Notices

Old 8 Oct 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
We had a great trip thank you, we got home yesterday, I am so sad that it's back to work tomorrow. I've started on my food report but I'm not going to post until I've finished, I'm planning to write up a day each day so it doesn't seem too much of a chore I am excited to share with everyone though!

We were on the 9th floor, I think rooms start on the 5th so we were about half-way up the Tower. I think you'll have an awesome view regardless of the floor your on.

This is our view, not very crisp from my phone camera!

We could see the Grand Floridian to the left, and even Everest off in the distance! Pictures don't really do it justice, when you walk into your room you'll be blown away - they leave the curtains open and it's just all there spread out in front of you.
That is a lovely view. I can hardly believe we are getting to stay there never mind at Christmas.

I hope going back to work today was not too painful. Are you suffering from jet lag? I normally have ages to recover before going back to work after the summer trips. This time we are back on the Saturday and back to school on the Wednesday. I don't know if that is better or worse.
Old 8 Oct 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by PJB71 View Post
Your plans sound fab 👍🏻

Christmas at Disney imo is extra magical 🎅🏽🎅🏽

This will be our 19th Christmas there.

Yes the parks are busy but is I always say to friends I’d much rather be stood in a line at Disney then stood at the local supermarket checkout at home!

Weather is very unpredictable one day it can be really warm another day or can be really chilly, just pack a little bit of everything from vest top & shorts to a pair of jeans & fleece.

We always stay off site but please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any questions that you think I might be able to help with.

Really looking forward to hearing more about your plans xxxx
Thanks for posting and sharing your positive experience. Tbh reading all the comments that say I've done it once but never again, were worrying me a little.

Thanks for the packing trips also. I bought a couple of Disney Hoodies, like I need an excuse but also fancying a Disney christmas jumper.

How do you find the shopping over the festive period? We were hoping to do a wee Walmart trip and maybe the Vineland Outlets. Other than that we have no offsite plans this time.

Is there any Christmas Disney stuff you have experienced tht you'd advise not to miss? Do you know when they are likely to announce all the Christmas stuff and alter the hours?
Old 8 Oct 18, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Before I start look at these little beauties Dh and Ds came home with for me earlier.

So even more food plans…

We have a dinner booked at a new dining experience which is a top-secret surprise for someone in our family, so the least said about it the better. Sure youcan guess though.
Using DDP.

Teppan Edo – Lunch.

We love Teppan Edo, always great food and although my Mil is not that adventurous she really liked eating here years ago. This is the day we move from the Contemporary to the Beach Club so we thought a lunch in World Showcase would fit well with our day.
Paying OOP.

Jingle Bell Jingle Bam Dessert Party

I am so excited about this. I love Prep and Landing. We have seen the Star Wars fireworks in HS twice both following on from the dessert party. I thought considering the crowds this might be a nice experience.

Nine Dragons – Dinner.

We originally had this booked as the Candlelight Processional but changed dates and changed to a normal ADR. It seems of late that it has been getting not bad reviews. I thought it might be a good one to share a few main courses and the prices seem ok.
Paying OOP.

Hollywood Brown Derby – Early dinner with fantasmic package.

Ds asked to return here. Last time he absolutely loved this place especially the Duck Two Ways, he still waxes lyrical about it to anyone who will listen. I hope it is as good as he remembers.
Paying OOP.

Be our Guest – Breakfast – again?

Paying $28 per person for breakfast out of pocket is making me question doing this again after our dining plan ends. If Mil loves it then maybe but if not if think this might be for the axe.
Paying OOP

Skippers – Dinner

This was one of the highlight meals of our trip last summer. I never find the dining options great in MK so I didn’t expect to like this as much as I did. The tastes like chicken because it is was delicious. Again, the prices are not crazy for Disney so hoping this is another good choice.
Paying OOP.

Tusker House – Breakfast – Rivers of Light

I know Rivers of Light gets a mixed reception. I admit I was not so keen on it the first time I saw it. I felt there was way too much going and I didn’t really know where to focus. The second time I enjoyed it a lot more. I have no idea if this is going to busy or if the dining package will be necessary or not. Mil is not keen on AK at all but I know she will like Rivers of Light and the Tree of Light stuff. I felt if we booked breakfast we would get an opportunity to show her the Pandora stuff and hopefully experience Flight of Passage as well as the night time stuff. We have always enjoyed Tusker House, although Ds took the huff at it a bit last year when a 3-year-old went crashing into him and made him drop his full plate of food, it wasn’t his fault but he was mortified and embarrassed , so it put a bit of a damper on our last breakfast. These things happen.
Paying OOP

Crystal Palace – Breakfast

I like the characters here but prefer the food at Tusker House. Ds and Dh love the puffed French toast so are excited to return here.
Paying OOP

Trattoria Al Forno – Dinner

As I said the menu here really appeals so if we do Chefs De France for the Candlelight Processional we will eat here on our last night so I can end our last night watching my beloved Illuminations.
Paying OOP

Possibly we might also squeeze in an Ale and Compass Breakfast as it looks good and reasonable, no adr but there seems a fair amount of availability.

