Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Jun 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

If flight goes but I'm not allowed to enter USA no refunds

I guess some flights will run anyway since certain people are exempt from Trumps rules.

BA told me yesterday that I can only get a refund if BA cancels the flight. If it goes but I'm not allowed on it, then there is no refund only vouchers.

Seems a bit off. Anyone know if this is correct or not?

I'd like to go but I'd rather not be holding a couple of £Ks worth of flight vouchers.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Very Serious Dibber

Thats correct.

Your travel insurance may be an option, depending on what level of cover you have and when you purchased it.

In all likelihood though if noone can get on the aircraft they will cancel it. Especially if its Orlando (really only a leisure destination).
steve30 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I could depend on where you are flying into? MCO not currently on the list of airports so in theory no flights, not sure legally either as BA's sole purpose is to get you there & back but you wouldn't get passed check-in because all Estas are suspended IYKWIM. I'm not saying they are lying but I've had to chase more than a few "retailers" for refunds, that have tried to fob me off
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I don’t blame the airlines - as long as they are allowed to land, why wouldn’t they try to avoid having to pay refunds this way? Shifts the problem to insurers instead.
Old 25 Jun 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

I've booked BA flights and overnight airport Bloc hotel as a package - I'm interested in seeing what happens.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Legally the position is just the same as in pre-Covid times, it is the responsibility of the passenger to have the right of entry to the destination country (whether by nationality, residency or visa / ESTA).

If a flight operates, the airline is not legally liable for cancellation due to this condition not being met, it is treated just like a decision not to travel. The fact that the borders have been closed to many foreign nationals, or that the FCO is advising against travel, doesn’t change the legal position. Theoretically the airlines don’t even need to offer vouchers, but most have taken the decision to do that.

OP - you don’t mention when and where your flight is, but for as long as BA is offering vouchers, you are probably better to sit tight and wait to see if the flight cancels, unless you have watertight insurance that will pay out if you cancel now.

Edited at 11:26 AM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Peko View Post
Legally the position is just the same as in pre-Covid times, it is the responsibility of the passenger to have the right of entry to the destination country (whether by nationality, residency or visa / ESTA).

If a flight operates, the airline is not legally liable for cancellation due to this condition not being met, it is treated just like a decision not to travel. The fact that the borders have been closed to many foreign nationals, or that the FCO is advising against travel, doesn’t change the legal position. Theoretically the airlines don’t even need to offer vouchers, but most have taken the decision to do that.

OP - you don’t mention when and where your flight is, but for as long as BA is offering vouchers, you are probably better to sit tight and wait to see if the flight cancels, unless you have watertight insurance that will pay out if you cancel now.
It won't be long before the airlines work out that a flight with two pilots and three crew (to look after the pilots) flying completely empty is much cheaper than actually paying refunds.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by steve30 View Post
Thats correct.

Your travel insurance may be an option, depending on what level of cover you have and when you purchased it.

In all likelihood though if noone can get on the aircraft they will cancel it. Especially if its Orlando (really only a leisure destination).
Luckily the insurance is in place before covid so that helps but theres excess I guess.

I guess some flights will run due to people do need to travel back and fore and are exempt.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Peko View Post

I suppose you're right. I dont want them to cancel though I do want to go.

They cancelled one flight and moved me to alternate one on same day.

I'd rather not pay the balance, find out the flight is going but I can't go, then find all I can do is get a voucher to be honest.

Insurance not even sure if they would pay out to be honest? Even if this was booked before it all happened. Might not be too happy I've accepted a flight change.
Old 25 Jun 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
dcmax
Imagineer

keep in mind the flight also comes back and carrying some exempt passengers to the US and a US to UK leg with more pax - cargo both ways may also be just enough cashflow for them to be happy - they also dont want to loose slots... (especially when you take into account the refunds as 123 points out above) - -you should still be covered by insurance though if the FCO is still in place
dcmax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List