Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 13 Jun 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

These so called budget hotels baffle me, are people so desperate to stay onsite that they will pay over the top for inferior accommodation compared to off site.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Most of the off site hotels we have stayed in have microwaves, I have never noticed "smells". Perhaps they are only used for popcorn like we do!
Whilst postimg here, why do people hate shower curtains?
Personally I dislike shower curtains as they have to be inside the bath / shower tray to sop flooding and being a curvy (ie fat) lady they stick to me while I’m showering... and they can’t be properly cleaned...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
These so called budget hotels baffle me, are people so desperate to stay onsite that they will pay over the top for inferior accommodation compared to off site.

Dave
I think that it’s all about the ‘immersive experience’ and ‘living in the bubble’.

I have only stayed on site once in 2005, in ‘All Stars Movies’ and absolutely hated it.

NEGATIVES.
The room was tiny and opened on to a communal open balcony like a cheap motel.
The decor of the tiny room was an overpowering mishmash.
There was a sink at the end of the room and no fridge. . To keep milk cool we had to walk about 50yds to the ice making machine, bring it back and put it in the sink.
The food was quite frankly poor and served on paper plates.
To get off site without a car it was a nightmare. Bus to a park. Bus to transportation centre. Lynx to get out and then ITrolley to
For us, being on site was overpowering and claustrophobic. I have lived in better barrack accommodation.

POSITIVES.
it was clean.
The transportation system within Disney was excellent.

We left that holiday determined to never return. It simply was not for us. It was a further 4 years later in 2009 that we returned. Staying offsite in better accommodation (Staybridge suites) and at a better price, access to hundreds of restaurants and hire of a car made it totally different. Then we found Universal, DC, Busch etc. For the next few years, we bought Disney tickets, but as soon as the boys reached 54 inches, Disney was in our past, accommodation, parks, everything.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:20 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Whilst I am in a family group, I will invariably spend the majority of any Orlando vacation in a villa for all of the reasons identified in this post.

When my boys have flown the nest, then I may reappraise things and stay in a hotel with complimentary breakfast... but never on site.
We still get a villa even for just the 2 of us. Don’t mind hotels on a road trip but could spend a week or 2 in a hotel.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Agreed with PP that personal taste does play a role sometimes. For example, I love the Royal Pacific rooms, so relaxing to be in and a nice bright theme despite the odd piece of dark wood furniture. Someone posted a review on Tripadvisor claiming to be an interior design master and severely critiqued the designs saying they were hideous. Just goes to show, spending a lot of money on a remaster doesn't please everyone.

But as a whole I think most people will argue that room for room on-site accommodation is on average worse/no better than that of off-site accommodation in a similar price bracket. Of course it's problematic to make generalisations, but even specific examples can come out worse - for instance, pricing up for September next year POR was the same price as Royal Pacific, and I hated the look of those rooms. Very dark and dingy, and opening to an outside corridor.

For some the benefits of being on-site outweigh the negatives, for me they never have.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 12:34 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
It's a hotel? How many hotels round the world have microwaves?

You want an aparthotel. Disney don't do a value version of that.

You get basic facilities. Coffee pot and fridge (not even sure of that as haven't stayed in Disney hotel). That is standard in a hotel room.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Have always though Disney rooms to be quite old fashioned(a bit disappointing) , and some of the off-site accommodation has been too.

However we are staying at Coronado Springs in January and they are all refurbished and look lovely, and Port Orleans Riverside, where we are staying next week (Eeek! ) has had/is having a soft refurb so hoping those rooms will be improved

Some off-site accommodation has been really fresh and modern, and we do look very carefully these days before booking as that kind of room is becoming more important to us. If I see a dated photo on sites such as Booking . com I scroll on by...
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I do sort of agree with you. We have only stayed onsite once so far at CBR and my dh wasn’t sure at first. But although they weren’t the most stunning, modern rooms we have stayed in we really enjoyed our stay and they were very comfortable.
We are staying next year at POFQ and really looking forward to it. I do think that if I was ever to stay in GF I would be very disappointed in the rooms after paying so much. ( I know it’s all about the location)
Nothing to do with this thread, but are you Sandra Oh the actress from Killing Eve 🤔🤔
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Nothing to do with this thread, but are you Sandra Oh the actress from Killing Eve 🤔🤔
Haha I’m watching this right now... I wish ! And if I was I prob wouldn’t be staying at POFQ next year... beach club all the way!
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

We have stayed at AOA for the mermaid rooms, tbh the rooms were very small for us and very basic,i think we had a fridge and microwave though. There arent enough benefits to stay onsite for me, never use EMH and disney transport is atrocious! With having to pay for car parking its a definite no from us to even consider it, we will stay in a hotel just outside of Disney, and get an uber in to DIsney for a few dollars, get a free breakfast too and no parking charges, for on average half the cost of a basic disney hotel, even considering the free dining, i can never make it pay to stay onsite.