Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Mar 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Innocently named kids can suffer at school.
Poor Robert Slicker suffered at roll call

“ Mr R. Slicker”
Not great...
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post

“ Mr R. Slicker”
Not great...
Many many years ago - so hopefully no one here knows them... we had a P Green and a P Loving - not quite so bad...
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
It’s not for me, or more importantly my kids!, as I feel it’s quite a tacky/chavvy name. But thankfully we all like different names otherwise the world would be a bit trickier!

But as others have said after a while the name suits the child. My friend called her daughter Coco, I was really unsure for a long time but now it wouldn’t be tight her being called anything else!
I love the name Coco! I was to scared to call my daughter it so I gave it to her as her middle name. This was nearly 11 years ago so way before the movie.
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by discoclare View Post
All these people saying they will stand out and be bullied in school, I'm wondering if you've been to a primary school in the last 10 years? At least where I live in London NOTHING is unusual. My kids school has much more out there names than Disney! Barely a child has the same name as each other out of 450 kids, save for a couple of the more common Muslim names like Mohammed. There are kids called things like Phoenix-Ray, Everly-Blu, Shanghai, T'Jay, Buzz (I've adapted some of these slightly so it's not identifying to the school but some are true and some similar). I've never heard of a child being bullied over their name nowadays, to the kids it's all normal even if some of the parents think "Joocie" has an unusual name.
A friend of mine has two boys: eldest called a very common "top 5" boys name for his year of birth, eg Oliver (not his real name), second one born two years later is called a name I've never heard of eg Ezero (also not his real name) which isn't even listed in the office of national statistics baby name lists as it's too rare. I asked if they made up DS2's name, no. Asked where it came from and they said it was named after an obscure author they both love. I then commented that the boys have pretty different names to each other and he told me that with DS1 they were worried about playground bullying (thinking back to their own childhoods) so they went for a name that wouldn't stand out. Then their DS1 went to nursery and they realised that kids are called everything under the sun nowadays and that they shouldn't have been so concerned so they called DS2 a name they actually wanted to call him!
I too agree. I’ve got friends who’ve called there kids wacky names but no one blinks an eye at them in school as we’ve so many kids from different cultures & European countries with all different sounding names & spellings.

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22, 24.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17, 25.
✨Disneyland Tokyo & Disney Sea - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018, 2023
✨Disney Magic 🚢 - 2021
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, Grand Canyon -2018
⭐️San Francisco, Las Vegas & Antelope Canyon -19 ⭐️Washington DC - 22⭐️LA/Anaheim-23 ⭐️Seattle -24
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post

“ Mr R. Slicker”
Not great...
My sister had a teacher at school called Richard Head. Of course the kids abbreviated Richard to 'Dick'...
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

I know an adult called Mitzy and one called Chrystal - and just think they do not match their names at all.

(judgemental me... both short, round, grumpy, in their 60s)
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I love it! I think that there are so many unusual names these days that it matters less than it did before. That said I wouldn’t have used it (maybe as a middle name) My girls both have Disney inspired names though... Everleigh Belle and Marceline Alice! For those that don’t know Marceline was the name of the town that Walt based Main Street USA on 😊
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List