie36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

*bump*
watched this last night. LOVED IT!

especially dick van dyke and angela lansbury's cameos
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
oeamon
Apprentice Imagineer

not going down as a classic in our house. not to many musical films get thrown onto the scrap heap by us but this one is going there.
oeamon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List