Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 7 Jan 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
not2old4disney
slightly serious Dibber

Teenage boys advent calendar?

I know this is ridiculously early to be thinking about but the last few years my parents have made it a bit of a tradition to get my 3 kids a non sweet advent calendar as part of their Christmas gifts. It used to be really easy as they were all into lego so DS1 got the star wars lego, DS2 either a lego city or star wars one and DD loved the lego friends. The problem now that they are getting bigger is that they're kind of past those ones.

DD is easy as she's right into nail varnish, make up, beauty products so there is a wealth of choice along those lines. DS2 sorted for this year as he is a massive Harry Potter fan and Funko pop collector and we spotted a Harry Potter Funko calendar on sale in Smyths while picking up a click and collect order so grabbed that. DS1 however, not so easy! He will be nearly 15 come Christmas 2019, is a massive Funko pop collector (but not into Harry Potter, so if they had another version available in the UK that would have been perfect and apparently too easy! ) he's into things like his xbox, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Fantastic Beasts, Marvel, gadgets and technology - the only lego he touches now is Lego Architecture as he wants to be an architect and likes learning about the different structures etc as well as building them and although he uses them, he finds gifts along the lines of toiletries/grooming boring.

This year they got Haynes calendars, one to build a radio and another to build retro arcade games but they were a bit of a bust to be honest Not great quality and getting silly little easily lost bits each day that you can't do anything with until you've opened every door so would avoid those ones in future.

Has anyone seen any kind of advent calendar for teen boys that we could look out for this year?

I had looked into making our own one for him but that seemed to be getting to be an incredibly expensive option and not too realistic.

Grateful for any suggestions or ideas people might have!
not2old4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

No idea about the calendar DS is the same age and I find it really hard to think of things.

However, have you seen Arckit? That might be the wrong spelling
DS loves it.
We think it’s much better than Lego if architecture is your thing.
OH is a surveyor and his dad is an architect and they’d happily use it!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
not2old4disney
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
No idea about the calendar DS is the same age and I find it really hard to think of things.

However, have you seen Arckit? That might be the wrong spelling
DS loves it.
We think it’s much better than Lego if architecture is your thing.
OH is a surveyor and his dad is an architect and they’d happily use it!
No I haven't but i'll go and check it out! Thanks so much, could be another thing we can get on his list
not2old4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

We saw some brilliant advent calendars in Debenhams, they had some based on the Haynes manuals, one was an advent calendar that each bit when complete was a camera, can't remember the price but it was cheaper than Lego ones, might be worth a look if they have some in sale still.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List