Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Jan 17, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Cheers and Beers in Boston - November 2016 Day 2 (Dublin to Boston)

Cheers and Beers in Boston

CAST LIST

Me (Shaun): looking forward to the beers!
Alison: looking forward to the Cheers!

Link to trip report index: Here

Friday 25th November 2016

We had a good night’s sleep (no doubt assisted by the cocktails!) and were up at 5am to shower and pack our few bits and pieces. We made sure we were down at reception a while before the scheduled departure of the 5.45am bus after last time’s debacle. (If you don’t remember from a previous trip report of ours, the bus left early leaving us having to get a taxi!)

At the airport, we headed straight through security (we’d checked in online and had boarding passes on our phones) and then straight up to the lounge. It’s not a huge lounge but it’s a pleasant enough place to wait – we grabbed a couple of coffees and some snacks to keep us going.

Around 45 minutes before the flight we made a move to the gate area and there were huge numbers of people around which seemed to be mainly people travelling on business and not many tourist travellers this time in the morning.

We had a mini breakfast of champagne and nuts on board to set us up for the day, I really didn’t want to but Alison made me do it!

We had quite a laugh with the cabin crew who were quite funny and called us by our names which was a nice touch! (Alison: they had a strategically placed ipad on the drinks trolley!)

We arrived at Heathrow and we made our way landside (which is the quickest way when connecting from Dublin we’ve found), before heading to the visa check area. As we were going to the US we had to have a visa/Esta check before going through security – quick and easy to do at a nearby desk – or so we thought. But everyone’s boarding cards were being rejected – one guy next to us had been back to the desks 3 times! We went back a second time and got new boarding passes printed, then I went through the usual security while Alison tried the premium security. And I won! Haha!

Anyway, mini-drama over – we headed to the first lounge for breakfast, with a suitably healthy option of porridge and toast for Alison and a magnificent full English for me washed down with a lovely cup of Earl Grey tea, my ideal start to the day.

We then had a couple of cold drinks while we recharged devices and relaxed.

Unusually for us we were due to depart from terminal 5 B gates, we’ve not been from here for a while but at least it’s another part of Heathrow to view for a change.

We boarded without fuss and made our way to the upper deck on the 747, marvellous! Apart from really liking it up here in the back of my mind is that these 747’s have a limited flying time left. The flight crew were very attentive and kept the drinks flowing.

We had a good view out of the window

We started with several glasses of champagne before take off then moved on to gin and bitter lemon for Alison and gin and tonic for me.

Then food orders were taken, with Alison having smoked salmon to start followed by stir fry and then cheese. I had cheese mousse, followed by beef and the dessert.

Along with more drinks of course! We both had coffee, with cointreau for me and Baileys for Alison.

Following all that we both slept well!

Not long before landing we had the afternoon tea offering which was quite nice.

Well, that flight went really quick (due to the over indulgence of alcohol no doubt!) and we landed at 1.20 and after grabbing our hand luggage we were up and heading excitedly to immigration, at last we can try our Global Entry (see pre-trip report for in depth information).

The standard queue for immigration was pretty much as you’d expect (busy!) but slightly to the right hand side was a poster pointing to the Global Entry area. In total there were probably about a handful of us peeling off down this lane and then we were faced with the automated GE machines. Passports scanned, quick on-screen multiple choice done and photograph taken and then receipt produced.

After this (took about 1 minute max), you showed your receipt to the security guard and then headed to a fastrack customs desk where we were waved through.

Once through arrivals we visited the restrooms then took the obligatory photos

Then walked outside to get on the shuttle coach to take us to T-line station conveniently called Airport! It was only a couple of minutes away and on arrival we stared at the ticket machine for a while and fumbled around for change and we noticed someone was approaching. Not wanting to hold up any locals we stood aside but he actually was coming over to help us out. What a nice man and a really good start to the trip, so now we are armed with tickets to Bowdoin on the blue line. As we waited for the train I did notice that the other end of the line was called Wonderland, hmm…really?

The subway was really clean and easy and in no time at all we were leaving the station at Bowdoin and on street level. We knew roughly which way to go and I’d looked on google street map but nothing was looking immediately familiar. A quick check on the HERE offline map app and we were on track, I knew it was under 5 minutes away to The Boxer Hotel although there was not much to see in the direct neighbourhood apart from some government buildings.

We’d chosen The Boxer Hotel primarily for its central location to all the things we wanted to see and do, set between North End and Beacon Hill and close to the subway. I also liked the 1904 flatiron shape, similar to that of the New York building and the industrial / boutique styling of the hotel impressed me too.

We found it quite easily in the end and we were checked in by 2.10pm! Amazing – landing at 1.20 and checked in 50 minutes later!

The room was really good as they’d made the most of relatively small space, cleverly fitted units here and there. Usual mod-cons including coffee maker (as per Universal Hotels), fluffy robes and slippers and a MASSIVE array of essential items (at a price). These included, wine, gin, scotch, tequila, vodka, assorted nuts and snacks and obviously a bar of Toblerone! Oh, not forgetting cocktail shaker and ice bucket, I think they’ve thought of everything.

We had a quick freshen up and went out to get our bearings (getting a bit caught up in the crowds going towards the Celtics game!) and take a first look around the city although it was getting close to dusk and a little damp outside. We settled on Peet’s coffee in Salem Street, looked over our maps, used their Wi-Fi and took in the atmosphere. Yes – NOT STARBUCKS!

It was quite dull and overcast

After lingering for a while it started to get quite dark but we walked down to Christopher Columbus Waterfront Park which was nicely lit up as was most of the areas as it was getting close to Christmas.

Lovely! We strolled around the marina area and looked out over the harbour area all lit up at night, very atmospheric.

We headed back into town and took in some sites

Faneuil Hall marketplace and mingled with the crowds stopping to do some brief window-shopping along the way. The whole place was very festive with fairy lights in the trees and a huge Christmas tree all lit up at the end.

It was getting a bit late by now so we just headed back to hotel via Ana’s Taqueria for burritos and soda for a light dinner.

We were shattered now so headed back to the hotel and collapsed into bed at about 9pm.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 01:26 AM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 17, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Great day we loved having a wander around Faneuil Market and some of the food looked yummy
Old 10 May 17, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A nice and easy travel day, any day that starts with Champagne and mixed nuts is going to be good

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
good travel day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List