Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Mar 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Deggs
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Does anybody else’s child get the Birthday Blues?

My son has the Birthday Blues. He’s 17 today. And while I’ve told him we’d all love to be 17 again!, I’m trying to work out why he doesn’t seem to like his birthdays. It all started from his 14th when he had a crap day at school, his 15th he walked out of school and we didn’t know where he was for a while, last year on his 16th was ok, but now today he’s not feeling it. I think it has a lot to do with the crap he went through in school with dealing with his ASD and the focus on him maybe makes him feel overwhelmed. All we can do is make him feel loved and appreciated, he’s doing amazing at college and we’re so proud of him. I do think he was quite impressed with the Ricky Gervais tickets! 👍🏻
Happy Birthday that son of mine 💙
Deggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Aw happy birthday , I know a few people who actually hate the fuss of a birthday , it’s only another day after all . What’s he like at Christmas ?
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Goofy3
Excited about Disney

Yes! My DD now age 20 has always been moody and miserable in the run up to her birthday. She’s also ASD, so maybe this has something to do with it.
The way I understand it, in her perspective is, 1.She hates surprises. Needs to know exactly what’s happening at all times, (we have to tell her what gifts she’s having!)
2. She really does not want to grow up. The big wide world is a scary place, and the longer she can delay being self sufficient the better.
3. She always had a strange fixed idea that she would die when she was 20. So another birthday was always another step closer to the end! Weird I know, but that’s ASD for you!
I have to say she’s a lot easier to manage now she’s matured a bit. The years between 14 and 19 were pretty awful. Being a teen with all the usual hormones etc. but also ASD must be horrendous.
Goofy3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Deggs
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you. Christmas is fine as it’s not all about him. He seems a bit chirpier now but that’s probably because we’re setting up the VIVE again in the front room which he really wants to do.
Deggs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My asd son doesn't really like his birthday or Christmas (his birthday is December 23rd!) - he often leaves presents unopened for days - he's only 9 though so I don't know what he'll be like as a teen.

ETA Happy birthday to your son!
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes my son had never really enjoyed his birthday which had always made me sad, Andy DD just shouts all day about it being her birthday and nobody knows what it’s like to your birthday on Christmas (21st) thankfully my other live their birthday
Old 23 Mar 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Deggs
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Yes my daughter’s was Thurs and she was 12. She enjoys them. He’s not so bad now. It helps he’s done with school!
Old 23 Mar 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

This is me! I hate birthdays. I always feel like I want them to just go unnoticed and not celebrated. I hate a fuss and would rather them be just a normal day. It’s so weird as I love making birthdays special for my husband and kids...I just don’t enjoy my own. I can’t even explain why.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
This is me! I hate birthdays. I always feel like I want them to just go unnoticed and not celebrated. I hate a fuss and would rather them be just a normal day. It’s so weird as I love making birthdays special for my husband and kids...I just don’t enjoy my own. I can’t even explain why.
I am exactly the same!

My birthday soon and the wife has been pressuring me to do something and I really don’t want too. I’ll admit I’m awkward- and it starts about 6 weeks before my birthday where I take double care not to mention anything I might want in case somebody buys it for me, as ultimately this will make me feel like I’ve been asking for something and that I’ve made people go out of there way for me, both things I hate doing!

I hate been made a fuss of. Absolutely love Christmas because it isn’t about me. That said, I love the build up to Christmas more than the day it’s self, because I know at some point on that day the focus will be on me.

Took me about 3 consecutive birthdays to figure out how to take my birthday off Facebook as I hated people wishing me happy birthday on it. Same at work- not one single person knows it’s my birthday (because I haven’t told anyone) despite us doing and me contributing to everyone else’s birthday throughout the year.

Like I say, mines in the next few days and I can’t wait for it to be over!

Edited at 08:10 AM.
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm.the same, don't like the attention!