General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 1 Nov 04, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Our New York Search for Spider Man - part 4

Alison - Me
Simon - Him
Benjamin - The Big Boy (aged 4)
Maxi - The Little Boy (aged 3)

Wednesday 27th October, our last day – we went straight to Toys R Us. I was keen to buy the boys something to keep them occupied on the journey home but we again just couldn’t find what we wanted. We wandered from floor to floor for about 2 hours but decided we would leave and go later to Macy’s and look in their toy department so we left and got a yellow cab to Tiffany’s. Simon wanted to buy me something special but I’m not a big jewelry person and the only thing I really wanted was a white gold bangle. Tiffany’s don’t do much in white gold or platinum except engagement rings, the only platinum bangle I really liked was studded with diamonds and had a price tag of about $5,000, a bit more than he’s budgeted! In the end I got a silver bangle (part of the Tiffany 1837 collection) and a silver bracelet. The lady that served us was lovely and was really good with the boys who were bored stiff by the proceedings.

We came out of Tiffany and got another yellow cab to the first shoe shop we’d been in so I could buy the boots I’d liked on the first day. It was like a home coming and all the guys serving recognized us, shook our hand and were really pleased to see the boys. The photo of Spider Man came out and was paraded around everybody. It was really lovely.

We then made our way to Macy’s and down to the coat check desk. As soon as I rounded the corner with Maxi in his buggy and the lady behind the counter saw us her face lit up. She ushered us round to the side door telling the other ladies ‘hey look, it’s my dancing buddies’ and they all danced between the racks of shopping. Again, it was really lovely.

We shopped in Macy’s starting on the top floor where I bought a coat, then as I paid for it I changed my mind as to if I liked it and spent another hour trying other coats on just to stick with the original (both boys and Simon were really bored and the boys were getting increasingly loud).The coat had 40% off so was a real bargain. We also got the boys some Polo shirts, trousers and jeans – also with 40% off. Everything has an 8.25% tax added at the point of sale, but you can get a Macy’s 11% European visitor discount card which cancels out the tax and then some.

There was some Christmas stuff about but not much, we peeked behind a cordoned off area and there was the Christmas train which was magical, I just wish the boys could have seen Santa there. We ran out of time before we ran out of Macy’s, it’s a fabulous shop but believe it or not, I didn’t manage to find a handbag in there!

We wanted to see the Rockefeller Centre and Grand Central Station but time just got away from us.

It was getting late now and we were all tired and really hungry so we dumped our stuff in the hotel and against our better judgment and because we just couldn’t find anything else child friendly we went to Planet Hollywood. We had a terrible experience in Planet Hollywood at DLP (and swore never again) and have never been particularly impressed so with trepidation we went up the stairs. We were seated immediately and the place was half empty which I thought was a very bad sign but I have to say, although the food was little better than okay, the whole experience was more pleasant than any other recent trip to Planet Hollywood.

We went back to Toys R Us and ended up buying Spider Man gloves and masks. We also found the boys other ‘must have’ which were pumpkin outfits for Halloween for both of them.

After much insistence on my part that we shouldn’t (and actually couldn’t because of lack of child seats) just hail a yellow taxi Simon booked a town car to take us to the airport in the morning, with that we climbed the stairs much later than we’d hoped and put the boys to bed and packed. We got to bed at about 11.30 and had to be up at 4.30 for out 8.30 am flight.

After a couple of false starts making us about ½ hour later than we’d hoped, we were in the car and heading away from Manhattan at about 5.45. The journey was a nightmare, and Simon who is fazed by nothing said it was the scariest ride of his life! The driver seemed to think you were supposed to keep the white line in the middle of the car. He even cut a van up so badly I thought he couldn’t possibly avoid us. Luckily we survived and after an uneventful flight (except we were delayed for about an hour over Heathrow due to a change in direction of runway (or something) landed in London at about 9.00 pm. Maxi had slept for about 5 hours and both boys were again fantastic for the entire flight.

We then went on to have a real bad experience at the London hotel we were staying in over night but we’ve just had an email confirming that as well as the complimentary food and wine they provided at the time they are also refunding us the entire cost of the nights stay.

I was amazed at how friendly the New Yorkers were. There are very few children about and I’m sure that’s why our boys got so much attention – even down to a man walking past us in the street saying ‘you have beautiful children’, to a guy asking how old they are and just generally chatting to us and them and all the attention they got from the shop assistants. I am amazed to find myself saying that I have visited the USA six times and have been to Orlando, Miami, the Florida Keys, LA, Las Vegas, Fresno and San Francisco, and a few places in between and I have never met such kind, lovely, polite people as in New York.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 04, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Loved reading all your reprts - we could easily have bumped into each other, but hey what a city! Reading your reports brought all our trip right back to the front - bit of a let down coming home and having to go back to work etc. Glad you enjoyed yourselves!
Jane
Old 2 Nov 04, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi Jane

I know what you mean - back to normal is no fun! We're very lucky in that we're going to WDW in about 7 weeks!

It was my first trip to NYC and I'm still in shock!

Alison
Old 2 Nov 04, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Thank you so much for sharing your reports
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 04, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post

You're more than welcome - thanks for reading.

Alison
Old 6 Nov 04, 01:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Re: Our New York Search for Spider Man - part 4

Originally posted by AEllis
I have never met such kind, lovely, polite people as in New York.
I know what you mean. The lady that dealt with us in Newark when our flight to Orlando was cancelled was just like that

(OK I know Newark is in NJ, not NY!)
Old 29 Nov 04, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Mmmm shopping Lol about the taxi driver reminds me of the Russian immigrant driver we had in 1992, didn't know his way around NY or how to drive!
Sounds like you had a lovely but hectic time.
Claire
Old 29 Nov 04, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List