Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Aug 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Union Station looks lovely. I don't understand how a country as young as America can have such beautiful transport buildings but, on the whole, train stations over here are miserable places.

I didn't know about the population issues in Detroit, or Baltimore - I am going to read up some now. And, what an awful experience. Thank goodness Poot is/was sharp enough to understand that he was to keep quiet and to follow your instructions. A sad situation all round. Why can't people take each other as they find them!? 'Crazy Lady' thought you were the enemy, but she was the hostile one. Like I say, just sad. I almost wanted to cry over the innocence of Poot's recollection of events, and for that poor cop.

RE: Trip Reports. I also quit reading the 'adult hug' one and I never give up. I thought maybe it was just me, I am a bit of a prude.
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It seems you made a new friend with the yoghurt lady.

Union Station looks beautiful.

Given the foreshadowing from the previous instalment, the photos of abandoned houses and the fact that my entire knowledge of Baltimore is from the TV show The Wire (although I think Hairspray was set in Baltimore, but I'm not certain about that) I'm starting to get worried for you. Dare I read on?

I imagine it's the shamrock you had tattooed on your forehead that attracted the other passenger. Do you sing Danny Boy with an Irish accent? On a side note, this running reply business has revolutionised my posts! No need to have my rough notebook to hand anymore, and every little thing that catches my eye gets a comment. I bet you're loving it.

We had a similar problem with the rain on our first full day in NYC. We, I say we when I mean the kids and myself, ended up in the toilets drying our socks and shoes in the driers. DH was less than impressed and insisted his feet were fine and he didn't need to dry out.

Oh my, and in a bookstore no less, it's like they found your place of sanctuary and tarnished it! you did very well. It must have been very frightening.

On to more pleasant things, that bag looks gorgeous. I'm very jealous.

Poot looks cute posing with the statue at the baseball game. Well, I didn't know the rain stops play the baseball the same as at Wimbledon.

I like that the only sad news about the day that Poot reports is the losing of the game. He doesn't seem traumatised by the angry woman, more just thinking of it as a weird thing that happened.

Goodness, you've been held up in a bookstore? Geez. I would never have thought of them as being so dangerous.

Obviously there's no trip report as good as yours...but fuellady did a great one of NYC posted in June or July which was perfect timing for me, but this was adults only. Recently my favorite has been Brett, Jo and Marceline at WDW. It's been posted slowly over the last few months and is very detailed with lots of photos of Marceline who was 9 months old. When I read each day I wish we'd taken our kids earlier. They had some fab days.
Rather than repeat myself in two separate replies (), I think I'll try and do one combined one...let's see how it goes...

Hmm...(Colette), I don't think either of us are prudes - but surely there are times and places! I spent a fair amount of time thinking about that chap's wife - I would be...uncomfortable (to say the least) if I knew that my DH was telling strangers (telling ANYBODY really) what time we...ahem.

When I wrote this report I tried to touch on that situation at the bookstore as lightly as I could. But you know me now - I was...sick until we left the city the following morning. My brain would just NOT allow me to think of anything else. But one of the many great things about being a mother? You have to go on - I think if it had just been me I would have holed up in the hotel room and dwelt.

The baseball game WAS a good distraction, though - I have MANY, MANY snaps of Poot copying the statues. A week from tonight we'll be at "Rod Carew Bobblehead Night" at Target Field.

Back to misery...when I read what Poot wrote - "She was angry at me - but I hadn't done anything wrong." - I did cry. He brought that day up to me only last week - so perhaps it affected him more than I thought at the time.

The cop, though - I think that might have been the worst of it. I have an old, OLD friend who did twenty years with the LAPD - and it DAMAGED him, there's no other way to say it.

(Abby), I worked in a bookshop for four or five years - and yep, we were robbed at gunpoint one night. My father was still alive then - I don't know that I ever saw him so distressed. I'd seen guns in the club(s) many times - but I tell you, when someone is pointing a shotgun at you...that's a different story.

No trippie as good as mine...honestly...you're just trying to make up for saying I talk too much about coronation chicken and carrot cake, aren't you? Well...keep it up.

PS: Now that you've guessed about the shamrock tattoo, I can stop photoshopping it out.

Edited at 09:41 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I wanted to tell you both that I have started my food report.

Actually, I felt a bit shy about saying it and kind of thought you might want to make your own minds up about what you read on the Dibb, but anyway...if you get a chance to pop over to the food reports and take a look then I would love to see you there.

Shall I or shan't I post? This reply has been sitting while I debate in my head with myself. Perhaps I over think things! You probably know that already. Ok, here goes.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I wanted to tell you both that I have started my food report.

Actually, I felt a bit shy about saying it and kind of thought you might want to make your own minds up about what you read on the Dibb, but anyway...if you get a chance to pop over to the food reports and take a look then I would love to see you there.

Shall I or shan't I post? This reply has been sitting while I debate in my head with myself. Perhaps I over think things! You probably know that already. Ok, here goes.
See you there -
Old 12 Aug 18, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Well that was all a bit dramatic wasn't it? Sounds like you handled it as well as you could all things considered. Certainly from reading Poot's recollections you did a great job as he didn't put too much emphasis on that particular part of the day in his report. I must admit that I would probably have retreated to the hotel until it was time for the train the next morning. Good on you for getting on with your plans.

Leaving that aside, I'm so pleased that the match was a fun event, in spite of the loss for your team. I love Poot's snaps with the statues.

Us Irish do get spotted where-ever we go, don't we? In my case the giveaway is my ginger hair. That and the leprechaun outfit!
SEAWORLD FAN is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
Well that was all a bit dramatic wasn't it? Sounds like you handled it as well as you could all things considered. Certainly from reading Poot's recollections you did a great job as he didn't put too much emphasis on that particular part of the day in his report. I must admit that I would probably have retreated to the hotel until it was time for the train the next morning. Good on you for getting on with your plans.

Leaving that aside, I'm so pleased that the match was a fun event, in spite of the loss for your team. I love Poot's snaps with the statues.

Us Irish do get spotted where-ever we go, don't we? In my case the giveaway is my ginger hair. That and the leprechaun outfit!
Mick-Spotting: For Fun & Profit

When we were in Scotland for the gymnastics, Poot proudly wore his "Irish" shirt to support young Rhys McClenaghan - and was utterly delighted to be featured on the big screen at the venue. But the ginger lasses did get the most screen time, no doubt about it.

Thinking back to what a crap day that was (in Maryland), I'm so grateful that it didn't seem to affect Poot long-term.

He brought it up a couple of weeks ago (when we were talking about going to Baltimore for something else) but it was pretty casual ("Remember that CRAZY lady, Mother? She sure was crazy.") so I felt rather proud of myself for not hiding (like I wanted to).

And (as you can see) I am even thinking about going BACK.

Who's the crazy lady now, eh?