Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Mar 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Interesting stuff as I wasn't aware of the rules...just checked the government website and it appears to be classed as a nuisance it has to happen more than once and smoke doesn't appear to be an issues unless it's going across a road and a danger to traffic

Of course there's no excuse for your neighbours reaction to your husband. Bearing in mind his verbally aggressive response how was he when you tipped water on it...
I think he re lit it, but 15 mins later he put it out again, I think dh might have said oh dear I’m going to have to call the fire brigade! It was actually black smoke so don’t know what he was burning
Old 25 Mar 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I think he re lit it, but 15 mins later he put it out again, I think dh might have said oh dear I’m going to have to call the fire brigade! It was actually black smoke so don’t know what he was burning
I hate when people do that as it's horrible being in the garden with it choking you.

Our local council (Hillingdon) will collect 12 bags of heavy rubbish for free on a special collection and will take old furniture including mattresses for free to avoid fly tipping. They also collect all the garden waste every week, they are very good at taking lots of normal bags of rubbish. I recently put out about 12 black bags full of rubbish along with loads of bags of recyclable rubbish and they took the lot no problem. There is also the council rubbish dump you can take your rubbish to free of charge.

So little excuse to have fires in your garden where I live (sadly it doesn't stop everyone).

Edited at 02:14 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I've been on both sides of the parking issue.

We live on a fairly busy road with shops at the end, there is a big shoppers car park at the other end of the shops but many people park outside our house. It's restricted parking 1 hour 9-5 Monday to Saturday. We have a drive big enough for 2 cars and always park on it, have a dropped curb with double yellow lines over the drive.

I never have an issue with people parking in the space outside but often have people partially block our drive, invariably if asked to move the response is "Oh I won't be long I'm just popping to the shop/ vet/ bank" I don't care how long they will be, there are double yellow lines and they should not park there!

On the other side when our drive was being done we parked our car down a nearby side street because of the one hour restriction outside our house, The street had unrestricted parking, we moved it back to ours each night once the restricted time was over and someone put a really rude note on the car and came out and yelled at me when I was moving it. I was heavily pregnant at the time and he was yelling in my face, still makes me cross 16 years later!

As for the bonfire one that makes me cross as well, it's usually when you have washing out and are just sitting down to enjoy the sun! Our neighbour who always did it has moved now so hopefully won't have that this summer.
Old 25 Mar 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We live in a terrace with on street parking, we also have a garage accessed via a ‘back lane’. We have 3 cars (don’t ask), one is always in the garage, the other two on the street. I have double yellows outside my house and hubby parks round the corner in a disabled bay (he has a blue badge) at the moment I’m having a tough time convincing my neighbours that they can’t just park in the disabled bay! They seem to think that because it was put there at the request of my neighbour who has now moved, it’s now ‘decommissioned’! It isn’t! I have proof from the council that it isn’t and that we can use it. I’m not sure how big the writing on the road needs to be or how many tickets they need to get before they realise this fact! There is also a sign on the lamp post!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 04:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I think the council do charge for taking rubbish to the dump Mickey House. My husband is a builder and gets the people he works for to get a skip if there’s lots of rubbish. We had one in our garden before Christmas (classy), I told him to get rid of it on the 1st weekend in Dec or I was decorating it with fairy lights!
Old 25 Mar 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Not about parking outside houses, but I have just come from a supermarket and they have lots of electric car charging points, but people park there not having electric cars, just as they park in disabled bays, mother and child bays when they shouldn't.

I was so pleased to see cars being issued with tickets because there were plenty of spaces near the store, in fact I parked 5 seconds walk from where the car below was parked.

mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I think the council do charge for taking rubbish to the dump Mickey House. My husband is a builder and gets the people he works for to get a skip if there’s lots of rubbish. We had one in our garden before Christmas (classy), I told him to get rid of it on the 1st weekend in Dec or I was decorating it with fairy lights!
Believe me our Hillingdon rubbish dump in Harfield is definitely free for residents (the one in South Ruislip is no longer free). It's not free if you are bringing rubbish from your work like a builder would. They put you on a weigh bridge if you turn up in a van. They have automatic barriers which we swipe our Hillingdon cards on and away you go.

Mind you skips cost a fortune nowadays. At least you made yours look pretty with fairy lights
Old 25 Mar 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I know it always seems to be an issue, now that households have more than one car. We only have one car, but our neighbours have four plus a camper van. They do have a large hard standing for 3-4 vehicles, but the camper is rarely moved and quite often only one car on the drive and the rest on the road where parking is at a premium. Quite often at weekends, the grown up daughters boyfriends arrive in their cars too. Now, I don’t mind anyone parking on the road, but I find it extremely annoying when I can’t park anywhere in my street and the neighbours have spaces on their drive, yet have at least 4 cars on the road. I know they are allowed, but I think it’s extremely thoughtless and actually taking the @*ss.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Not about parking outside houses, but I have just come from a supermarket and they have lots of electric car charging points, but people park there not having electric cars, just as they park in disabled bays, mother and child bays when they shouldn't.

I was so pleased to see cars being issued with tickets because there were plenty of spaces near the store, in fact I parked 5 seconds walk from where the car below was parked.

Are those tickets enforceable ?
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Mar 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Are those tickets enforceable ?
I honestly don't know. I assume they would be enforceable, but I don't have the experience or knowledge to confirm that.

Hopefully someone will be along who knows more than me.