Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Feb 19, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Cat owners - when to go to the vet

Hi fellow cat owners.

When we came in tonight Our 18mth old cat is limping. She was fine this morning and hasn’t been out today. We are not sure if she has hurt herself while playing with her sister.

She Limps when walking and wasn’t able to get comfy when trying to sleep although she is settled now.

She still jumps off the bed etc. She let us touch the limb so I’m not sure if it’s some issue with her paw pads.

Should we leave her to see how she gets on tonight then take her to the vet tomorrow night if no improvement? I don’t want to stress her with the vet if she just needs to rest.

How would you know if a cat was in pain? Is there any signs of pain? Thanks for any advice.

Fluff
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

One of our cats had a limp last summer. I took him to the vets the same day. No sign of a break etc but the vet gave us painkillers for him as he thought he'd sprained it by landing funny.

Could there be anything in her paw?
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Cats don't usually show pain. When mine start limping I check for obvious injuries and swelling and if none see how they are the next day.
If all fine great if not off to the vet.
Old 19 Feb 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
KC2014
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Will she let you check her paw pads? If nothing obvious I would keep her in overnight and if still limping tomorrow get her checked out.
KC2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

We usually leave a limp for 24 hours. Each time it has self-resolved so we haven't had to stress her by putting her in the cat basket and taking her to the vet (which she absolutely hates!)
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks guys. She seemed ok with us touching the actual limp so I think it may be the pads. She has settled down for a nap so I will wait until she wakes then have another look at the pads with a magnifying glass/torch. There seems nothing obvious though.

The two cats are bad for chasing each other around and jumping off the landing to the stairs. I’m not sure if she has maybe landed funny.

Going to head to pets at home to get her some nice fishy food. Poor wee thing. Thanks, fluff
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Bless her,my cat dislocated her hip a few weeks ago and the only sign was a limp,she still ate/slept showed no sign of pain,but the limp was very pronounced obviously so we took her straight to the vet.In general though I would agree,24 hours of monitoring her and then reassess.Hope she is fine asap
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
redfox5
slightly serious Dibber

redfox5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My cat always limps when the weather changes drastically, normally from warm to very cold. Think it's a touch of arthritis. I normally just take him to the vets and they prescribe Loxicom. That always sorts him out
Old 21 Feb 19, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

A few years ago our cat had a limp and was crying a fait bit, he hardly meows normally. My OH took him to the vets and he had broken his pelvis in 3 places Apparently it's not a big issue with cats, he recovered very well, we just had to limit his movements around the house, bought him a large cloth cage (he then proved that he was a cat Houdini and learnt how to undo the zips )
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Years ago Eric started limping badly all of a sudden. I checked his paws for cuts, torn claws or something stuck (thorn, bee sting etc).

In the end he was diagnosed with a dislocated kneecap (who ever thinks about cats’ kneecaps !). Surgery fixed it and it’s lasted 15 years so far.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List