Just waiting for all the Christmas special snacks to be announced.
Hoping to try Mobile Ordering for the first time although I’ve not really thought much about counter service options yet.
Any suggestions?

Not sure if I have made too many adrs or too few to deal with the Christmas crowds, any thoughts?

Edited at 11:39 PM.
Rescuer is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
PJB71
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Thanks for posting and sharing your positive experience. Tbh reading all the comments that say I've done it once but never again, were worrying me a little.

Thanks for the packing trips also. I bought a couple of Disney Hoodies, like I need an excuse but also fancying a Disney christmas jumper.

How do you find the shopping over the festive period? We were hoping to do a wee Walmart trip and maybe the Vineland Outlets. Other than that we have no offsite plans this time.

Is there any Christmas Disney stuff you have experienced tht you'd advise not to miss? Do you know when they are likely to announce all the Christmas stuff and alter the hours?
Hi, tbh we would never go at any other time of year now. Because everywhere looks so magical with all the Christmas decorations, Christmas music, little extra touches ie “snow” blowing down Main Street at the end of the evening etc I think we would feel as though there was sometime missing. I’m sorry I’m sure that doesn’t make sense but hopefully you’ll get what I mean once you’ve experienced it for yourself🎅🏽🎅🏽

I have 3 DDS (nearly 22, 19 & 7) so we do a lot of shopping! Haha infact they like to go to bed early on Christmas Day so they can go shopping on “day after Christmas” sales (that’s what they call it). We’ve got to Walmart about 8am on a Boxing Day morning & there’s been nothing left as I think they open about 5am & all Christmas stuff is at least 50% off 👍🏻

Like I said previously, yes the parks are busy but we compare it to what its probably like having to stand in the checkout queue in Sainsburys on a Christmas Eve, and I know which queue we’d rather be stood in. We just take the days at a more relaxed pace and if we only do a few rides that day then too us it’s not the end of the world as it’s not like we won’t be visiting that park again! It just gives you more time to sit & people watch 😉

The weather can be fabulous just like the heatwave was here in the summer or really chilly but it’s really strange as even when it’s chilly it’s usually a really bright blue sky ☀️

The opening times can be changed so it’s worth just picking up a guide as soon as you enter the park but as your staying on Disney property I’m sure you can probably pick one up there.

If your looking for something to do off site then Celebrations is lovely for a couple of hours in the evening as the cover the street with fake snow and have hourly “snowing” whilst playing Christmas songs & all the kids have great fun making snow angels etc.

I hope this helps in some small way & please ask if you have any other questions.

Paula xxxx
PJB71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

That is a lovely view. I can hardly believe we are getting to stay there never mind at Christmas.

I hope going back to work today was not too painful. Are you suffering from jet lag? I normally have ages to recover before going back to work after the summer trips. This time we are back on the Saturday and back to school on the Wednesday. I don't know if that is better or worse.
Suffering quite badly from jet lag I thought I'd cracked it as we arrived home on Saturday and I went to bed at 10 that night and fell asleep. Ever since I've struggled to sleep and then slept far too late. I work shifts and don't have any early starts until the weekend so that has just encouraged the jet lag.

I find it's better to go back to work straight away, I feel as though having a few days to recover just encourages poor sleeping patterns unfortunately.

Your ADRs look great, I'm particularly excited to read about the Dessert Party.

