Old 1 Oct 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Omg love your food choices! Xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 18, 04:12 AM  
Link to this Post
lua1904
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Dinner was at the Yachtsman which was the first signature restaurant we ever went to in 2012. We couldn't resist the pull apart onion rolls and Tom started with the crab cake which came with a fried green tomato and candied bacon jam. I had the shrimp cocktail which was a little boring.

For mains we shared the 32oz porterhouse steak which came with beef fat potatoes and a choice of steakhouse side - we chose the mac and cheese. The steak was good but a little chewy in places however we weren't keen on the potatoes they were a little bit odd not crispy or roasted like we were expecting. I also think it was a bit mean that this didn't come with any kind of vegetables, I know you could order creamed spinach but some plain vegetables would have been great. I enjoyed a glass of amarone.

Tom had a Lexington sundae which had toasted marshmallows on and they were really good - I stole a few!

The real downside of this evening was that the Disney buses took forever we left Old Key West at 6pm and didn't get home until 11.30pm, we waited over an hour at Disney Springs for a bus home
lua1904 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 18, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great reviews so far. That steak at Yachtsman looks amazing. We have a reservation at Flying Fish for our anniversary next year so glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I have to say, we never go via Disney Springs if we are trying to get elsewhere, the buses are notoriously unreliable. Were the boats not running to Old Key West from DS? I think I probably would have got an Uber.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
lua1904

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Great reviews so far. That steak at Yachtsman looks amazing. We have a reservation at Flying Fish for our anniversary next year so glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I have to say, we never go via Disney Springs if we are trying to get elsewhere, the buses are notoriously unreliable. Were the boats not running to Old Key West from DS? I think I probably would have got an Uber.

The boats were running but there was already a few people waiting so I thought we would be on our way fairly quickly but unfortunately not! Are the Ubers ok in Orlando? Tom's not keen to try them, but I'm not keen to queue for an hour for a bus either
lua1904 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Thanks for these reports, loving your food choices.
I really like the Flying Fish but one of our party didn’t enjoy it last time so think we’re doing Le Cellier instead, maybe I can persuade him?!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
lua1904

On Monday we went to Hollywood Studios and we had a reservation at the Hollywood Brown Derby. When we were last on dining plan we came here and had the wagyu burger and have been dreaming of it ever since!

I had a blood orange margarita and Tom fancied a milkshake but the waitress said that they don't have any ice cream available at the restaurant so can't make any so he had a refillable coke.

Tom had the crab wanton for starter which he enjoyed and I had the baby spinach salad which had goats cheese, peaches and strawberries which was really light.

Now for main course we both ordered the wagyu burger which came with pastrami, gruyere, avocado, fried egg and aioli. We loved this last time we came but this time it tasted greasy, the burger was falling apart and grainy and it came with just 5 soft wedges. It wasn't a bit like we remembered and we were really disappointed

This is a picture from the good days

It could taste different because we've done Slimming world for the past two years and really reduced the amount of fat we have in our diets but although this is a two credit restaurant it just didn't seem up to the usual quality of Disney signature restaurants, we definitely wouldn't go back and the service wasn't great, tom's drink was taken for a refill and never brought back.
Old 2 Oct 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
lua1904

We went to Sanaa for Dinner at Animal Kingdom Lodge. When we arrived there was a wait to be seated so we sat at the bar and Tom had his usual and I had a paloma - tequila, grapefruit and soda, so refreshing.

Tom started with scallops and chana dal which was a bit stodgy and I had the salad sampler which was ok - we definitely should have got the bread service.

For main Tom ordered the BBQ platter which was housemade sausage, pork loin and lamb chop with traditional accompaniments (tender stem broccoli, mashed potatoes and creamy baby onions) while I had the chicken biryani. Again both of these were only ok and I think we chose wrong, we've had the potje inspired items before last time we visited and we should have stuck with them this time.

We also ordered dessert tonight, I had the coffee dessert which tasted more like chocolate and Tom had the triple chocolate dessert which he said was ok.

All in all it wasn't a great food day but dinner was definitely because we made poor choices. We get our car tomorrow (Tuesday) so we are planning an early breakfast at Wolfgang Puck's and dinner at STK Orlando.
Old 2 Oct 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lua1904

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Thanks for these reports, loving your food choices.
I really like the Flying Fish but one of our party didn’t enjoy it last time so think we’re doing Le Cellier instead, maybe I can persuade him?!

At the moment we have a reservation for Le Cellier later in the week so I'll let you know which we prefer - we've previously loved it there too.
Old 2 Oct 18, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
lua1904

We started the day at Wolfgang Puck's. We split the breakfast pizza and it was really lovely just needed some ketchup

I'm all caught up now and dinner tonight is STK Orlando which is new for us.
Old 3 Oct 18, 03:38 AM  
Link to this Post
lua1904

Dinner was STK Orlando. This is 2 credits per person on the dining plan.

The restaurant has a nightclub vibe and the music is very loud, it didn't feel like the kind of place for a romantic meal!

For starter Tom had the double smoked bacon and I tried a bit and it was really good, it had a deep smoky flavour. I had the crispy rock shrimp with a chilli remoulade which was really spicy which I enjoyed, the rock shrimp weren't as crisp as I would have liked and the batter was a bit heavy.

We shared the porterhouse for two. None of the steaks come with sides/carbs/veg and are only accompanied by a sauce or two. We chose pepper sauce and STK sauce (rich BBQ). We ordered some Parmesan truffle fries too and when they came they were waffle fries. The steak was huge when it arrived but I have to say it wasn't a patch on the Yachtsman steak, it was sliced too thick and wasn't cooked to a true medium rare all the way through and the side was expensive at £13 dollars. Thank goodness we didn't order the lobster mac and cheese which was an additional £25 dollars as I expect that we would have been really disappointed.

Tom had the warm cookie for dessert which he thought was disappointing as it was crisp rather than gooey.

Tomorrow we're at Boma and SciFi Diner, hope it will be good!