Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 1 Sep 17, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Hoping you're all well and enjoying your summer. I will maintain summer is still here until I have had my summer holiday.

I was absent last week as we were away for the weekend, please excuse me! We went to London, the weather was forecast to be HOT, but this is Britain, surely it couldn't be hot!? So I packed for Scottish summer weather. Big mistake! I had to buy clothes there and I am burnt!

I concur with you on today being a wasted day, Arlington would have been fascinating. It is so frustrating when short trips have plans ruined by weather. The 5th theme park would probably have been my go to!

The area around Dupont Circle Station looks lovely, reminds me of New York. A real shame Books for America has closed, I'm hoping by now they've found a new location. I don't know how Poot would have whittled his book selection down to only 10! Once I had to buy a new suitcase just to bring books home in haha, after that I bought a Kindle.

I snorted at Poot's belief you should drink water, I have soda running through my veins. Poot's pictures from the zoo are fab. Can you ask him about Conneticut's disasters please? I am intrigued.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 17, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Hmm, perhaps it was more of a relaxed day.

On the plus side, Poot got to make a choice about where you went which is nice. I always leave a free day towards the end of our hols for the kids to choose what to do. They (nearly) always choose to return to a water park as they love swimming so much. This year DS wanted to go back to Aquatica...but as we were there the day before and we all got a bit burnt I persuaded him to swap it to a couple of hours in the hotel pool followed by a late breakfast at IHOP .

You'll have to get Poot to explain his tornado swim to us. Although, I think I've got a fair idea what it involves... it was probably good no one else was in your hotel pool.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Hoping you're all well and enjoying your summer. I will maintain summer is still here until I have had my summer holiday.

I was absent last week as we were away for the weekend, please excuse me! We went to London, the weather was forecast to be HOT, but this is Britain, surely it couldn't be hot!? So I packed for Scottish summer weather. Big mistake! I had to buy clothes there and I am burnt!

I concur with you on today being a wasted day, Arlington would have been fascinating. It is so frustrating when short trips have plans ruined by weather. The 5th theme park would probably have been my go to!

The area around Dupont Circle Station looks lovely, reminds me of New York. A real shame Books for America has closed, I'm hoping by now they've found a new location. I don't know how Poot would have whittled his book selection down to only 10! Once I had to buy a new suitcase just to bring books home in haha, after that I bought a Kindle.

I snorted at Poot's belief you should drink water, I have soda running through my veins. Poot's pictures from the zoo are fab. Can you ask him about Conneticut's disasters please? I am intrigued.
You are excused! You know I can't type on my tablet - so until I was back in Europe and reunited with my laptop this week, no Dibbing.

Sunburnt in London? That's just wrong.

We're here in France - and this time of year it's supposed to be like 90 degrees and BAKING. But this...

...was the view from my kitchen window yesterday. It CHUCKED down rain - and I had to wear socks to bed.

I hate feeling like we wasted time on holiday - it's very difficult for me not to tally up the per night cost of the hotel..."Was it worth $200 to walk around Dupont Circle, look at frogs and watch the Weather Channel?"

Well, it probably was to Poot. So there's that at least.

Poot's review:

The disasters in this book were interesting - Benedict Arnold was responsible for one of them (the burning of New London). I also liked reading about the famous blizzard of 1888 and the hurricane in 1938 (they didn't used to name hurricanes back then). But the writing in the book was not the most exciting. I'm just starting to read books for adults and sometimes they're a little bit boring. You should definitely read "Island on Fire", though - if you like reading about disasters. That's about the eruption of Laki that many historians think helped to cause the French revolution.

I don't like reading books on the Kindle. I much prefer real books. That's why we have to get porters at the airport, HAHA.

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Hmm, perhaps it was more of a relaxed day.

On the plus side, Poot got to make a choice about where you went which is nice. I always leave a free day towards the end of our hols for the kids to choose what to do. They (nearly) always choose to return to a water park as they love swimming so much. This year DS wanted to go back to Aquatica...but as we were there the day before and we all got a bit burnt I persuaded him to swap it to a couple of hours in the hotel pool followed by a late breakfast at IHOP .

