Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 2 Mar 18, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
bobafettbach
Getting Excited

Mini DV Help

I've got an old video camera with a bunch of mini DV tapes that I want to convert to mp4. The video camera itself has a Firewire port (pretty sure it's Firewire 400), but my laptop doesn't. I do however have a Thunderbolt port.

A quick Google search suggests I'd need a Firewire cable, then a Firewire 400-800 adapter, then get Apple's Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter. But that just seems like a lot of hassle and a lot of cable/adapters to buy. Also the review on the Apple adapter suggests it's not 100% compatible with Windows.

Is this the only way short of looking for an external hub with a Firewire port? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.
Old 3 Mar 18, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Unfortutunalty the options are pretty much non-existant on a Thunderbolt to IEEE 400 connection that's stable I'm afraid.

However given that DV transfer is realtime you could look at a USB video capture stick (£20ish on Amazon - can't vouch for the quality but there's lots with reviews to choose from) and use your cameras RCA output assuming you still have that cable to do the playback and capture.
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

I would avoid any USB options in the connector chain if you can as they don't run a continuous data stream and the risk of dropped frames is quite high. I have done loads of Mini DV capture via Firewire and even that can go wrong if your Anti Virus software of OS chooses to update in the middle of a 60 min real time capture. Also, a 60 min tape will require just short of 14Gb per tape. I would suggest asking any friends or colleagues who may still be using older desktop hardware and have a Firewire port as part of their tower to capture for you/with you. I also fell foul of MS and Panasonic no longer supplying drivers after Win XP! so my top level camcorders wouldn't show up when connected. I ended up using an ancient Sony solely to capture. I hope you find a solution.
Old 19 Dec 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MacUK
VIP Dibber

MacUK's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
If you can find one of these.

amazon/Sony-VRDMC6...SIN=B002EVP85K
MacUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List