Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Jan 17, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Cheers and Beers in Boston - November 2016 Day 3 (Tea Party ships, Trolley tour and Cheers Bar)

Cheers and Beers in Boston

CAST LIST

Me (Shaun): looking forward to the beers!
Alison: looking forward to the Cheers!

Link to trip report index: Here

Saturday 26th November 2016

As tradition and jet lag dictates we were up at stupid o’clock (4am) although I feel quite refreshed after what I considered to be a good night’s sleep. After showing and getting dressed it’s always that odd time in the morning, somehow, somewhere there must be a breakfast place open at this hour, it’s America after all.

We used the free Wi-Fi and checked out likely places, I always prefer mom and pop places to chain restaurants. From the web page, there it was in all its glory – the South Street Diner! open 24 hours a day to boot.

It was about a 25 minute walk way, easy peasy for us long distance walkers and folks hungry for an early morning breakfast. There was a bit of a fresh chill in the air as we walked along but didn’t pass many other open shops or anyone else out on the streets. Thanks to the offline HERE app it was a real doddle.

When you think of the word Diner, this is exactly what your mind conjures up! It was originally built in 1947 and now has some minor modifications. Food wise it’s exactly as you’d expect, no fine dining options here, hot, fresh and plenty of it!

We ate eggs, sausage, home fries, toast and coffee (me), pancakes, bacon and coffee (Alison) for a grand total of $30.

Suitably filled up for the day after the food mountain we set off along the Rose Kennedy Greenway walk, it kind of links a number of green open spaces and gardens taking in some sights along the way.

It sure breaks up just trudging along stark pavements past anonymous buildings and eventually after a long walk (our choice as we wandered a lot) we were back at Faneuil Hall. We seemed to gravitate towards here all the time – it’s a really central point. (Alison: and it has restrooms for those members of the party with the bladders the size of a pea – ahem, Shaun! )

We had a quick restroom break and grabbed a couple of coffees in Starbucks. For some unknown reason two ladies were constantly shuffling stools around, trying to find the ones they wanted. When they had one of them decided to site tight behind Alison despite there being so many empty spaces! No idea what that was about unless we’d taken their favourite seat or table.

Alison was sad to find there was no toffee nut latte, but there was caramel brûlée latte, and chestnut praline latte, which were both delicious!

We decided to walk over to the New England Aquarium and bought tickets for the Old Town Trolley to do a tour around town. It included some attractions and also a second day free which would be useful for us. It was relatively early in the day and there weren’t many takers for the trip at this point (just a couple of others other than us).

Our driver was very funny and kept us engaged as we drove around the city as he pointed out the places of interest and we kept an eye on the various hop on - hop off stops should we need them later. As we were on the full loop tour we decided to get off at the Boston Tea Party ships and museum which appeared to be quite popular and the entry was free with the tram tickets.

We were greeted by enthusiastic actors who were well into their immersive theatre roles and taken to a mock meeting where a re-enactment of speeches were made which positioned the reasoning behind the events leading up to the Boston tea party. Additionally, we were each handed cards of named individuals from the time and left with us to investigate later whether they were pro or anti British. Our guide, in character, asked us if were monarchists or East India company people and we went along with it.

A tour and explanation of the replica tea boats was followed by throwing mock-ups of tea boxes in to the river, quite satisfying in its own way. A good interactive video piece and museum followed which gave a greater insight into events and busted a few myths about a number of things. As usual, it was exit through the gift shop which had a huge array of tea and tea paraphernalia if that’s your type of thing. Not for the likes of Alison as we just strode across the bridge and into Starbucks!

We ordered our drinks and Alison had an in depth discussion about the term “Skinny” with the barista, before settling down to enjoy our coffees and plan our next steps. We doubled back and picked up the trolley which drove around a few more sights including Fenway Park, Cheers Bar and amongst other places, so at least we had our bearings.

We were getting a bit peckish by now so we walked over to Panera Bread for a lunch. I ordered chicken noodle soup and a roll and Alison had a turkey and cranberry flatbread, which were both lovely. It took us right back to our times on Florida enjoying this chain.

Suitably refreshed we decided to get the train to Harvard University - I had previously printed off a self-guided walking tour of the place although bookable tours were available. The buildings and campus were interesting and we both rubbed John Harvard’s foot for luck. Probably the closest either of us are going to get to going to University! The town of Harvard wasn’t exactly as picturesque as I’d thought it would be but fine all the same.

We were going to look around Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus but apart from one or two buildings with unique architecture we didn’t feel it was worth the visit. We hopped back on the trolley and went back to The Cheers Bar. But only Alison knew my name!

It was quite touristy as you’d expect and we had the obligatory pint in the bar and looked round the memorabilia. This brought back a lot of memories for us as Cheers, Rosanne and the Golden Girls were prescribed viewing for us back the day, typical Friday night fare.

The beer was decent enough and after another restroom break we took the trolley back to the Aquarium and then walked back to the hotel.

We freshened up a bit and went down to the hotel bar where I noticed they had a beer flight on offer, and it seemed rude not to indulge. There should have been 4 to sample but one was off so I had Clown Shoes IPA, regular Sam Adams and CISCO Pumpkin. The Sam Adams was already a known quantity, the CISCO Pumpkin didn’t do it for me but the Clown Shoes from Ipswich, Massachusetts hit the mark – Lovely jubbly! Alison just had a gin and tonic.

We were feeling a bit peckish by now so after a quick discussion we decided on the Hard Rock Cafe, and pre-booked a table online before going as we guessed many places would be busy as it was the weekend.. Luckily it was close to Faneuil Hall so not that far to walk.

The theming was exactly as you’d expect for a Hard Rock place, lots of memorabilia around and the food and service was pretty good. We were really glad we booked as a number of people had a significant wait for a table to become free.

We had fajitas (Alison) and cheese and bacon burger (me) with a beer and diet coke – all very tasty.

Afterwards we had a short walk back to the hotel before crashing out for the night.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 10:56 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Fab day
Must admit we were disappointed with The Hard Rock Cafe the service wasn't good.
We did the whole of The Freedom Trail it was very enjoyable
Old 10 May 17, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A great day exploring, I like the sound of the Boston tea party museum. Lot's of yummy looking food too

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
you fitted lots in
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List