Old 24 Apr 12, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post

Hope you get your money back soon
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 12, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Thousand Oaks View Post
I am of the impression that she is not there for a holiday
Yes, you could well be right. My post was a little curt.

I am finding it difficult to have sympathy with the owner I'm afraid. My blood will have been past boiling point 2 weeks after returning from my holiday had I not received my deposit back or at least a damn good reason why I hadn't.

Thousands of us put our faith in trust when booking a villa Dibb or not. 99% of villa owners are great and we have no problems with them. However, it takes a couple of these types of issues to cast doubt over other villa owners (not directly but the way in which villas are booked etc)... and I don't even own a villa !

Rant over... sorry
Old 24 Apr 12, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I thought renting a villa advertised on the Dibb was a good way to rent, its just goes to show that wherever you rent it is kind of risky.
I hope you get your money back.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 12, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
Is there a reason why all villa owners don't go down the non returnable insurance option?

I've done this twice and although I know I don't get the money back I felt happier doing this.

I have read several posts where renters have had problems getting the money back - possession being 9/10 ths of the law and all that.

Some people are going into a villa and taking pictures and completing a full inventory before relaxing and being able to enjoy their holiday.

It works for me!
The simple answer is it doesn't cover the owner completely. It covers accidental damage but not theft or malicious damage and knowing most insurance companies any excuse not to pay out they will take. The other side of the coin is if you stand to lose say £3/400 as a renter are you going to be a tad more respectful in the property than thinking "hey its insured".
Also there have been a couple of MCs who have taken the premium not insured it and pocketed the cash!
I know i am looking at this from an Owners point of view and i wont offer this "cover" as its useless for me and i have yet to find a company that covers every eventuality. I had a guest from Chile who decided my Ralph Lauren bath towels would look better in his bathroom than mine and took them and with this insurance i would have had no come back as they were stolen. Its pointless having something which doesnt work for you. I can say however that since being an Owner since 2004 no guest has waited longer than 7 days to get their deposit back.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 12, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BnDamo View Post
The simple answer is it doesn't cover the owner completely. It covers accidental damage but not theft or malicious damage and knowing most insurance companies any excuse not to pay out they will take. The other side of the coin is if you stand to lose say £3/400 as a renter are you going to be a tad more respectful in the property than thinking "hey its insured".
Also there have been a couple of MCs who have taken the premium not insured it and pocketed the cash!
I know i am looking at this from an Owners point of view and i wont offer this "cover" as its useless for me and i have yet to find a company that covers every eventuality. I had a guest from Chile who decided my Ralph Lauren bath towels would look better in his bathroom than mine and took them and with this insurance i would have had no come back as they were stolen. Its pointless having something which doesnt work for you. I can say however that since being an Owner since 2004 no guest has waited longer than 7 days to get their deposit back.
I understand that there is a risk on both sides - I can assure you though that we did not treat the property any different to villa's we have rented where we paid, no deposit or villas where we paid a deposit.

We were more worried as we were travelling with a toddler and utalised the baby walker and she wasn't the best of drivers luckily there was no damage caused while we were there and we have never been refused a deposit back.

I think I am becoming more concerned as I read more and more threads where the renters are not getting their deposits back either because of financial problems of the owner or being accused of theft/damage that never happened.

Please don't get me wrong I don't think that every villa owner is dishonest far from it, I have no concerns at all that I won't get my deposit back from the owner I am renting from, last time we had a cheque back in few days.

I just wondered if there was an easier way to cover both the renter and owner that could possibly reduce the risk!
Old 24 Apr 12, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post

WE are taking the insurance out but will look after the villa well. It makes you feel better if something does happen knowing you have it. Hope the OP gets her money back.
Old 24 Apr 12, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Well I've been advised to send the Villa Owner another email which I've done so here's hoping I get my money back soon. Susie x
Old 24 Apr 12, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah & Andy
Imagineer

Hoping you get your money back soon Susie x

June 2007 - POR, Oct & Nov 08 - Three weeks of POR, Feb 2011 - Winners of Money can't buy VIP competition Grand Floridian, Aug 2011 - 3 weeks AKL CL & POR, Aug 2012 3 weeks POR, Aug 2013 AK CL, Disney Dream & POR, Aug 2015 SSR and engaged, Aug 2016 Disney Magic, Aug 2017 AKL CL and OKW and our Disney Wedding
Sarah & Andy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 12, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Hope you get your money back. I too had the unfortunate dealings of a selfish villa owner. The villa owners on here went above what they had to, to help us still have our holiday. I will always be grateful to them, so please all do not let a bad apple ruin it for others.

Do villa owners not just ask for a cheque. The villa we have this year have and will only cash it if they have to.
Old 24 Apr 12, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Thousand Oaks
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 6
Originally Posted by mainecoon lover View Post
Do villa owners not just ask for a cheque. The villa we have this year have and will only cash it if they have to.
Yes I believe some villa owners do this, but this can also be risky. Just as guests have to trust the owners, the owners need to be able to trust the guest also.

The problem with the method of asking for a cheque and not cashing it is this... if the owner was unfortunate enough to have guests that were disrespectful to the property and caused damages or stole, the owner would then cash the cheque, but who is to say there are enough funds in the bank and the cheqe would not bounce?

The issue of security deposits is still a problem for both villa owners and guests
Thousand Oaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread