Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Mar 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

My cats do steal from plates, their bowls go in the dishwasher too
Old 15 Mar 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Personally I think this is utterly disgusting.
No reason really as a good washing will sort, but still find it disgusting.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Our dog is trained to not eat off of our plates. She will only eat from her own bowl. We can leave a plate of food on the floor and she won’t touch it. This way when children come round and they have sweets or cake on a plate it is safe from the dog. In the same way if the dog isn’t allowed then it wouldn’t be fair to let the cat eat of a plate so we would never leave it out for her. Personally I don’t like it. I know you say the plate is washed but somehow it just doesn’t seem hygienic. In the same way as I wouldn’t eat off a plate someone had been to the toilet on even if it had been washed (I know this would never happen but just an example). Personal opinion and each to their own but I just think it’s not nice
Old 15 Mar 19, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Yep absolutely! Plate went down nearly every night for our beautiful dog.

Our puppy is too small at the moment, but when he’s a bit older then we’ll go back to our old habit!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

My 2 dogs do have the very occasional lick of a plate, I don’t make a habit of it cos otherwise they’d spend the whole time we’re eating gettting impatient for us to finish so they could lick the plate...
Hygiene wise I’m not too concerned as the plates go straight in the dishwasher...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Our dog used to lick the dirty plates in the dishwasher given half the chance!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
I don’t find this disgusting but rarely do it with my current dog and never did it with my previous dogs.
Just to say though, that dog saliva is mildly antiseptic and their mouths contain far less bacteria than a human’s. A human bite is likely to cause more problems than a dog bite due to this.

As for face licking - I don’t encourage this but a dog psychologist will tell you that this is pack behaviour, they are asking you to be their friend. It is a trust issue and starts with puppies and their mother’s.
Of course, if they have just been licking their rear ends, it is not something to be desired but I refer to my previous comment about the cleanliness of their mouths generally, compared to ours!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

We don't put our plates down for the cat but her food is served on the same plates we use. They get washed! I don't think there is anything disgusting about communal plates.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Everything goes in the dishwasher together. I try and avoid it because I hate her begging for food but she often licks the plates (which have usually been rinsed) in the dishwasher anyway 🙄
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ours often lick the plates, which then go in the dishwasher. Saves rinsing before going in😂
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List