Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 May 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Can I ask if you all have a cc such as Halifax clarity in these instances? Mine is a standard cc and so I don't charge anything to it, it's just with me for an emergency. Tend to take a revolut card which I then use to clear room charges every few days
Yes ... our Clarity card is basically our holiday card , use it for everything travel related, even booking flights and pay it off the same month.
I never take more physical cash than my insurance covers anyway which is only a few hundred ... I used to work on repatriation flights for insurance companies so do understand the "it'll never happen to me" mindset but know only too well it can and does.

Edited at 08:46 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nells77 View Post
I’m planning on taking $200 plus credit card on QSDP.
Can I ask at what point you have to pay off your magic bands? Is it a certain amount? And how much does everyone tip for their room cleaning? Staying at CBR if that makes any difference?

Thanks
I believe housekeeping is an untipped position so not expected, but several people on here stick to the dollar per person per day plan. We previously left a more substantial tip at end of hols but when realised you don't always get same cleaner each day changed to the above
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Yes ... our Clarity card is basically our holiday card , use it for everything travel related, even booking flights and pay it off the same month.
Have just got myself a virgin rewards plus credit card to start clocking up some air miles in anticipation of next trip (and planning on paying off our 2 hols this year with it to get my extra bonus miles 😄 ) but am tempted to apply for one of these for the zero fee, MasterCard exchange rate. Barclaycard not offering me much of an incentive to stay with them tbh!
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

My brother in law lives in the states and always pays tips with cash as he says he can ensure it goes to the right person. We always just use CC as it's easier and most seem to do that.

One word of warning, do use a CC rather than a debit card as they do walk off with it (I nearly went mad the first time that happened). I have mistakenly used a debit card in a restaurant in Vegas and a month later my bank account got rinsed, it may have been a co-incidence but it was definitely someone using a cloned card. I now never use my debit card abroad unless I need more cash. If your credit card gets done then at least you aren't out of pocket as it isn't really your money
Old 19 May 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RobandLynsey View Post
My brother in law lives in the states and always pays tips with cash as he says he can ensure it goes to the right person. We always just use CC as it's easier and most seem to do that.

One word of warning, do use a CC rather than a debit card as they do walk off with it (I nearly went mad the first time that happened). I have mistakenly used a debit card in a restaurant in Vegas and a month later my bank account got rinsed, it may have been a co-incidence but it was definitely someone using a cloned card. I now never use my debit card abroad unless I need more cash. If your credit card gets done then at least you aren't out of pocket as it isn't really your money
Never let them walk off with your card. Just accompany them to the till.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Never let them walk off with your card. Just accompany them to the till.
Yes I know I should, but it seems to be totally accepted in the US for them to just walk off with it.
Old 19 May 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

What about parking etc?

Is there anything especially offsite that you can think of that would need cash?
Does everything in Disney accept credit card like for churros or mickey ice cream ? Don’t wanna carry money and I’m offsite so no paying on magic bands
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
What about parking etc?

Is there anything especially offsite that you can think of that would need cash?
Does everything in Disney accept credit card like for churros or mickey ice cream ? Don’t wanna carry money and I’m offsite so no paying on magic bands
Not sure some of the carts may not take CCs. I'm sure in 2017 there were some that were cash only (this may have changed) but last year we used magic bands which are everywhere. It's always best to have some cash on you, we usually take around $200 just for odd bits of use.
Old 19 May 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
What about parking etc?

I would assume there would be nowhere within the parks where they wouldn’t take cards especially where they want to encourage people to use their magic bands to pay for things and you can pay for parking with a credit card.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by RobandLynsey View Post
Yes I know I should, but it seems to be totally accepted in the US for them to just walk off with it.
It’s also not always possible to accompany them to the till, especially in fancier places where the till is not on the restaurant floor, it’s back in the staff area. I’ve eaten in a lot of restaurants in the US, probably over 100, and I’ve never seen anyone follow the waiter to the card machine. I use a credit card never a debit so I don’t worry about it. I’ve only ever had my card compromised once (at home) and it was sorted with a quick phone call.

I’m sort of curious now what they’d say if you asked to go to the card machine. I suppose it would be okay in the chain type places where the till is visible on the floor, you could just follow them over but for insurance purposes I doubt a customer would be allowed back to the staff area at the restaurants where there’s no till on the floor. And I assume you couldn’t touch their card machine to look for any skimming devices that might be on it.

Has anyone here asked to see their card being swiped, were you able to examine the card reader or just watch to make sure the waiter didn’t take down the number? How did they react when you asked? What do you do when they swipe your card under the desk when checking into hotels? I’ve not seen a card reader visible on top of the desk in hotels either, it’s always in on their side under the desk where they could have a skimmer or a camera recording the number. Same at the car rental places, they skim your card in the exit booth or on their side of the desk.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List