Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 22 Feb 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

Hamburg

Anyone been to Hamburg, any recommendations for attractions, restaurants, etc etc
Looking at visiting the chocolate factory and miniature wonderland any other suggestions please
We,re going at Easter
Thanks
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
webby3
slightly serious Dibber

We spent 5 days there in August, didn't do the chocolate factory. Minature wonderland was amazing. Get there early, its busy - we had a 3 year and 7 year old and we spent 5 hours in there, they were't bored.
we went on the ferry around the harbour, that was fun, a bit of shopping, had a day out via local train in Lubek, the home of marzipan. did a lot of walking around the city looking at various buildings.
Had a walk ( and a couple of runs ) around the big central lake, Wandsee I think?
Fantastic city, you'll love it.
webby3 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
We were there in May last year. We didn’t get to Miniature Wonderland as there was a private event taking place and they weren’t releasing tickets for hours. We did an open top bus tour which was memorable for the wrong reasons. To explain, we got the bus at the town hall square and when we got upstairs the tour guide announced “the English bus is behind “. I answered him in German that it wasn’t a problem for me as I understand German. We set off and were then made the subjects of jokes all the way to the first stop where we got off because I couldn’t stand it any more. I kid you not. We were made to feel very unwelcome by this elderly guide and the passengers were hooting with laughter. An example of one of the jokes was when we passed a Burger King he said that this was the favourite restaurant of the English because they don’t need knives and forks. Not funny but the whole bus were laughing. I said nothing because we were outnumbered. However, the next bus was fine. The young tour guide was really informative and spoke in English and German and we felt much more comfortable. I would say do the bus but if anybody says that the English bus is behind... get off.

We also did a paddle steamer trip round Hamburg port - the place is huge. Probably not going to keep children interested as I seem to remember an awful lot of container ships. We did see a beluga plane take off and fly overhead which was quite a sight.

I love Germany.it is a beautiful country. We left Hamburg behind and travelled to the Baltic Coast which was fabulous. I think it’s rare to experience what we did and our German friends were horrified. It hasn’t put me off Germany however.

Edited at 08:44 PM.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List