Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 21 Feb 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile Car hire in Italy. Excess insurance?

Sorry I’m unsure what it’s called. But I’ve read about people being swindled by European car hire agents when they return the vehicle and others have advised they should have had some excess insurance. Does anyone know what I mean?
I need to hire a car from Naples. I don’t particularly want to but at €160 for transfers or £80 to hire a car (that will then sit in the hotel car park for days), it’s a no-brainer really. We aren’t particularly worried about the driving but more about the stories we’ve heard were people have hundreds taken off their credit cards when they get back home for “damage” they know they didn’t do. How can I protect myself against this?
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I was one of them . Dont use locauto if you dobt have to for car hire.Just Google car hire excess policies. I used coverforyou .paid up promptly with no fuss
Do not hire a car in Italy without it.they are truly the worst in Europe

Edited at 06:57 PM.
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Thanks. I’ve hired before in Italy and got swindled on arrival. They told me I didn’t have sufficient insurance and needed to pay more. You certainly need your wits about you! And as for the actual driving... 😳
I just want to make sure I’ve got everything sewn up this time before I go.
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
bluesky30
Imagineer

We always take out a separate policy with car hire excess

carhireexcess
bluesky30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tweety-pie
Imagineer

tweety-pie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We take out the separate excess policy before we go to Italy too. Heard too many horror stories.
Old 1 Mar 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Can I ask have you found any decent deals ? We are off to Sicily and it’s £600 for a weeks hire with the insurance inc. we’ve been advised not to have the separate ins as they still swindle you at the office saying it isn’t sufficient. I also don’t fancy the €1700 hold the have on your card if you don’t have the excess removed.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

We always use Sixt for car hire in europe after many dodgy experiences with excess deposits etc... and take an excess insurance worldwide insure do one was £12 last time I did it, well worth it for peace of mind.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
As an aside will there be any repercussions re licensing after 29th March if we leave the EU with no deal? My mate at the pub(so not expert ) is saying you won't be able to hire a car on a British Licence.. you will need an international licence... just asking out of interest ..

Edited at 04:04 PM.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Can I ask have you found any decent deals ? We are off to Sicily and it’s £600 for a weeks hire with the insurance inc. we’ve been advised not to have the separate ins as they still swindle you at the office saying it isn’t sufficient. I also don’t fancy the €1700 hold the have on your card if you don’t have the excess removed.
That seems like far too much to me. The only time we’ve ever had to pay near that amonunt was for a 7 seater car. Are you looking really far ahead? I find that if I look too far in advance the prices are ridiculously high. We payed around £150 for a week from Naples in August 2017. This time 5 nights in May is coming up around £110. This is for the next size up from the smallest car, as we don’t have a lot of luggage.
That’s Holiday Autos I’m pricing with. They come up with several different providers and each has a varying amount of what you need available on credit card for your excess.