Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Feb 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Just to echo a pp don't be put off if you don't get it. I had interviews with 2 other places before I got this job, it wasn't immediate. But each interview makes the next one easier I think.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
Good luck, I haven’t read through the entire thread but don’t forget all of the transferable skills you’ve acquired not just in your volunteering role but as a stay at home mum and any supporting roles you’ve played in your kids clubs or schools.
Thank you, I will be taking notes from all of this brilliant advice on here when I fill in my application 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 19, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by liz-paul View Post
Just to echo a pp don't be put off if you don't get it. I had interviews with 2 other places before I got this job, it wasn't immediate. But each interview makes the next one easier I think.
Strangely, in the past I have found I am reasonably comfortable when I actually get to the interview but it’s the leading up to it that is the worst for me. I have no idea whether I will even get that far but I will try to keep looking even if this doesn’t work out, I may look at different possibilities such as retail work
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Go for it! You sound like the ideal candidate!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Go for it! You sound like the ideal candidate!
Thank you, I just hope they agree 😀
Old 7 Feb 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Good luck DisneyDaffodil. I know how daunting it is when you have a career break after having children (8 years for me) but don’t talk yourself down. Just because you volunteered and didn’t get paid you still have gained experience in that field. They will be lucky to have you and if they don’t recognise that then it’s their loss.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
So, while I can't say I've been in a similar situation I did want to wish you luck!

I've had many job interviews and have been nervous for all of them. I would suggest you try to focus on all the positive things you have to offer and not on what you perceive as negatives. Of course you know that feeling nervous on some level is natural for everyone in an interview situation. Albeit I realise your feelings are hugely compounded as it's been a long time for you as you've been looking after your family and it is a bit different to the usual nerves people get.

It's a big step deciding to make a change in your life and do things differently. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Good luck DisneyDaffodil. I know how daunting it is when you have a career break after having children (8 years for me) but don’t talk yourself down. Just because you volunteered and didn’t get paid you still have gained experience in that field. They will be lucky to have you and if they don’t recognise that then it’s their loss.
Thank you, today has been stressful, filling in the application form. I have taken all afternoon and it’s given me a headache 😀 . Not good as the actual job would involve filling in a lot of forms for clients 😂

The job description, however, contains a great deal of what I already do in my voluntary role but then follows cases through further than I do at present. So, I should be reasonably capable of doing this with some guidance and training.
Old 7 Feb 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
So, while I can't say I've been in a similar situation I did want to wish you luck!

I've had many job interviews and have been nervous for all of them. I would suggest you try to focus on all the positive things you have to offer and not on what you perceive as negatives. Of course you know that feeling nervous on some level is natural for everyone in an interview situation. Albeit I realise your feelings are hugely compounded as it's been a long time for you as you've been looking after your family and it is a bit different to the usual nerves people get.

It's a big step deciding to make a change in your life and do things differently. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!
Thank you, the nerves are definitely worse as it’s been so long since I have been in the work market. I think a lot of my worries are whether I am capable of coping with being trained and learning what is needed to take on the paid role (although the volunteer role had loads of online and in-house training) but if I do find that it’s too much, then I could leave but at least I would have tried.

I have found it really stressful the past few days but part of me feels that if I don’t try now it will be too late.
Old 7 Feb 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsNobby
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Just to say I have been a mum and out of paid employment for 18 years also.

I started applying for clerical/receptionist/switchboard operator type jobs in my local hospital 2 weeks ago and have got 1 interview lined up already.

You can do this, you have been volunteering so have experience all you need is a little bit of confidence and you will get it.

Let us know how you get on. Good Luck.
MrsNobby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List