Notices

Old 6 Oct 18, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by kansaskitty View Post
What an amazing trip! Two stunning resorts! Your MIL sounds wonderful by the way, I bet you’ll all have a blast!
Thanks. She is. We have our differences like everyone else but we have a great relationship.

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
Wow sounds like an amazing trip! Can’t wait to read more about it xx
Thanks

Originally Posted by eleele View Post
We did a last minute trip last year and the organising of it was a bit panicked especially as it was just me doing it! You'll be fine though, we're all pros on the Dibb

Disneyworld is amazing at Christmas, I'd love to go again, you'll have a brilliant time!
I read your report. It sounded great. My stresses organising this trip are nothing compared to what you were going through. I hope you are keeping well.

Is the planning for your next trip going well?
Old 6 Oct 18, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Flights

This was the thing that worried me most while dh was waiting on his holidays being approved. It was just as well I was still on holiday as I pretty much checked them every hour on the hour then emailed dh with updates. I was banned from asking if he had his holidays yet so this was my new approach, reading this I wonder how he puts up with my Disney obsessiveness sometimes…

The choice of flights was slim to say the least. We normally do Edin-LGW-MCO with BA but that route was showing at £5k.

I found Virgin/Delta flights at £3859 but the return was via New York which concerned us a little. They went up in price though. I was getting worried as we had no flexibility on our outward travel date, Christmas Eve or not at all.

I found a reasonable flight with Virgin on Christmas Eve, Edin-Man-MCO and returning MCO-Man-Edin a day later than planned – oh the hardship. Finally, when dh got his holidays I checked again, there was significantly less checking by this point for a few reasons: 1. I was back at school. 2. Dh threatened to never go on another Disney holiday if I kept moaning on about it 15 times a day and 3. I had started to think we would not be going, and it was still available at not too mental a price!

We have not flown with Virgin since 2001, our honeymoon, so it will be a nice change. The internal flight is with Flybe as they now do codeshares. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of info or experiences around about this route so fingers crossed it all goes fine.
Old 6 Oct 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
The Food – or the main event as far as ds is concerned.

Before dh even got his holidays, I researched the busy day guides and created a plan of action for 5 nights at the GF and 5 nights at BC. I even booked some adrs and the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam dessert party.
We looked at what and where we wanted to eat, crunched the numbers and decided that the best plan of was to pay for the dining plan for the first 5 days and pay oop for the last 6. I know, I know, the general opinion is never to pay for it but we felt it would help us budget, stop my mil from trying to pay for everything, allow ds to order what he wants for 5 nights, it now includes alcohol, we get refillable mugs and we (I) get to use lots of snack credits on peppermint bark at Ghirardelli’s.

I asked my MIL where she would like to eat… Not bothered, Teppan Edo might be nice again but could we definitely do dinner and breakfast at Be our Guest, lol, only 2 of the hardest ones to get after 180 days!

We are all really adventurous eaters, ds included as you will have seen if you have read any of my food reports. My Mil has much simpler tastes so I’ve looked at menus based on her likes and dislikes first, most of our favourite places are fine but we’ve avoided anywhere to fishy.

The Touring Plans reservation finder has been really helpful in finding some of the harder ones and I have chopped and changed reservations right, left and centre.

So, where are we going (subject to change…lol)

Mama Melrose – lunch.
We have always enjoyed it here. DH is partial to the steak and I had the Saltimboca last time and it was awesome. It’s Italian so my MIL also has a fair choice and I’m looking forward to trying an actual dessert here rather than the sample platter that normally comes with the Fantasmic Package.
Using DDP.

The Wave – dinner.
This will be a new experience for us. It seems to get consistently good reviews for the food, I know there is a thought that the decoration and atmosphere don’t quite match the food quality but its for Christmas night and I really don’t fancy trying to travel from the Contemporary. I have a Touring Plan alert for California Grill but I want a set time which has not appeared yet and tbh The Christmas Feast at the Wave sounds great. We will be finishing off the night with a hot chocolate on our balcony to watch Holiday Wishes regardless.
Using DDP.

Be our Guest – Breakfast.
Yay for Touring Plans for helping get this. The 3 of us have eaten here a few times for breakfast. It’s always been ok but has always had extra appeal as pre-park adrs have always got us extra rides on 7D, but that’s not going to work this time. I struggle a little with breakfasts as I don’t eat eggs, much to the shock of our server at Denny’s this year! So it will be the meats and cheeses for me. The big decision, in light of this week’s news is to Mimosa or not at breakfast…well it is Christmas after all!
Using DDP.

Candlelight Processional : Dinner at either Trattoria Al Forno or Chefs de France.
This will be right up my Mil’s street and so far, she doesn’t know this even exists. From everything I’ve read the dining package is a must to ensure a seat. Our host will be Jodi Benson, Ariel in the little mermaid. We have eaten at Chefs de France before but Trattoria Al Forno is really appealing. It is 2 dining credits and you get 3 courses. We had planned to do it later in the trip but I’d like to do it as close to Christmas as we can so it looks like we will use DDP for this, maybe not a fantastic use of credits but I can’t squeeze in another single credit meal.
Using DDP
Ds is arguing for Trattoria Al Forno, has anyone been?

Be our Guest Dinner:
Again, this was a Touring Plan find. 7.45pm as well which is absolutely perfect. I got this one before we even finalised our booking. The last time we had dinner here was in 2013 and we found it ok, we actually had 2 reservations that trip and cancelled the second one. I was really keen to get this though as Mil had not specified many adrs apart from this. I think the new menu looks good so looking forward to trying it again. $60 per head (as of this week) so I think we are going to pay oop.
Ds is looking forward to his first taste of snails or so he says.
OOP

Food – to be continued

Edited at 10:18 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Your plans sound great so far. Looking forward to reading more
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I am so excited for you, Disney at Christmas will be such a dream, I am very jealous of all the planning you’re getting to do.

