Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 May 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
I found this with my youngest son too. He’s 14 now and seems to have found a lot of energy and enthusiasm again. He’s been doing taekwondo for the past 6 years, and this past few months he’s starting to really enjoy it again, rather than just plodding along as he had been for a while. He’s now training twice per week (3 hours total), and aiming for his full black belt in the autumn. He helps train the younger/lower belts too and enjoys it all.
He went through a stage of just playing his Xbox/ps etc, but has become much more sociable again and as I said, more active.
He actually got up at 3.30 this morning to go with his dad to walk to the summit of Mt Snowdon. A couple of years ago, he wouldn’t have done that.

OP - I hope he is just going through a lull with karate atm, as it’s such a shame to give up after so long.
It sounds like there is hope then that he might come out of this lull that he’s in.. I really want him to stick with it.
Well done to your son for getting up at 3:30! Hope he’s enjoying himself!
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Trampolining appeals to many kids of that age, since it's great fun but you can also earn certificates etc for progressing your skills.

My partner's mum is an instructor and runs a club. They don't live locally to us, but whenever we do visit my son goes along to the club and, as someone who is generally pretty chilled about most things, trampolining seems to get him really focussed and he demonstrates real drive to progress.

Maybe find out if you have a local club, as I'm sure they'll do a trial or introductory lesson.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

If he's into the PlayStation could you look and see if you have a coder dojo locally? Or some other tech type activity?

My eldest just isn't interested in any sports activities and it's very hard to find other non sport activities.

As others have suggested scouts can be great, or you might have a youth club local to you he could join.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My Ds is 13 he’s been a member of the Scouts since he was 8 and will hopefully go up to Explorers soon. He took up Street Dance when he was 9 and finished that just before Xmas last year, he’s now playing basketball for the local team and really loving it. I found with the Street Dance that he just got a bit bored near the end and the enthusiasm was gone, he then asked to stop so we talked about it and decided that was the best option for him and he doesn’t regret it at all. Sometimes they just outgrow hobbies.

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.
jasminedivas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
It sounds like there is hope then that he might come out of this lull that he’s in.. I really want him to stick with it.
Well done to your son for getting up at 3:30! Hope he’s enjoying himself!
Looks like he has from the pics - they reached the summit at around 8.30 and are on their way home now.

I would have a chat like you mentioned with your son’s karate instructor. He may be able to do something or at least have a chat to him himself to see if there’s anything in particular he doesn’t enjoy etc.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Trampolining appeals to many kids of that age, since it's great fun but you can also earn certificates etc for progressing your skills.

My partner's mum is an instructor and runs a club. They don't live locally to us, but whenever we do visit my son goes along to the club and, as someone who is generally pretty chilled about most things, trampolining seems to get him really focussed and he demonstrates real drive to progress.

Maybe find out if you have a local club, as I'm sure they'll do a trial or introductory lesson.
There is a trampolining place nearby and I did suggest it to him. I’ll look into what they offer. Thanks.☺️
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
If he's into the PlayStation could you look and see if you have a coder dojo locally? Or some other tech type activity?

My eldest just isn't interested in any sports activities and it's very hard to find other non sport activities.

As others have suggested scouts can be great, or you might have a youth club local to you he could join.
What is a coder dojo? I’ve not heard of that one before.☺️
Old 19 May 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
There is a trampolining place nearby and I did suggest it to him. I’ll look into what they offer. Thanks.☺️
I don't mean one of those play bounce places, where people bounce across a series of trampolines (until they break a leg or something), I mean proper fixed trampolines, like what you see at the Olympics etc.

Your local leisure centre is the most likely venue.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

My girls do both Brownies and Cubs. They’ve done them since they were old enough to start Beavers/Rainbows.

They’ve no interest in dance, gymnastics or anything else so Scouting/Guiding is where we landed and we’ve no regrets.

Last weekend they were on Brownie camp and next weekend it’s Cub Camp. They have a Brownie fun day coming up and a Cub archery competition. They would not be as active without these organisations nor exposed to so many opportunities or ability to learn new skills.

They have bikes, scooters and enjoy swimming but these things are very much for fun, which is fab, but Scouting and Guiding is helping us mould then into very well rounded individuals.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
I don't mean one of those play bounce places, where people bounce across a series of trampolines (until they break a leg or something), I mean proper fixed trampolines, like what you see at the Olympics etc.

Your local leisure centre is the most likely venue.
I’ll check it out👍🏻