Notices

Old 5 Jan 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Turning 30 in the Sunshine State. October 19 UPDATED 13/2/19

Thirty, flirty and thriving as J. Garner would say

So I hear turning 30 is a big deal, I'm a bit nervous if I'm honest. Does this mean my days of building lego and eating nuggets, chips and beans are over? I hope not, because I enjoy both immensely, although rarely at the same time. I hope to also squeeze (haha) another decade out of skinny jeans too, although perhaps it's time to say goodbye to crop tops, truth be hold they should have gone after the emergency c-section almost eight years ago .

Anyway! To lessen the blow of saying farewell to my 20s I decided it would be worth the hassle of nagging my husband to death about going on a Disney cruise, I've mentioned it in the past to him many times but apparently a famous cruise ship (read:ferry) sunk on the day he was born and this has put him off... by that standard I should have a issue with walls, apparently Berlin was pulling one down when I was born. Ladies, I have proof that nagging works because last summer he finally gave in. I talked him into a 3 night cruise on the Disney Dream! Full research mode was engaged and I found out it wouldn't be long until Oct 19 cruises were released.

So here's the Cast!

Myself, age 29 on leaving and turning 30 somewhere near the end. Fully preped with an assortment of lotions and potions for the lines that will appear on my face the moment the clock strikes midnight on October 26th. Self titled Creative Director of my mother's event company and newly qualified driver!

Christopher, age 32. Long suffering project manager. Avid Man U fan and grudging roller coaster rider.

Sophia, age 8. Knows all the lyrics to The Greatest Showman soundtrack and has an extremely long memory. Apparently her shoes in nursery were uncomfortable, but she only let me know a month ago, she's in P3 now...

Previous Trips

We have had the pleasure of visiting WDW 3 times since 2015. Each time making it a little different.

2015 we stayed at AKL, with a quick jaunt over to the Hard Rock Hotel for a night to experience Universal and we had a day at Discovery cove.

2016 10 day trip with the MIL (sympathetic vibes received, thank you!) We stayed at the Staybridge suites and had a night at the Villas at Grand Floridian (wow). This trip we also ventured over to Anna Maria Island to go kayaking.

2017 5 nights at the yacht club, 1 night at RPR then onto Baylake tower for 8 nights.

October 2019

The first component of this trip that could be booked was our stay at Disney, we both agreed from our 17 tip that there was no beating the Yacht club for us, we both love the Boardwalk area and really enjoyed the Stormalong pool (from that one afternoon we actually used it). So I had to sit and twiddle my thumbs while I watched the internet rage over whether Disney was going to be offering free dining again, apparently someone knew someone who's aunt was high up in Disney and they definitely weren't going to, they had Star Wars land to pay for. Yet lo and behold they did (who'd have thought) meaning I spent a good few hours on one Thursday morning furiously trying to book (if anyone remembers the website kept crashing repeatedly). The yacht club was booked! A garden view room this time, what a price increase for the water view that we had last year was extortionate! We had a countdown!

Next up came the universal tickets, fairly easy, we just put a deposit down. I cannot believe how these have increased in price since we started going. But this will be the year Sophia is finally tall enough to go on forbidden journey, so it's not up for discussion. No more solo rides!

July rolled around and I could finally book Royal Pacific Resort for a night with my air miles, poor use I know but as they WERE my mum's, I don't mind so much! 2 further nights need to be booked, I'm saving my Tesco clubcard vouchers and will probably book in August.

We had such a good time at Discovery Cover in 17 (not so much in 15) that I knew that was were I wanted to spend my actual birthday. We had a cabana last time and I know it's quite an expense but they made us feel very special! Our attendant gave me a lot of sympathy when I got stung by a wasp (it's okay, I had my revenge). Non swim this time as I think its a one & done sort of thing. Just give me those cookies!

Flights become available mid November and they were coming out something like £3k! I don't think so mate... I really couldn't even decide which route I wanted to take. Mostly we drive to Edinburgh and catch a BA to Gatwick then straight to Orlando, but in 17 we flew from Inverness to LHR-JFK-MCO and back again, which I have to admit was fine on the way there but horrific on the way back. However, I was flicking though BA's website one morning and found a flight from INV-MCO for £197 and back again for £89! For that price I don't mind the faff so much, so in total (which car hire for 19 days) it came to £1300 for all three of us. That's the lowest I have ever paid and we are going in the school holidays (which we don't normally!) Sorted! Hopefully there'll have a hard top Mustang for us again this year!

(best I could do)

The Cruise! I'm a complete novice here, I've done so much research but I don't think anything can properly prepare you! so I talked Chris into a 3 night cruise around the Bahamas. And this was fully was I was prepared to book, but as it turns out it's a 4 night cruise that leaves on a Monday (so well, hopefully he won't notice?) so obviously I booked that. I knew exactly what side of the boat (Ship! sorry Ship) I wanted and that I'd like the extended verandah. When booking opened up most of these rooms were gone already to castaway members. I did manage to snag one near the back of the ship. There was even a youtube video of that exact room. I've said it before and I'll say it again, god bless youtube. I've made sure we fly 2 days before the cruise leaves, just incase... but that leads to another question, where are we going to stay for two nights before the cruise?