We had a night in a theme park view room at the Contemporary last weekend and it was incredible, you are in for such a treat. I didn’t want to leave the room, I just wanted to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view the entire time we were there. Did you know that the TV has a fireworks channel so you’ll be able to hear the music to Holiday Wishes whilst you watch?! Amazing!

I’m glad you managed to get flights at a price you’re happy with, I can understand why you were reluctant to go via New York. Any other time of year I’d have suggested the EDI-EWR-MCO route but it’s not a risk you can take with a winter trip.

Your Christmas meal at The Wave sounds a great choice, your lucky to have such a great option in your hotel! I think you might regret it if Cali Grill pops up and you switch.

The thing I was most interested to know was if you’d booked the Candlelight Processional and I am thrilled to see you have. I can’t even explain how much I want to do this! Jodi Benson will be a wonderful narrator. I can see why you’re struggling between Chefs and Trattoria al Forno, Chefs is wonderful, and I think would be a great place to show off to MIL (thus I’d probably pick hee) but it’s always nice to try new places.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds amazing, looking forward to following along.
Old 7 Oct 18, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Diz View Post
Your plans sound great so far. Looking forward to reading more
Originally Posted by Jedi Princess View Post
Sounds amazing, looking forward to following along.
Thank you both. I hope I don't witter on too much and send you both to sleep.
Old 7 Oct 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I am so excited for you, Disney at Christmas will be such a dream, I am very jealous of all the planning you’re getting to do.

We had a night in a theme park view room at the Contemporary last weekend and it was incredible, you are in for such a treat. I didn’t want to leave the room, I just wanted to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view the entire time we were there. Did you know that the TV has a fireworks channel so you’ll be able to hear the music to Holiday Wishes whilst you watch?! Amazing!

I’m glad you managed to get flights at a price you’re happy with, I can understand why you were reluctant to go via New York. Any other time of year I’d have suggested the EDI-EWR-MCO route but it’s not a risk you can take with a winter trip.

Your Christmas meal at The Wave sounds a great choice, your lucky to have such a great option in your hotel! I think you might regret it if Cali Grill pops up and you switch.

The thing I was most interested to know was if you’d booked the Candlelight Processional and I am thrilled to see you have. I can’t even explain how much I want to do this! Jodi Benson will be a wonderful narrator. I can see why you’re struggling between Chefs and Trattoria al Forno, Chefs is wonderful, and I think would be a great place to show off to MIL (thus I’d probably pick hee) but it’s always nice to try new places.
Thanks, I do love the planning. It will not be long till you are planning again, wait who am I kidding, if you are like me the planning never actually stops.

Your night in the Contemporary sounds great. I didn't know that about the tv, now I am ever more excited. Fab. What floor were you on?

The flight thing really stressed me out, I'm glad we are going via Manchester although even that agitates me as we haven't done it before and it doesn't feel as seemless as my usual BA flights.

The Candlelight Processional looks great. We looked at doing it later but the narrator was a baseball guy we'd never heard of, Jodi Benson will be cool. We were looking at menus again today and I think we will go with Chefs de France and pay oop for Trattoria Al Forno later in the trip as the pasta dishes are not crazy priced.

I think you are right about sticking with the Wave. I'm sure the food there will be fab and we have the view and music sorted for later.

Did you enjoy your trip and are you doing a food report again? Please do I so enjoyed the last one.
Old 7 Oct 18, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Thanks, I do love the planning. It will not be long till you are planning again, wait who am I kidding, if you are like me the planning never actually stops.

Your night in the Contemporary sounds great. I didn't know that about the tv, now I am ever more excited. Fab. What floor were you on?

The flight thing really stressed me out, I'm glad we are going via Manchester although even that agitates me as we haven't done it before and it doesn't feel as seemless as my usual BA flights.

The Candlelight Processional looks great. We looked at doing it later but the narrator was a baseball guy we'd never heard of, Jodi Benson will be cool. We were looking at menus again today and I think we will go with Chefs de France and pay oop for Trattoria Al Forno later in the trip as the pasta dishes are not crazy priced.

I think you are right about sticking with the Wave. I'm sure the food there will be fab and we have the view and music sorted for later.

Did you enjoy your trip and are you doing a food report again? Please do I so enjoyed the last one.
We had a great trip thank you, we got home yesterday, I am so sad that it's back to work tomorrow. I've started on my food report but I'm not going to post until I've finished, I'm planning to write up a day each day so it doesn't seem too much of a chore I am excited to share with everyone though!

We were on the 9th floor, I think rooms start on the 5th so we were about half-way up the Tower. I think you'll have an awesome view regardless of the floor your on.

This is our view, not very crisp from my phone camera!

We could see the Grand Floridian to the left, and even Everest off in the distance! Pictures don't really do it justice, when you walk into your room you'll be blown away - they leave the curtains open and it's just all there spread out in front of you.

Edited at 12:07 PM.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
PJB71
Imagineer

Mobile

Your plans sound fab 👍🏻

Christmas at Disney imo is extra magical 🎅🏽🎅🏽

This will be our 19th Christmas there.

Yes the parks are busy but is I always say to friends I’d much rather be stood in a line at Disney then stood at the local supermarket checkout at home!

Weather is very unpredictable one day it can be really warm another day or can be really chilly, just pack a little bit of everything from vest top & shorts to a pair of jeans & fleece.

We always stay off site but please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions that you think I might be able to help with.

Really looking forward to hearing more about your plans xxxx
PJB71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List