Old 8 Jan 16, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Toronto First Timers! December 2015 - Day 3

We woke naturally at 8am thin morning and had another relaxing morning, leaving the hotel at about 9am. Before we left though, we did have to cancel our late lunch at the CN tower as the visibility was horrific & it was a pricey meal that we were mainly doing for the experience of heading up the tower.

No view here this morning! (this it is the CN tower a few hundred feet from our hotel)!

We walked through the PATH to Union Station as it was raining and then carried on down Front St to the St Lawrence Markets again. This time they were open! We had a really good look around the top floor & bottom floor, looking at all our options for breakfast.

There were numerous bakeries, fruit shops, coffee shops & even a stand selling hot bacon sandwiches with were tempting. Aaron grabbed a coffee from one stall and then we went in for food. That typical breakfast offering being Chinese! We shared a tray with noodles, rice, char su pork & sweet & sour chicken, throwing on an dumpling for good measure! It cost $11 with a can of Diet Coke. It was good, but no Panda Express!

Not entirely satisfied with that mammoth dish, we then came across an Italian place selling the most incredible looking chicken & aubergine parm sandwiches! Honestly, they must have weighed a couple of lb each. We shared one and it was amazing! Aaron even said it was the best sandwich he has ever had. It cost $12 with a bottle of water. We also picked up some pastries for dessert, a blondie, a chocolate pecan tart & a Portuguese egg tart. These came to $5.

It was still miserable when we came out of the market, so after a bit of a discussion we decided on the cinema, we walked towards the Eaton Center and head into the Cineworld, paying $22 for two tickets to see Joy. I loved it, Aaron thought it was OK in parts but wasn’t too enthralled by it.

When we came out we headed over to Pickle Barrel as it had been recommended on here. We were sat in the window but it was really hot & stuffy as we were on top of the floor heater. It just wasn’t great in there, even though I really fancied the chicken & waffles, so we made a move and head back towards the hotel. On the way, by pure coincidence (even though Aaron doesn’t believe me) we came across the Keg Steakhouse again! Oops. I was happy to walk past but he knew how much I had loved it and so we walked in for round two!

We were seated right away again and pretty much replicated our meal from the first night without the starter. I swapped the baked potato for garlic mash & Aaron swapped the garlic mash for fries. The food was incredible again and the bill came to $132 plus tip which included a bottle of wine and a maple bourbon cocktail.

We pit stopped at City walk again to watch the skating but as there was so much slush, they had closed the rink. Some nutty wedding photographers didn’t mind though and slid into the middle to capture some pics. I grabbed on quickly of the happy couple!

We walked back to the hotel, stopping at Boston Pizza on the way which had a temporary Stub Hub collection point set up. We were grabbing our tickets for tonight’s Ice hockey match at the Air Canada centre. There were no issues and with a flash of my ID we had tickets in hand. We popped back to the hotel and spent our time admiring the view from our window before we head back out. The fogginess had cleared and it was a beautifully clear night.

A couple of mess around pics!

We got to the game at 6.30pm and after going through the metal detectors (behind a woman who kicked off because she had a pen knife on her key ring & they made her ditch it) we head strait to our seats. The pre match show was amazing with really great images projected onto the ice, we then had the national anthems & before long the match had started. Aaron got a couple of beers, I had a Diet Coke and we also shared some popcorn & a Hagan Daas Ice cream during the game. I didn’t write down the price for this lot, I think I have tried to block it from my memory!

The atmosphere at the match was great & the roar when the Maple leafs scored was immense. Unfortunately they lost though

After the match we made our way back to the hotel, we decided to head up the CN tower as it was now clear but after a falling out in the lift we changed our minds and head back to the hotel. Its a shame but we wouldn't ave enjoyed it whilst not talking to each other . I had a bath & we were in bed by 11.30pm.

Edited at 03:07 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 16, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The market looks great, the sandwich looks amazing. Another great day, I'd love to watch the Ice Hockey.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 16, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The food market sounds like heaven to me

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 16, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post

We love Toronto!

I hope you had some decent snow boots.