I have never been in Orlando without a detailed plan, so it feels very strange and a bit pleasant to know we have a full day in Orlando without anywhere we have to be. No theme park tickets, so no rope drop to run for, no ADR to make. Which can only mean one thing. I will be one of those people stood outside the character warehouse waiting for it to open, along with all the Ebay pirates. I would never normally do this because I feel like missing rope drop is a cardinal sin and a wasted day on holiday. But obviously I would prefer if no one else felt this way, give me a clear shot at riding expedition Everest 5 times in a row.

It was a lot of fun choosing a hotel to stay in too. Who knew Orlando had so many? The four seasons would have been the natural choice, but I checked the lotto tickets and I still hadn't won... so I took to trip advisor. All I needed it to be was clean and have a pool (and maybe not look too dated). Floridays was the hotel that filled by criteria, it had 63% off suites (yeah right) and we got a two bedroom suite for 2 nights for £240. It actually looks fairly large and has a hatch from the bathtub to the bedroom, I have no idea why, but I'm sure that will become clear and ill be knocking a hole in my own bathroom wall when I get home.

Thank you so much for sticking with me! Further instalments will include but are not limited to: ADR day! Fastpass day! Every days a shopping day and Final payment day: how many different credit cards will they accept?

Edited at 04:15 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

What a great trip you have planned!

I'd really like to hear what you think of the cruise as Dh really fancies it but I'm scared I'll get seasick! I'm rubbish on the water, I mean really rubbish, I can't even stand on a pontoon without feeling rough. I'd really like to try it one day though and a 3/4 day Disney one would be a good test. Cruising is one of those kind of holidays that once you do one it then becomes an addiction. 😂

I'll be following along as you update your plans.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We’re going in October too!

Your trip sounds amazing, what a way to turn 30. After reading this all I want is those discovery cove cookies now 😋
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by nats1211 View Post
We’re going in October too!

Your trip sounds amazing, what a way to turn 30. After reading this all I want is those discovery cove cookies now 😋
Those cookies are just sooo good. It's the first place I ever had a pretzel too, and now I eat them all the time!

October seems like a very popular month! Have you got all your plans sorted yet?
Old 5 Jan 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

It all sounds so exciting.

You will LOVE the cruise, it is worth every penny.

Your flights were a bargain. I really feel for you being so far north, it's hard enough planning from Dundee.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
Those cookies are just sooo good. It's the first place I ever had a pretzel too, and now I eat them all the time!

October seems like a very popular month! Have you got all your plans sorted yet?
We’re having a more low key one this time, just 10 nights and staying at Coronado Springs doing Disney only. We had 4 holidays for mine and my partners 30th last year so cutting back this year 😒

We are all booked up and flights are sorted - we got bargain BA flights just before Xmas £385pp direct! LGW to MCO.

I’m looking forward to reading about your cruise, we’re tempted but not seen a trip report on one before x
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Your plans sound fab... its always good to spend a milestone birthday (or any birthday really! ) somewhere special. Do you mind sharing a bit more info about your flights... i am looking for either Inverness or Aberdeen but haven’t seen anything at the price you’ve got...well done! Was it BA website? I’ve been using skyscanner.

Thanks
Old 5 Jan 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by jools1302 View Post
Your plans sound fab... its always good to spend a milestone birthday (or any birthday really! ) somewhere special. Do you mind sharing a bit more info about your flights... i am looking for either Inverness or Aberdeen but haven’t seen anything at the price you’ve got...well done! Was it BA website? I’ve been using skyscanner.

Thanks
It’s a right old faff and a bit tight, but as well are not in a total hurry to get to Orlando, if it all goes Pete Tong, we have time to set it right.

So we fly to Heathrow on the early morning flight, 7:05am I think. When we get to Heathrow we’ll need to put our skates on as the flight to Philadelphia leaves 2 hours later! Then we have 2.5 hours to get though immigration at Philadelphia and get the connection to Mco. On the way back it’s via Miami, it’s a long day and we have a 6 hour layover at Heathrow on the way back. I found the flights just using BA’s app. I was so gobsmacked at the price I didn’t even check layover times, I just fell out of bed and ran for my credit card.
Old 5 Jan 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
It all sounds so exciting.

You will LOVE the cruise, it is worth every penny.

Your flights were a bargain. I really feel for you being so far north, it's hard enough planning from Dundee.
It’s been made easier since BA put on an extra flight to Inverness everyday, we can get to Orlando in 1 day now, whereas before this year we’d have had to have an overnighter in Heathrow (which we have done) or bus to Gatwick, which doesn’t appeal. I love where we live, but it makes going everywhere a bit of an expedition.
Old 6 Jan 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
It’s a right old faff and a bit tight, but as well are not in a total hurry to get to Orlando, if it all goes Pete Tong, we have time to set it right.

So we fly to Heathrow on the early morning flight, 7:05am I think. When we get to Heathrow we’ll need to put our skates on as the flight to Philadelphia leaves 2 hours later! Then we have 2.5 hours to get though immigration at Philadelphia and get the connection to Mco. On the way back it’s via Miami, it’s a long day and we have a 6 hour layover at Heathrow on the way back. I found the flights just using BA’s app. I was so gobsmacked at the price I didn’t even check layover times, I just fell out of bed and ran for my credit card.
Haha! Ok am going to try the app thank you, hopefully might come up with some great prices for us too... looks like we’ll be there at a similar time, look forward to hearing more of your plans 😀😀