Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
New York First Timers - Day 1, Travel, Shake Shack & Times Square

Day 1 Travel

So after a countdown of almost a year, our travel day had arrived at last! I woke up at 7am in a lovely room at the Holiday Inn Express Heathrow T5 (not actually at the airport at all but very nice indeed!).

I managed to get Aaron out of bed by 8am and we headed down to see what was on offer for breakfast. We weren't expecting much as it was included with the price but they actually had a nice selection of juice, pastries as well as toast, sausages, beans and scrambles egg (powdered). We both had a couple of croissants and then I followed it up with a toasted sausage sandwich with some beans. It filled a hole.

We headed back up to the room, spent a couple of minutes packing up all our bits and bobs and were checked out by 9am. It took us about 20 minutes to drive to Purple parking, where we were leaving the car and after a quick minibus journey we arrived at T3 by 10am. As this holiday had been booked with a tour group via Aarons work we had to locate our rep. We found her within a few minutes and headed towards check in. We were given seats together which turned out to be very lucky as a lot of people in our group were sat separately!

We got through security with no issues and headed through to the shops, we had a quick look in duty free and popped into Pret to buy a couple of sandwiches & drinks for the flight (£10) and set of for our gate. We boarded on time, although once on the plane it was chaos with people complaining about their seats! In the end I think the hostesses managed to move everyone so they were either sitting together or directly infront/behind one another. It seems so silly to me that the booking system can’t ensure that in the first instance! We had a 30 minute ground delay but were told the flight time would only be 6hr 30 mins instead of the advised 8 hours so that was pleasing.

I started the flight with 2 episodes of the Big Bang Theory & Monsters University while Aaron watched At Worlds End. Lunch was served 2 hours into the flight, we declined the pitiful offerings, munched on our sandwiches and drank some white wine (me) and Beer (Aaron). Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of our sandwiches, they were really good though. The Pret a Manger Christmas Ham & Cranberry baguette!

I then watched a bit of the Internship before my nerve calming tablets, paired with the wine kicked in and I fell asleep. While I was out Aaron watched Kick Ass 2, Family Guy & Phone shop. We declined afternoon tea when it was offered and before long we were coming into land at 3.45pm local time after what had been a very smooth and stress free flight.

Once off the plane we made a bee line for immigration. The queue looked absolutely horrendous but they had a lot of officers on and we were through within 45 minutes. We headed over to grab our waiting bags and located the rest of our group. Whilst we were waiting for the last few people to clear immigration, I headed over to Duncan Donuts to get Aaron a snack and a drink. I chose what looked like a caramel topped one that had a jam filled label in front of it. ($4.50). It turned out to be a coconut covered, mince pie filled one though. He wasn’t happy with my choice, oops!

Before long everyone was through and we were heading towards our bus. The journey into the city took about 1 hr 15 and before long the Freedom Tower and the Empire State were in our view. We arrived at the hotel and they were very efficient in getting everyone checked in. My request for a high room was granted and we were on the 11th floor. (Room 1103)

First impressions of the hotel were fabulous, it was quite dark and modern but glamorous as the same time. Our room was a good size and we had a partial Empire State Building view to top it off…. We were very happy! (FYI- our hotel was the King and Grove near the corner of 29th & Madison and I would highly recommend it)

Edited at 03:57 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 13, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
By this point it was 7pm. I tried to call our Big Apple Greeter to confirm we had arrived but although I could hear her, she couldn’t hear me , we face timed Aarons mom who, was at our house looking after our dog, we both had a quick shower (very good) before getting dressed, using the reception phone to call our greeter and heading out into the city.

We walked down Madison Avenue in the direction of Shake Shack and before long we came across it. We got in the queue, placed our order and were given a pager. We managed to get a seat on the edge of the seating area looking into Madison Square Park and waited for our food. The atmosphere here was lovely. They had string lights covering the area and outside heaters so it wasn’t too cold. Everyone seemed to be talking to each other as well. I already had the feeling I was going to LOVE New York.

