Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Mar 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Restores faith in humans

Moving on from the acts of kindness thread...

Has there been anything that has restored your faith in humans with so much bad stuff going on ?

I follow British ice hockey and in one of the lower leagues a few weeks ago , a player had a blow to his eye with a hockey stick ( total accident). He suffered permanent damage and gas lost the sight in that eye.

Anyway, he hasn't been able to work and has a family to support so a few friends started a Go fund page for him hoping to raise a little bit of cash for him. It has now hit just over £31,000 ! With players, fans and referees across the whole sport donating.

This not only makes me realise that no matter what team you support, my little hockey family are amazing but also people in general are out there and out number the vile horrible people , restoring my faith in humans kindness.

Sorry it's do long
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Please dont take this the wrong way but any sport should provide insurance cover. I play petanque, more socially than anything more, but I am covered if there is an accident.
Old 25 Mar 19, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Your right, there will be insurance.

That's not the point of the thread.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

When you read about Corrie ten Boom and her family.
Old 25 Mar 19, 01:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Yes we all know about insurance but the time it takes for the incident till settlement can be weeks
Meantime mortgage / rent car payments utility bills food and kids
Things at school need to be paid as do phone bills and yes that's something that's essential at a time like this family are having
Even if you can't donate money a couple of hours child care at times can go a long long way or even doing a washing / ironing so the kids have clean clothes for school can mean everything
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My Mum used to pick my son up from infant school as I was working long hours ... she had a brain aneurism and for several weeks it didn't look like she would recover and they kept her in a coma .
It was a hellish time .
The school was CoE and there was a large faction of churchgoing stay at home Mums (one class per year so everyone knew everyone else)
A couple of the mothers were amazing with practical support ... and I shall be forever grateful to them. Interestingly they weren't the stay at home Mums but the working Mums with plenty to juggle themselves.
One non working Mum (who prided herself on what a good churchgoer she was) asked me how Mum was I replied she'd taken a turn for the worse and we weren't sure she'd make it through the next 24 hours "oh good, good" was the reply. Clearly wasn't interested in my reply and wasn't listening !
How I didn't smack her one, to this day I really don't know !
I just suggested that as she clearly had no interest (she lived one Road from Mum and knew her) that it would be better if she didn't bother asking and walked away ... and around the corner grabbed my best friend and had a bloody good vent ! Best bit was , she was so offended , she pointedly ignored me for the next six months . Unbelievable !

Often when the chips are down , it's quite surprising who steps up and who doesn't want to know !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

When my daughter went off for a brief stint at uni the girls I worked with clubbed together and did her a huge box of essentials. As a single mum with very little time to get my head round it as we had 3 weeks from application to going, I was blown away. They had thought of everything and I balled my eyes out. Most of them had known my daughter since she was one and we were both so touched by their kindness.