Personally, I don't think you've made too many, with the crowds to worry about I'd be inclined to book more 'just in case'. But you are right in thinking that Mobile Ordering has changed the game when it comes to ordering QS - much less stressful now, so you always have that option open to you.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 18, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Hi, tbh we would never go at any other time of year now. Because everywhere looks so magical with all the Christmas decorations, Christmas music, little extra touches ie “snow” blowing down Main Street at the end of the evening etc I think we would feel as though there was sometime missing. I’m sorry I’m sure that doesn’t make sense but hopefully you’ll get what I mean once you’ve experienced it for yourself🎅🏽🎅🏽

I have 3 DDS (nearly 22, 19 & 7) so we do a lot of shopping! Haha infact they like to go to bed early on Christmas Day so they can go shopping on “day after Christmas” sales (that’s what they call it). We’ve got to Walmart about 8am on a Boxing Day morning & there’s been nothing left as I think they open about 5am & all Christmas stuff is at least 50% off 👍🏻

Like I said previously, yes the parks are busy but we compare it to what its probably like having to stand in the checkout queue in Sainsburys on a Christmas Eve, and I know which queue we’d rather be stood in. We just take the days at a more relaxed pace and if we only do a few rides that day then too us it’s not the end of the world as it’s not like we won’t be visiting that park again! It just gives you more time to sit & people watch 😉

The weather can be fabulous just like the heatwave was here in the summer or really chilly but it’s really strange as even when it’s chilly it’s usually a really bright blue sky ☀️

The opening times can be changed so it’s worth just picking up a guide as soon as you enter the park but as your staying on Disney property I’m sure you can probably pick one up there.

If your looking for something to do off site then Celebrations is lovely for a couple of hours in the evening as the cover the street with fake snow and have hourly “snowing” whilst playing Christmas songs & all the kids have great fun making snow angels etc.

I hope this helps in some small way & please ask if you have any other questions.

Paula xxxx
Hi Paula

Thanks for all your tips and advice. I really can’t wait to experience it all. Not sure I want to totally love it as I know Dh will never get all of Christmas off again for a few years 😂

Since we don’t arrive till Christmas Eve I’m thinking we’ve got a week to cram in as much Christmas stuff as possible before they start taking some of it away. I can’t believe fast pass day will be arriving soon.
Old 11 Oct 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Suffering quite badly from jet lag I thought I'd cracked it as we arrived home on Saturday and I went to bed at 10 that night and fell asleep. Ever since I've struggled to sleep and then slept far too late. I work shifts and don't have any early starts until the weekend so that has just encouraged the jet lag.

I find it's better to go back to work straight away, I feel as though having a few days to recover just encourages poor sleeping patterns unfortunately.

Your ADRs look great, I'm particularly excited to read about the Dessert Party.

Personally, I don't think you've made too many, with the crowds to worry about I'd be inclined to book more 'just in case'. But you are right in thinking that Mobile Ordering has changed the game when it comes to ordering QS - much less stressful now, so you always have that option open to you.
Hi

I hope you are feeling better on the jet lag front.

I think I have a few just in case adrs in case crowds are crazy. I’m hoping the app is working well so mobile ordering will work for us.
Old 11 Oct 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PJB71
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi Paula

Thanks for all your tips and advice. I really can’t wait to experience it all. Not sure I want to totally love it as I know Dh will never get all of Christmas off again for a few years 😂

Since we don’t arrive till Christmas Eve I’m thinking we’ve got a week to cram in as much Christmas stuff as possible before they start taking some of it away. I can’t believe fast pass day will be arriving soon.
No don’t worry they don’t take the Christmas stuff down until about 6th so there out for about a week after NY 👍🏻 Xx
PJB71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
No don’t worry they don’t take the Christmas stuff down until about 6th so there out for about a week after NY 👍🏻 Xx
Thanks Paula
Old 13 Oct 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Plans:

We arrive on Christmas Eve so not much time for anything really. We have engaged the help of Beth from Fairytale Shopper to help us out with our shopping so we will be meeting up with her to have our stuff delivered.

We plan to eat at the Contempo Café and explore the hotel a little.
At the moment Holiday Wishes is scheduled at 10pm so I am hopeful we can watch this from our balcony with the music in our room (thanks Collybird for this information). As much as I love HEA and want my MIL to see this as well Holiday Wishes will be far more magical at a distance.

Our first morning so up at the crack of dawn or before . Big question if MK opens at 7am, like it did last year, do we walk in even just to do the Christmas photos on Main Street?

The main park for today is Hollywood Studios. Doubt we will get any fastpasses for Toy Story land as we are only doing the morning, although according to Touring Plans we should be able to do something there without a crazy wait if we arrive first thing. Don’t know if I believe that…

My plan was to leave after lunch and get the friendship boat to Epcot and wander through to the monorail so we can avoid traffic. However, there are rumours that the Friendship boats are off either until or including Christmas Day due to work on the gondolas. I can’t decide if this is a good plan or absolute madness! I think I might be overthinking this.

Our only other plan is dinner at the Wave. So once we get back to the Contemporary that is us for the rest of the day and night.