You'll have to get Poot to explain his tornado swim to us. Although, I think I've got a fair idea what it involves... it was probably good no one else was in your hotel pool.
It was DEFINITELY good no one else was in the pool. The "tornado" involves spinning around in a circle - fast - with one's arms outstretched. Don't look for it at the Olympics any time soon.

It's funny, though - Poot thought this day was a great one. Probably because he wasn't paying the hotel bill...but even so, it's good to remember that kids value different things.

And I'm not sure Aquatica and IHOP make for a fair swap, Abby.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

That is a gorgeous view April, despite the grey!

I'd swap a water park for IHOP any day of the week. There is no swimsuit in my suitcase and the closest I'll get to a pool is mini golf at Winter Summerland.

The tornado sounds very similar to something my brother used to perform in the bathtub which we named 'the whale', my mum loved that!

Please thank Poot for the review of Connecticut disasters, I am going to look up all the ones he mentioned. I will also out for 'Island on Fire'.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
That is a gorgeous view April, despite the grey!

I'd swap a water park for IHOP any day of the week. There is no swimsuit in my suitcase and the closest I'll get to a pool is mini golf at Winter Summerland.

The tornado sounds very similar to something my brother used to perform in the bathtub which we named 'the whale', my mum loved that!

Please thank Poot for the review of Connecticut disasters, I am going to look up all the ones he mentioned. I will also out for 'Island on Fire'.

It's become a better view over the last few years - before our neighbour's trees grew tall we had a view of the town dump. True!

All the biggish windows in the house face the street (i.e. my neighbour's wall) - it's only small ones that face the valley. Only the French!

But I can't believe you don't swim! If I could have anything, it would be a pool. I never feel quite as peaceful as I do in the water. Plus, it suits my solitary nature. Waterparks I can frankly take or leave...but does not even the quiet pool appeal to you?

And teehee..."The Whale". Your mother suffered in the bathroom as WELL as the kitchen.

Poot is excited to think that you might read his recommendations. You're a lovely lady, Colette.
Old 8 Dec 17, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

I think this was a lovely day, but then, I do like a good zoo and the Smithsonian is brilliant. I loved the landscaping and the trails around the different animals - though perhaps this was of not use to you and the weather was ghastly and you needed to stay indoors.

Such a nightmare when weather isn't what you expect and your plans are ruined. The BF's mum lived in Scotland and whenever we go I pack for winter regardless of the time of year after packing for summer one year (there was a heatwave in London) and being greeted with rain and gale force winds up there.

I hope the book charity find a new premises, it's such a great idea.

We had a couple of 'nothing' days on our Florida trip, and I wouldn't classify this as a nothing day. Seriously though, zoo + books + macaroni cheese? That is a GOOD day

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip.

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
I think this was a lovely day, but then, I do like a good zoo and the Smithsonian is brilliant. I loved the landscaping and the trails around the different animals - though perhaps this was of not use to you and the weather was ghastly and you needed to stay indoors.

Such a nightmare when weather isn't what you expect and your plans are ruined. The BF's mum lived in Scotland and whenever we go I pack for winter regardless of the time of year after packing for summer one year (there was a heatwave in London) and being greeted with rain and gale force winds up there.

I hope the book charity find a new premises, it's such a great idea.

We had a couple of 'nothing' days on our Florida trip, and I wouldn't classify this as a nothing day. Seriously though, zoo + books + macaroni cheese? That is a GOOD day

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip.

My best girlfriend and I had a holiday in Scotland back in the '90s. In July. On Skye we had to visit a woollens shop to buy GLOVES.

Again - in JULY.

Bonkers.

Of course, had I been married back then I wouldn't have needed to buy gloves (or a hat...or a balaclava) - as R.C. carries all those things YEAR ROUND in the bulging pockets of his windbreaker.

Can you tell he was a Scout?

...and it's not that I don't AGREE with you about zoo+books+mac 'n' cheese (because I do!)...it's that I feel a bit guilty about 1) spending $200 on a hotel in order to do/visit/eat those things - and 2) making people read about them.

I am three days (I think) into your Florida trippie - and it's great!

Edited at 09:32 PM.