Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Feb 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy3
Excited about Disney

For those of you with kids doing GCSEs this year...

How is the revision going?
Half term here this week, and my daughter seems to have done virtually no revision at all. Although it’s hard to tell as we haven’t seen her since yesterday morning when she went to a friend’s house to do some Spanish (supposedly!)
I’ve had various texts from her telling me she’s booked her prom makeup, and what jeans she’d like me to buy her! So I am getting the impression her mind isn’t exactly fixed on the upcoming exams.
Should we be putting the pressure on now, or is it too soon?
Other parents in this position please advise!
Goofy3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi

My daughter has so far done one piece of homework all half term and not started any revision yet

Today we have been prom shopping

What I have done with her though is sort out all her books, revision guides and flash cards so that she is organised and ready to start her revision soon

I would like her to start revising sooner rather than later, when my son did his Gsces he started revising at Easter!

Good luck
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Lol 😂 your two daughters sound the same as mine, I could’ve written the same posts myself! Seems like proms are top of the agenda at the moment.

My dd has made a revision timetable but not done much revision.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

yep Easter sounds about right from memory here too (DD is doing her a-levels this year). In fact, I think it was Easter holidays, not before, when school offered extra revision sessions in the holidays if the kids wanted them. I think extra support (ie classes right after school in core subjects) started earlier, possibly by around this time of the year in GCSE year at my DD's school.

If my DD is completely honest with herself, she did very little revision using her own initiative and on her own time, until about a week before the exams started (she did go to the support lessons though).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

This has been a sore point for us too. Our son kept claiming to have been doing it all at school... and was told only
30mons revision a night...
We attended a school evening for revision, safe to say it has all now changed! He has faced facts that he needs to do more!
I sorted the spare room into a study, together we put together a study plan. This half term he has stepped it up a gear with a few hours morning and a few evening, probably still not as much as needed
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Michyloulou
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Our son has his GCSE’s this year as well. His school have offered revision sessions in Maths and Science since last September (he goes for an hour before and after school Tues - Thurs each week, and has been going religiously). He did well in all subjects in his latest ‘mocks’, and at parents evening recently was told he’s on track on get passes at 5 and above for most subjects (as long as he doesn’t take his foot off the gas). Therefore I don’t push revision at home as he’s doing so much extra each week anyway. This week being half term, there was the opportunity to attend Tues, Wed & Thurs from 9-12. My son (rightly) wanted a break, but did decide to go in this morning for Maths revision. That said, when I’ve gone to put his pile of clean washing in his room, I’ve often seen him with revision notes out, so I’m satisfied that he’s also doing some revision at home.
Michyloulou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughter has said she is worried about burn out and that’s why she hasn’t started yet
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
hilz22
Imagineer

My son is doing GCSE’s this year. His mocks were a wakeup call for hime i think. He didn’t bomb but he got 3/4 and one 5. However he needs 6’s for what he wants to study. He is now revsing at least 2 hours a night and done 2/3 hours a day this half term. We have stopped him revising in his bedroom as i think that is too much distraction. Time will only tell if its working when he as his 2nd round of mocks in March.

'Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do' -just saying
hilz22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Half term is next week here. They have asked me to help with revision.

Main problem seems to be that all time is taken up with Art coursework.
Old 20 Feb 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
windsor_hills
Imagineer

DD has done zero revision, but we agreed this would be a recharge batteries week. She had mocks in November, and has them again starting next week. She had her gcse food practical just before half term, along with a sixth form interview and college taster day. She’s been attending revision sessions two nights a week after school and having extra maths tuition, so I’m ok with a break this week.

She’s drawn up a revision timetable and knows we will be firmer / tougher with her from next week, as this is something we have discussed and agreed.

She won’t be the only one who will be glad when all this is over.
windsor_hills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List