Before long our order was ready. I had the Shake Stack, a burger topped with a deep fried, breaded, cheese wrapped Portobello mushroom.

Aaron had the Smoke Shack burger and we shared a fries. I drank a yummy vanilla milkshake and Aaron had diet coke.

The meal was amazing, the burgers were fresh and juicy and my mushroom topping was delicious! The milkshake finished it off nicely! After dinner we just sat there for a while soaking up the atmosphere and trying to appreciate the fact that we were in NYC.

Our next stop was Times Square for some cocktails. We walked all the way up Broadway, having a quick pop into Macy’s on the way past. We headed in, made a u Turn at the escalator and headed straight back out. Far too busy for me and seriously over heated as well! At least we can say we have been there though.

We carried on up, popping into Toys R Us as we passed but again, couldn’t get back out quick enough. As per our plan, we popped into TGI Fridays expecting it to be quite lively on a Friday night but it was completely dead and lacking atmosphere so we carried on our search.

We came across Eileens Stardust Diner and having read about it in various trippys we gave it a go. The atmosphere was good but the actual place was in need of a new paint job. Food was splattered up the walls, paint was peeling and it just looked a bit tired. We ordered a glass of Sangria for me and Aaron had a Parma Margarita. Both were good, as was the service and the singing.

By the time we had finished this round we were flagging. I think it was about 3am uk time at this point so I had been away 20 hours. We paid up ($23 + tip) and headed back towards our hotel.

We saw lots of NY trash

On our way back we came across the New York Library, Aaron spotted it first and recognised it from Ghostbusters! It was lovely to just happen upon it and it saved us time the next morning as it was on our to do list!

Edited at 03:23 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 13, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
While we were stood there taking photos, an absolutely massive police chase took place right next to us! I’m not sure who they were after but they obviously lost them as they all came to a complete halt right next to us, there was at least 6 cars and about 15 officers on foot all absolutely legging it up 5th Avenue! They were speaking to a couple of dodgy looking men who I presumed were being questioned but these two turned out to be from the undercover car! A very good disguise! It was a very exciting couple of minutes and i did the only thing a tourist can do and took lots of photos!

We carried on down 5th and I was just wondering along minding my own business when Aaron said look up, we were right underneath the Empire State and I was just casually about to walk past. Again, he said he recognised the uniform of the doorman from Elf We popped in for a look at the famous lobby and took a few photos. It really is a magnificent building!

Continuing on we spotted a pizza place and peckish again by this point (don’t ask me how) we stopped for a slice each. Margarita for me & Pepperoni for Aaron + a diet coke ($10). Absolutely yummy!

Not long after eating these as we walked, we were back at the hotel. After a shower for me, we were in bed and asleep within seconds.

All in all it was a brilliant travel day and an excellent start to our time in the City.

Tomorrow, Big Apple Greeter, Midtown, Dylans Candy Bar & Tony Di Napoli

Edited at 03:22 PM.
Old 29 Nov 13, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Love the view from your room. Not sure why but images of NY always give me goose bumps. I must go back someday!
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 13, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
Love the view from your room. Not sure why but images of NY always give me goose bumps. I must go back someday!
The view was a lovely surprise! It really is an amazing city, I'm sure we will be back at some point!
Old 29 Nov 13, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Ah, great start!

I really fancy Shake Shack but do they only do burgers? My dh can't eat bread so needs a wrap ideally.

Also, shame about Ellen's, it's on my list, but now I'm not so sure. I hate places that look a bit rundown.

Your hotel seems to be in a great position too. Looking forward to reading more!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 13, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
great start
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 13, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Great start!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 13, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

This looks so fab. We are maybe in the planning stage at the moment, it looks so beautiful. Can't wait to read the rest.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 13, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Yay you've started! What a bonus with the view from your hotel. And well done on staying up so long after your arrived, although I have to admit it's somehow easier when you're in New York - it seems a waste having an early night, no matter how tired you are, you just want to be out exploring the city.

Really looking forward to reading Day 2.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List