If you ever do Niagara again you must pop to Niagara-on-the-Lake, not sure how accessible it is in the Winter though.

It's the old town and has some beautiful historic buildings. The hotel serves a delicious cream tea.

We loved watching the Leafs play, such a great atmosphere in the arena.

Btw -5 is mild for Toronto.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 16, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
The food at St Lawrence Market is just fab isn't it? The fruit and veg look simply delicious and so much better than we get here. I would love to have that market to pop into on the way home from work each evening. We'd eat so much more fresh food.

That bride must have been freezing!

What a shame about your late night crossed words. It happens to us all though. Hope you got chance to pop up the CN Tower on another day.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 16, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Sounds like another good day. Such a shame you missed your meal at CN tower. As it revolves the views are fantastic. Good thing is the views from your hotel look great.

Bet the few words you had were Aarons fault

Great pics and thanks for sharing
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 16, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
The market looks great, the sandwich looks amazing. Another great day, I'd love to watch the Ice Hockey.
Oh that sandwich! The ice hockey was fab, we would definitely go again.

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
The food market sounds like heaven to me
It was a great market, absolutely huge!

Originally Posted by D15NEY View Post
We love Toronto!

I hope you had some decent snow boots.

If you ever do Niagara again you must pop to Niagara-on-the-Lake, not sure how accessible it is in the Winter though.

It's the old town and has some beautiful historic buildings. The hotel serves a delicious cream tea.

We loved watching the Leafs play, such a great atmosphere in the arena.

Btw -5 is mild for Toronto.
We did buy some snow boots especially, bu left them at home when we saw the weather forecast. They weren't needed as it was so mild.

Niagara on the Lake was on our plan but you just cant fit everything in can you

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
The food at St Lawrence Market is just fab isn't it? The fruit and veg look simply delicious and so much better than we get here. I would love to have that market to pop into on the way home from work each evening. We'd eat so much more fresh food.

That bride must have been freezing!

What a shame about your late night crossed words. It happens to us all though. Hope you got chance to pop up the CN Tower on another day.
The market was amazing!

Yes, the bride would have been cold, I had a winter wedding though and I was in such a happy daze the cold never touched me

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Sounds like another good day. Such a shame you missed your meal at CN tower. As it revolves the views are fantastic. Good thing is the views from your hotel look great.

Bet the few words you had were Aarons fault

Great pics and thanks for sharing
It is a shame about the CN tower but we wouldn't have enjoyed it and its not cheap so I would have begrudged paying the money too. It's definitely a reason to go back hey!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 16, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Great pictures again - shame you didn't get to go up the CN Tower but you''ll just have to go back again in the summer!

I really can't decide whether to do the meal in the CN Tower - there's 4 of us and as you say, it's quite expensive. We've only got 3 nights in Downtown Toronto (the first night we could be quite late arriving) so that leaves two and there's other places I want to go as well.

We're staying in the Vaughan area for 3 nights as well (near to Canada's Wonderland and The Canadian Open tennis) and I see there's a Keg there to might do that then instead.

Decisions, decisions!
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 16, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rossalino View Post
Great pictures again - shame you didn't get to go up the CN Tower but you''ll just have to go back again in the summer!

I really can't decide whether to do the meal in the CN Tower - there's 4 of us and as you say, it's quite expensive. We've only got 3 nights in Downtown Toronto (the first night we could be quite late arriving) so that leaves two and there's other places I want to go as well.

We're staying in the Vaughan area for 3 nights as well (near to Canada's Wonderland and The Canadian Open tennis) and I see there's a Keg there to might do that then instead.

Decisions, decisions!
Keg was amazing so you must do that! The retaurant at the CN Tower is pricey but the meal actually works out to be quite reasonable if you're definitely climbing the tower.
Old 12 Jan 16, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, definitely want to go to the Keg - there's one in Niagara Falls as well so if we can't fit it in in Toronto there's still that option

As you say, the meal at the CN Tower doesn't work out too bad if you're paying to go up it anyway, so I think I probably will go ahead and book.
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List