Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 22 Nov 18, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
it's not difficult - key is to take your time.

YouTube videos is a really good idea. Also, magazines like Custom PC also do regular how to build a PC articles but in reality youtube will do the trick.

Have fun, it's quite enjoyable and I find the hardest part these days is getting the backplate in properly.

BTW If you want to get the part list posted up here I'll give it a once over as well.

What games is he looking to play and at what resolution?

The resolution he is looking for is 1080p.

Here's the spec he's thinking of:-

Busy planning Florida holiday number 17
LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
My DS wants to do the same. He's 13 and has been saving for ages. After Xmas he'll have enough to build a reasonable machine. I have been building PCs for years so obviously I will help him with it, but I haven't actually built one for years (since I switched to Macs).

So whilst I have no issues with the actual building, what I don't know is what's good and what isn't! He doesn't know what's what either and is relying on me.

I think I've settled on a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, but I don't know what graphics card to get, so if anyone has a suggestion at about £250 (or even a little more) for that I'd be grateful!

(Sorry, hijacking a bit here!)
This is the DS here, stealing Mum's account for a bit.

If you're looking for a graphics card in that price range then I recommend either AMD's RX580 or NVIDIA's GTX 1060. The 1060 does slightly outperform the RX580 but if you don't want the screen to tear up while playing games you'll have to pay a premium for NVIDIA's GSYNC tech. However if you are to go for the RX580 then you'd be getting a way better deal with their Freesync tech (the same as NVIDIA's, just under a different name) if you look at the parts I've picked in another reply you will see that I went with a curved Freesync 1080p monitor at just under £200 which is a great deal.

Hope this helps.

LoveHolidays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
LoveHolidays
Apprentice Imagineer

DS has now handed back the iPad, so it's back to the non tech speaking Mum

I don't think my pic of his parts list is very clear so I've cut and paste it instead (it's all gobbledygook to me):-

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£145.46 @ Scan.co.uk)

Motherboard: MSI - B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard (£88.88 @ More Computers)

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£98.39 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Crucial - MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£300.99 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Gaming 8G Video Card (£199.97)

Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£84.95 @ Ebuyer)

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.87 @ Amazon UK)

Optical Drive: LG - GH24NSD1 DVD/CD Writer (£15.86 @ Amazon UK)

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - PCE-AC56 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter (£34.99 @ Box Limited)

Monitor: AOC - C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (£194.40 @ Amazon UK)

Keyboard: Logitech - K120 - UK Layout Wired Standard Keyboard (£12.60 @ PC World Business)

Mouse: Gigabyte - GM-M6900 Wired Optical Mouse (£20.26 @ More Computers)

Speakers: Logitech - Z333 40 W 2.1ch Speakers
Total: £1282.62

Old 23 Nov 18, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
What games will he be playing?
Good question. Let's assume Fortnite, and some inappropriate ones his mum won't want him playing!

Originally Posted by LoveHolidays View Post
This is the DS here, stealing Mum's account for a bit.

If you're looking for a graphics card in that price range then I recommend either AMD's RX580 or NVIDIA's GTX 1060. The 1060 does slightly outperform the RX580 but if you don't want the screen to tear up while playing games you'll have to pay a premium for NVIDIA's GSYNC tech. However if you are to go for the RX580 then you'd be getting a way better deal with their Freesync tech (the same as NVIDIA's, just under a different name) if you look at the parts I've picked in another reply you will see that I went with a curved Freesync 1080p monitor at just under £200 which is a great deal.

Hope this helps.
Helps a lot - thank you! I might take the rest of your list as inspiration too (although with a smaller SSD paired with a normal disk).

My god what has happened. I used to be the 14 year old giving PC advice. Now I'm receiving it.

Edited at 10:21 AM.
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List