Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jun 06, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post

"Served with French Fries or Carrots"

I'm trying to build up a little list of places I know my kids will eat something on holiday and have come across a few menus with "carrots" as an alternitive to french fries.

Ever hopeful that they might actually eat something reasonably healthy (unlikely) I wondered if anyone knew how the carrots come? Raw,cooked,sliced in circles, sliced longways,mashed,any other way?

Anyone know?
Many thanks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 06, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

probably deep fried & covered in salt !
can just imagine my boys faces if they were served carrots in place of fries though I would be interested to know of other 'healthy' options as well.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 06, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Little mini carrots - raw, in a small bag like you can get from the salad section of most supermarkets.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 06, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ali-s
probably deep fried & covered in salt .
...I thought that might be the case too!

Thanks for the reply Susi...

I doubt mine would choose them instead of fries either but they do like raw carrots in the house...there might be an outside chance! Shame you have to choose and not have a bit of each.
Old 17 Jun 06, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post

My kids had this option a few times, they come raw and cut into batons, if you go to Tony Romas they give the kids a plate of carrot sticks and celery with a cheese dip when they bring the drinks over. We all often subsituted fries for corn on the cob, and you always have the option of yummy mashed potatoes! I was worried about the kids eating nothing but junk but every childs menu we saw had a veg option on it, and we always ordered a side of asparagus or brocoli with most of our main meals.
The kids did eat lots ot junk, but I made sure that every morning we had a platter of fresh fruit, even if your staying in a hotel room you can pack your fridge with apples and grapes, and a sharp knife for cutting up the delicious pineapples mangoes and melon wont cost much. As long as the kids had a good filling up of fruit everyday then I I stopped fretting so much about the amount of pizza and burgers they had!
Old 17 Jun 06, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
batleyboy26
Imagineer

My kids got fed up of junk last time we were there and they were begging to go to Golden Corral where they filled their plates up with veggies.
batleyboy26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 06, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post

If you ask for carrots when you collect your food they often just give them to you with the frys. They don't really care as I imagine they pay next to nothing for them.
The thing with most of the fruit and veg in America is it is GM. Look at the size of apples in the supermarkets. They are huge and they often lack flavor and are mush in the middle. We were chatting to an American couple who were telling us to avoid places like Walmart for fruit and try Publix as not all theirs was GM. No idea if this is true of not but the fruit was better and not as over sized.
Old 17 Jun 06, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Tiggernut
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twinks
...I thought that might be the case too!

Thanks for the reply Susi...

I doubt mine would choose them instead of fries either but they do like raw carrots in the house...there might be an outside chance! Shame you have to choose and not have a bit of each.
If you have more than one child, why not order one of each and split them?
1992(Honeymoon)&1993 Quality Inn International; 1995, 1997, 2006 and 2009 West Coast; 1996 & 1999 Comfort Inn LBV; 2004 Indian Ridge; 2005 & 2011 Regal Palms; 2007 & 2010 The Manors at West Haven; 2008 Sunridge Woods; 2012 Boston and New York 2013 Sandy Ridge 2014 Colorado/Utah/Vegas 2015 Manors North at West Haven 2016 LV/SF/YOSEMITE 2017 Canada 2017 Indian Ridge Oaks
Tiggernut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 06, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for all these tips!
The kids don't have too bad a diet at home in terms of healthiness (variety could certainly be worked on! ) so I'm not going to get too chewed about a few weeks but I'm just trying to think of a few different options for the fussier one so he doesn't have the same thing at every meal. He's one of those "wrong shape,wrong colour,the sauce is touching ,it's not the same as at home" children. A nightmare to take out... all my fault I know!

I will certainly do the fruit thing as we're in a villa...and near a Publix I believe so thanks for letting me know about the fruit!
Old 17 Jun 06, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tiggernut
If you have more than one child, why not order one of each and split them?
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Because I'm too stupid to think of that! I suppose that would have occured to me as I ordered...I hope!
Closed Thread